• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

e30 325is

nomalt

Hey guys,

Thinking about picking up an e30. Anyone have both a 2002 and a 325...specifically 325is. 

What are the pros and cons of the e30? Thanks if you have the time!

mal

1974 BMW 2002

1989 BMW 325is

2011 Toyota RAV4 v6

• 2 months later...

The less-exalted eta-engine E30 is fun; it's cheaper than the 'is' version, too.

Pros:  Relatively cheap to purchase. Tell your wife or gf: "It's cheap. What's the harm? Come on, honey...."

Very ruggedly built. The M20 is a very tough engine in either the 'i' or 'eta' variants. Safer than the 2002 in a crash.

Much less prone to rust than the 2002.

Parts availability is very good. Prices are not too bad either.

More power/torque than the 2002. Better handling vs the 2002. 5-speed transmissions! LSD on many of them. Better ventilation, a/c.

A great compromise between the older BMWs and the newer BMWs; a 'bridge' of sorts. More comfortable on road trips than the 02.  - - - FUN.

Cons:  Will distract you from your 2002, your NK sedan, your CS coupe, your Bavaria, your E28, your E36, your E46, etc., etc.

Will eat up the $$$ that you were going to put into your 2002.

Will try to take the garage space that your 2002 had exclusively reserved.

18951350_10212065725417305_507657669322576975_n.jpg

Edited by Jim_75Sahara
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 325ix touring, I just love to drive this thing. 

The M20 has such a great sound, you just want to keep redlining it :)

E30s are still very easy to work on yourself + parts are readily available both from BMW and aftermarket.

Do look for rust when you buy one, front floors, rear boxes on the sides, battery tray... to name a few.

35571723772_f887035bed_c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I’m looking for an e30 right now as well.  I’m finding two extremes out there on the market, either beat up bad, or really nice.  Prices on e30s are nudging up too, so the nice ones are pushing $8k or $9k.  Rust and high mileage seemed to be the killer on many e30s so watch out for that.  Lots of tastefully modified cars out there too, which is what I’m looking for.  Good luck!

'03 BMW Z4 3.0i

’89 BMW 325is

'80 Mercedes-Benz 300SD
'20 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT

• 1 month later...

Thanks to all those who replied. 

After looking for awhile, I picked up an 87 325is about a month ago.

I was looking for a couple of things:

1) Nice Driver condition, not a +10k showcar and not a beater

2) Stock as possible

3) Manual transmission

4) Alpine White w/ a tan interior

5) 1990 or 1991 when they had airbags

6) 325i or 325is; an "is" would have been a plus but not a deal breaker.

So the car I purchased didn't hit all the marks but still happy with the new addition. 

What I really like:

1) 6 cylinder power - and I don't have to put in premium gas. (My 2002 knocks like crazy if I don't use premium due to the enlarged pistons.)

2) While talking about gassing up: I can fill up the tank at full speed and not have to worry about gas spilling out the side when it is full!

3) Electric everything - just like a modern car! Locks! Sunroof! Side Mirrors!

4) Doesn't smell like exhaust when I drive

5) Cabin is pretty much air tight, not like my noisy '02

6) Doesn't burn oil unlike my '02

However, don't get me wrong, the car is far from perfect. Suspension has all been but neglected. The stance is odd due to the fact is has lowering springs in the front and stock springs in the back (kinda has a 'dragster' stance). Mice have gnawed at some the engine wiring. It is completely missing the front air dam. Timing belt was way past it's deadline, and that was the first thing I had done to the car. I spent 4 hours trying to clean just one of the wheels because there was so much brake dust that was caked on and pitted the wheels. Only 3 more to go!

But so far it has been a blast to drive and own!!

1974 BMW 2002

1989 BMW 325is

2011 Toyota RAV4 v6

I forgot to add to what I liked about the 325is:

A/C!

Of course I also said that the car is not perfect. I will like the car even more after I get the A/C fixed. haha

1974 BMW 2002

1989 BMW 325is

2011 Toyota RAV4 v6

have had a bunch of e30's.  etas, is's, euro models, M50 swap, coupes, sedan, track car, race cars, etc.  currently race two of them.

easy to work on, fun to drive, fairly bullet proof.

BUT....these things are OLD.  EVERY piece of rubber in the car needs to be replaced if it has not been done recently.  belts, fuel and brake hoses, bushings, etc.

there are a bunch of well documented issues with these cars.  get a Bentley manual.  it will be your best friend.

here is one of my E30 save threads here...

Edited by mlytle
  • Like 1

2xM3