• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any input for a 2002 newbie

Bibm5

You've gotta really be into an 02 in order to extract any enjoyment out of one. You drive an M5. In comparison to that:

• an 02 is dog slow
  • an 02 is noisy as hell
  • an 02 is smelly (usually)
  • an 02 leaks when it rains
  • an 02 sounds like it could blow up the motor at high speeds
  • an 02 has no A/C. If it does, it usually blows semi cold air.
  • an 02 need regular mantaince, if yo dont do this you WILL break down. Even if you do...you still will break down.

It all sounds pretty bleak, doesnt it?

NOPE! An 02 is such a fabulous driving car, pretty much everyone here puts up with all the above AND finds all the of the above endearing. Its a slow car that feels fast and is fun! Many people just dont get it. If you dont...just move on, and dont worry about it.  The first time you drive one, you should either be hooked, or see how you can be. 

I don't know what the first few posters were smoking.

Given your location, as I was paging through the pics, I was thinking that

the car was probably worth 2-3, maybe as high as 4-5 in today's market,

given that it'd need a good scrub inside and out, a few shift bushings, and

probably some mechanical (brakes first, carb second) work, ASSuming that the engine's

ok.

For $1k, why not?  Clean it, see if you can get it running, see if it grows on you.  If it does, spend more on it.

If not, don't, and see if anyone else wants it.

They seem to, these days.

These are just old production cars, they're only special when you're driving them.  And when sorted,

they're pretty special to drive- in context.

For fun,  totally.

As an 'investment', well, I have a bridge i can sell you that'll do better in the 5-7 year market.

hee

t

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

The deal is actually sweeter than just the car. I also get about $1k worth of firearms with it! I'm starting to get excited for it. What's nice about my situation is that when i have a project like this I just stick it right in the middle of my cabinet shop and just work on it as I get time. Honestly, if I couldn't do that I'm not sure I would be able to get away with projects like this (wife can always find something more important I should be doing with my time).
I plan to repaint it the same color out of ease but Im tempted to do a full color change. Is that something that's frowned on in the community or since it won't be high end does it really matter either way?
Any color suggestions?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, Bibm5 said:

It blows me away when people create threads that are discussed over and over again. They could literally just copy and paste their question into Google and have the answers / threads in less time than it takes to blink.

You are going to fit right in here.

-----------------------------

In regards to color change.  No, it's not frowned upon if we're talking a complete change of a relatively unpopular color.  By complete, I mean removing old paint.  The new color should be from BMW's in-period color options. Lots of pictures of your rust repair will go a million miles if you plan on resale.  You'd be surprised how many "flipper-restorers" view fiberglass patches or shoddy work as acceptable practice.  Prove via photos you are not one of those and you will do well.

A classy restomod is a fun route to go.  Figure the following (in addition to your normal restoration work):

1) hotrod M10 (9.5:1 / 292 / weber 40DCOE's

2) Recaro (or similar) seats

3) Momo/Nardi/etc. steering wheel

3) Early/Euro Bumpers

4) Euro-style turn signals

5) 5-speed transmission

6) decent lowering springs / swaybars / bushings

7) Period-correct neat wheels (14" NK steelies, 13/14" Enkei Apache IV's, 15" BBS RS, recreation 13"/14" BBS E30's, Campagnolo's, etc.  see wheel database here on FAQ)

Two must-have books:

1) 2002 restoration guide (Mike McCartney)

2) 2002 Factory Repair Manual (out-of-print, expect to pay around $150 for the set... or download digital copy here on the FAQ).

Best of luck on the project, you might just end up keeping it.

-Andrew

• Like 1

...and to add my opinion to Andrew's last point, unless you WANT to paint it for the fun of doing it,

get it running and driving well, and see what you think.  If you hate it, just reshoot it.

If you love it, paint it your favorite color and drive the wheels off.

t

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

For the record, I wasn't trying being negative.  Just real, from having just finished up a build myself.  Most words I am not interested in just go in one eye and out the other, but the word 'flip' hits and sticks, and I get a tad defensive.  So I apologize if that came across as salty..  

The 2002 flip band wagon has become a long freight train as of late, and there is soooo much bad work out there.. with nonsensical modern twists to either save a buck, or to try and be different (like everyone else).  And most buyers want a nice specimen that is fairly original looking, that they can then have fun catering and customizing to their own tastes.   

Point is, bring her back.  Do it right and do it well.. don't go custom if you are intending to sell, leave that to the bright eyed enthusiast. (like me!)

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

4 minutes ago, eurotrash said:

and if you want to be clever, keep the exterior as designed, and make the underpinnings BEAST. 

Who would do such a thing?

:D

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

I wasn't offended at all. Yes I do flip car as a hobby but I flip run of the mill beaters, not classics. This car is not "necessarily" a flip. I plan to bring it back to road worthy and if I fall in love along the way ill keep it and if not I'll let someone else enjoy it. I just love bringing life back into cars that people gave up on.
I'm not going the restomod route because I just don't know these cars inside and out like one should that plans to do that. I would end up creating a mutant that no one would want!

4 hours ago, ray_ said:

Who would do such a thing?

I can't hardly tell yours has changed (except for the noisy exhaust)!

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

3 hours ago, eurotrash said:

Guess I'm not so clever...  but I used to be.  Then I needed more.

19095811_10105149811104184_1031514748_o.jpg

Lookin' phat!

;-)

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

I think the car is ready for saving. Another year or two and she wont be worth saving but as she stands right now i think she will clean up nicely. A little love goes along way with these cars.

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

I plan to post some updates as I make some progress. Should I post to this thread or make a new thread for that? I plan to install the cabinet job this Friday so you guys can see what exactly I'm trading for it also.