• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

I've been going steady on the megasquirt build, getting easier! Still kinda scratching my head about the throttle linkeage. There is a long lever on the flucrum on the throttle body that was having clearance issues with the manifold so I flipped the throttle body around. Now that same lever is hitting the brake booster. Hmmm. Thinking I need to take this pesky lever off and flip back the normal orientation.

IMG_3580.JPG

IMG_3582.JPG

Edited by LikeStig

31 minutes ago, 1974_Verona said:

Unintentional pedal box fun :-/

Are you buying a cover for the box?  IMHO I believe it reduces noise and (maybe) temperature from outside.  I know the old covers are disgusting after they've been saturated in fluid and water, but the new ones seem better skinned and tougher.

If you do, glue it onto the box before install.  It's WAY easier.  I used 3M marine glue liberally on the surface of the box.

73 Inka Tii #2762958

What a day, what a day, what a day!!

Started off by picking up all my Epoxy painted bits from my buddy's shop. Unfortunately the painter failed to mask off much of anything(Industrial paint shop, so I can't really blame em), so I've got some cleanup to do on some threads, shafts, and bores. But for the low low price of free, I'm not complaining!! They at least did remember to not paint the inside of the oil pan.
abe2c652a9f38eac7289a93cf44e3c77.jpg
712efaf8769e9d3000f772393dec8734.jpg
0ed72a1e303d279b44bf4e19f67278dc.jpg
After that, I swung by my new favorite person, my machinist :) I picked up my re-worked head with 8 new valves he thinned down for extra piston clearance.
65fb405f57f7810c0b6ef4e1424daaa7.jpg
0a224021ae2a18d3cc411fcc635c369e.jpg
I also chose to respect the opinions of my elders and scrub-a-lub-a-dub-dub my block... turned out there wasn't much gunk or residue left, but at least I feel like I went the extra mile for insurance.
f2f5777c3cd8c0b78fad7d8b34154dbd.jpg
(Yes, that's an espresso cup of dish soap)

After cleaning up, I then got to placing my bearings and checking for clearance. All 5 mains measured almost dead-to-nuts .05mm, which I feel sits nicely in the .03-.07mm spec BMW calls for.
f53e1112aa4f4f76d5f55b38855a3917.jpg

Feeling happy with myself I went ahead and assembly lubed up the bearing shells, put a light coat of oil on the threads, and torqued everything down to 60nm in 35-45-55-60 intervals and called it a night.
a9f21d5b628d0b139b5079be2b1c0fc3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

36 minutes ago, PaulTWinterton said:

covers are disgusting

My advice is to skip the pedal box rotting foam cover.

If I had installed mine, it would be saturated with the fluid that is leaking out of my brand new replacement clutch master and I would be peeling the glued on messy thing off, to salvage my box, before it rusted out again.

I sold the cover I'd bought on eBay, for a PROFIT (of a couple bucks), because (I believe) they are currently NLA.  

The inside rubber box cover is a wonderful thing.  I wish they did not tear so easily though.  

I don't believe there is a lot of noise on that side of the engine, compared to the exhaust side and the inner cover/carpet/floor mat provides plenty of insulation.  It is just not worth the risk of fluid saturation, IMHO.

Sorry Paul. :D 

1 minute ago, '76mintgrun'02 said:

My advice is to skip the pedal box rotting foam cover.

No, no, no!  It has a skin on it, and can be wiped off unless it's left too long.   Mine still looks new and it's been in there for 4 years.   Less noise, warm in the winter, cooler in summer.  BMW put it on there for a reason.

Ok never mind.:P

73 Inka Tii #2762958

I am not concerned with water, so much as brake fluid from the inside.

I think it is a cool attention to detail and any improvement in sound dampening is awesome.  I would never suggest that BMW designers would make a mistake (God forbid), I just don't think they expected these cars to be driven long enough for such a thing to be a problem.  

What would you do if you discovered that your clutch master had been leaking in under your glued on cover?  Peel it off, or leave that brake fluid trapped in there?

I believe that yours still looks new, but your car never gets wet.  

The cover is a worthwhile improvement for you. yes, yes, yes it is.

Not for me.

I see why you like it... but we disagree.

Maybe you should give me a call on the phone, so we can really mince words.

Or, better yet, come for another visit.  I will make tacos! :)

Edited by '76mintgrun'02