• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No Vin Plate on 1976?

M3This

24 minutes ago, Schnellvintage said:

Ha! It’s only a problem when it becomes a problem.... just ask the executives at VW regarding the their diesels. ? LOL..
Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And you know, Matt, I wouldn’t be shocked if BMW simply shipped the VIN plate-less cars, knowing perhaps full well the VIN plates were required under some U.S. law, figuring, “We’ll address the situation when or if the U.S. raises it.” 

Best regards,

Steve

• Haha 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Well, to me a fiasco means repercussions or damage.  An unexpected shortage of a non-functional part is a logistics problem, but if there’s no damaging impact, it’s not a fiasco.  A fiasco would have been BMW having to halt sales or even stop shipments until the fender VIN plate was available again.

My hunch is Otto lost a roughly months worth of sequenced BMW 2002 fender VIN plates — and it was too difficult to get ‘em remade  — so they just skipped installing them until they hit the car build for the VIN tag in the next available box.  (More likely than they ran out...) So maybe our missing fender VIN plates are still siting in a box somewhere in an old dusty corner in Bavaria!

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

6 hours ago, Conserv said:

And you know, Matt, I wouldn’t be shocked if BMW simply shipped the VIN plate-less cars, knowing perhaps full well the VIN plates were required under some U.S. law, figuring, “We’ll address the situation when or if the U.S. raises it.” 

Best regards,

Steve

Steve, 

That's so true....  I wonder if BMW NA would make your car "right", with a VIN plate, after so many years, if you asked??

Hmmmmm.....

Enjoy,

Matt

• Like 1