• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

7 minutes ago, jp5Touring said:

Purchased a set of Recaro's for my 73 2002. Now their on a slow boat from Thailand.

You will NOT be disappointed ... the whole 'thai post' tracking thing is a bit whacky ... but just trust in it ... 

mine are amazing (two post up!) ... if you need drawings for low-profile adapters ... LMK ... i have them ... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1970 1600-2 VERONA conversion at Moment Motors

1 hour ago, Geoff Raynak said:

You will NOT be disappointed ... the whole 'thai post' tracking thing is a bit whacky ... but just trust in it ... 

mine are amazing (two post up!) ... if you need drawings for low-profile adapters ... LMK ... i have them ... 

Thanks, I might have to take you up on the offer.  Pretty  excited, he said he was going to stop making them after  the first of the year.    

I cleaned up my new used instrument bezel and one of my Son's coworkers redid the pinstripe around the gauges.

Turned out,  he did a great job on the pinstripe. Also repainted  the backing rings and redid the matte white. Now the fun begins. ?

IMG_3086.thumb.JPG.07331a29d024b3a33d9fc3def0b27eec.JPG 

Edited by jp5Touring
  • Like 2

My car has been down for a couple months now because of the carb leaking gas [emoji20].
Over the last few weeks I have been making good progress.
I have replaced the needle and seat and the accelerater pump diaphragm in the 38/38, added a phenolic spacer, replaced intake manifold gaskets, swapped the old tired starter out for the e21 starter I've had waiting on the shelf, replaced the trashed cooling fan blade for the one off the parts e21 and desmogged the car. There's probably a few more things I did also that I can't think of.
Started the car (BTW, it started up so quick and I forgot that I had swapped the starter I actually thought something was wrong!), took it for a 15 minute test drive and it worked perfect!
Next day I loaded the kids in the car to head to a euro meet and about 1 minute into the drive I heard what sounded like a hose bursting and I smelled coolant.
Apparently a fresh cooling fan blade with nice squared edges plus old tired engine mounts equal sad times...
Well... 3 more days until we have our third child so I'm thinking I miiiiiggghhhttt be able to have the car back on the road again by 2022...[emoji24] I tried so hard to get it back on the road before we got back into newborn mode. Apparently the car gods have different plans though. 774e450d71920fda64b1f5967a6a45fb.jpg1d7f5c42812e5d5084a95c528ff26586.jpgb737e24bdfa2d1cc16cfb3b144f551f8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

Today I installed an excellent used passenger side front turn signal assembly I got through Tom Mintrgrun the Master Tinker, thanks Tom. My original was smashed after my car rolled away in a parking lot. 

Getting ready for the 8 months of rain and snow.  For the last few vacation days I've been working mostly under the rear of the car including the wheel wells addressing potential future rust areas. I cleaned road dirt and reformed any surface rust I could find then painted w/ POR15, shot cavity wax in every orifice and used 3M seam sealer liberally where needed and finally sprayed 3M rubberized undercoating. During this work I discovered some poor welding panel replacement sections on the upper part of drivers side wheel well. That area scares me, hope my fix last a few years. I got the car for a good price but I always feel like it's a ticking rust time bomb due to the poor prep work for the sloppy repaint. 

I removed my rear IE fiberglass bumper and support tube so I could re-spray the area behind and below the bumper and around to the lower side of the body back to the wheels. Not a perfect match but that area is pretty much out of casual sight. I also started to repair the bumper since I backed into my garage a couple weeks ago and cracked the fiberglass. I reinforced the inner radius with three new layers of fiberglass cloth and am still working on the repainting the damaged area.

Q.  Wondering if I should just repaint both bumpers chrome color? I'm not a big fan of the body matched painted bumpers but also wonder if spray can chrome would look cheesy. These came painted from the PO.

DSC_5112.JPG

DSC_5107.JPG

DSC_5115.JPG

• Like 1

Drove it maybe 20 miles. A guy stopped me in the parking lot and told me about how he has a 2002 that's been sitting in his garage for a long time with the head off. He had had the head rebuilt after a mechanic cracked it when trying to pull a broken exhaust stud, and no mechanic would put it back on for him [affordably?]. So I am going to help him put it back on pretty soon. Sounds fun!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

'74 Verona

Finally finished the front left A post repair on the Touring.

Took a while to get everything to line up a the lower corner of the door sticked out at the quarted panel a lot

Was able to use my spotwelder to weld it to the inner panel and sill. I did add a couple of plugwelds just to be sure :)

48553108087_b9258da34a_b.jpg

48552961891_2f0586a525_b.jpg

Nice even 4mm gap top to bottom. 

48553106007_2a5d59a106_b.jpg

48552958716_97b0c43112_b.jpg

• Like 3

after having spent a lot of time fiddeling with the dbilas airbox to adapt to 45ers adding trumpets etc. - I looked at it and thought no that's too modern.

So back to start this time with a different approach: I had a beaten up Neue Klasse ti airbox and I have no brake booster so I can basically do whatever I want. After some testing I ended up with a classic looking idea.

I'll insert slide in trumpets from the inside of the airbox. The position doesn't really allow for a filter at the back - so I'll plug that.

In the front I'll add a cool air intake and a larger cone filter under a modified Air cleaner cover. If I move the voltage regulator this should work well and look decent.

IMG_3599_k.JPG

IMG_3612_k.JPG

IMG_3613_k.JPG

Edited by uai
  • Like 4