• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any input for a 2002 newbie

Bibm5

Mechanical is pretty much done. There are still a couple odds and ends to do but nothing major. I put insurance on it and took it for its maiden voyage to the tag office. It actually reduced my monthly insurance bill by $7.50! I guess since we have 3 cars with full coverage and i put basic liability on the 02' to them this just means less time behind the wheel of a car they would actually have to pay out on!
Took it for an hr drive. The results were actually really good. Brakes work perfect, suspension is nice and tight, steering doesn't pull, no crazy noises or anything. Even took it on the interstate for a few minutes. In just the short time I was parked at the tag office I had an e30 park next to me and then a guy in a newly restored wesfalia pulled up and we talked for a few. Yes I had no trunk lid on( latch is giving issues so I haven't put it back on yet). The only complaint I had about it was throttle response was spotty. I'm sure adjustments would fix that but the new weber 38 is going soon so I won't mess with it. c5d7505b202af669384e4121d368fe1b.jpg52aefd9ba4628893aebdfda1c50dac69.jpg26c6c8dab326adac7841cffa1d917a2f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Exhaust pipe adjusted from gas station to the DMV.  
Yeah I noticed that too! I hacked the exhaust out in a few pieces to get it out of my way while working on the car. Once the car is done being worked on totally and painted then I'll take it to an exhaust shop and have redo it all.

So i went ahead and put the new weber 38/38 carb on today and all I can say is WOW! I was nervous about tuning because of all the threads I've read on it but right out of the box it's awesome!

This is the car I was hoping it would be all this time. Amazing throttle response, possibly even better than my 2008 m5!

Although it now had the pep and power I wanted something still wasn't right. So I did a good ol' muffler delete and honestly I think the results sound awesome...

I'm sorry to the purists... b7c4b9e7477361fb5153f847eb368427.jpg&key=a9fc1ee7bc3d7480f29c3470339fba693e584b5f20549fe10e8346cdc6496903

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but in the end it's YOUR car & YOUR project.

I think it's a little loud and might get obnoxious for daily driving (you know you'll want to), but regardless, it sounds pretty sweet! Definitely want to see more videos!

For some reason it reminds me of my E39 M5 muffler delete a few years back, of course without the deep V8 rumble. Sounds great for a 2.0L 4cyl.

-Slavik

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but in the end it's YOUR car & YOUR project.

I think it's a little loud and might get obnoxious for daily driving (you know you'll want to), but regardless, it sounds pretty sweet! Definitely want to see more videos!

For some reason it reminds me of my E39 M5 muffler delete a few years back, of course without the deep V8 rumble. Sounds great for a 2.0L 4cyl.

Thanks! I had a muffler delete on my last e39 540i and I loved it. My e60 m5 has exhaust cutouts so you can go from stealth mode to beast mode at the push of a button which is awesome!

My daily driver is a v10 F250 which has a magna flow exhaust but is still pretty quiet for the most part. I drive the M5 maybe 1-2 evenings a week if that.

The 2002 will probably driven about that much also and when I do drive it I will want it to sound as fun as it is to drive!

Once I get the 02' a little cleaner I'll probably do a walk around video.

I admit it does sound really nice. I am now considering a muffler delete on mine. I think I will do that after your how to on sound deadening... :)

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

I admit it does sound really nice. I am now considering a muffler delete on mine. I think I will do that after your how to on sound deadening... [emoji4]
Honestly it really isn't that bad in the car and there is surprising almost zero exhaust drone inside the car. A single exhaust cutout is pretty cheap, probably only $50 or so. Then then you could have the magic mute/ loud button!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bibm5 said:

Honestly it really isn't that bad in the car and there is surprising almost zero exhaust drone inside the car. A single exhaust cutout is pretty cheap, probably only $50 or so. Then then you could have the magic mute/ loud button!

How exactly does that work?

-Slavik

How exactly does that work?
It's pretty simple actually. it's just a y pipe with an electronic valve that you can open which allows the exhaust to dump out just before the muffler. Then when you're ready to pull back into your neighborhood you close it up and your back as quiet as a stock muffler. I didn't even know they existed before I bought my M5 which already had them done. Youtube has tons of videos of them.
My apologies. The qtp (name brand) version is more. The off brand version is cheap though. 83f373d379a8430c0396bff77d1b7d13.jpg

• Like 1