• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

Disassembled my exterior door handles, interior window cranks, and the sunroof crank to send the pot metal parts in to be re-chromed. Nothing was broken but it was all very dirty, pitted, etc. Did my initial cleaning of the guts of the door latches, it is an amazingly intricate and complex mechanism. Almost looks like a work of art.

Got my nicely repaired pedal box back from my fabricator with all the rust gone for good, out with the old, in with nice patch pieces welded in. He also welded in Blunt's left side engine mount reinforcement. Off for powder coating tomorrow.

Packaged up a box of interior goodies to be rechromed, going out tomorrow.

Inventoried and got the front subframe and most of the suspension components ready to go to powder coating, also happening tomorrow.

Progress!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, PapaG said:

Disassembled my exterior door handles, interior window cranks, and the sunroof crank to send the pot metal parts in to be re-chromed. Nothing was broken but it was all very dirty, pitted, etc. Did my initial cleaning of the guts of the door latches, it is an amazingly intricate and complex mechanism. Almost looks like a work of art.

Got my nicely repaired pedal box back from my fabricator with all the rust gone for good, out with the old, in with nice patch pieces welded in. He also welded in Blunt's left side engine mount reinforcement. Off for powder coating tomorrow.

Packaged up a box of interior goodies to be rechromed, going out tomorrow.

Inventoried and got the front subframe and most of the suspension components ready to go to powder coating, also happening tomorrow.

Progress!

Wow! Gonna look amazing. What was the re-chroming price for the exterior door handles, window cranks and sunroof crank?

Enjoy!

Scott

Took delivery of the tii tank from Maximillian, only to discover that it’s a Euro version without the corner cutout required to fit a ‘74 US tii.  So back into the gas tank cleanup game.  Soaked the tank in Berrymans, then acetone, shaking a heavy chain around to get the gray film off the sides.  There’s no real rust in the tank to speak of, but letting the tank sit while exulting over my new purchase has resulted in light flash rust on the bottom. Will hit the tank tomorrow with Ospho to convert any rust to iron phosphate, toss it in seafoam or ATF, and have it installed and full of gas within a few days.  Have some 3M rope caulk to use for a gasket/seal.

Meantime a few final tweaks to be done to update the linkages, dial in the basic KF mixture and installation of the missing support brackets and wiring harness (fthanks Paul W).  Finally, will install and runners 2 and 3 and fire up this newish fuel delivery system.

• Like 1

‘74 Fjord 2002tii (Zouave)

’80 Alpenweiss 528i (Evelyn)

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

‘56 Savage Model 99 in .250-3000

18 hours ago, 0257 said:

Took delivery of the tii tank from Maximillian, only to discover that it’s a Euro version without the corner cutout required to fit a ‘74 US tii.  So back into the gas tank cleanup game.  Soaked the tank in Berrymans, then acetone, shaking a heavy chain around to get the gray film off the sides.  There’s no real rust in the tank to speak of, but letting the tank sit while exulting over my new purchase has resulted in light flash rust on the bottom. Will hit the tank tomorrow with Ospho to convert any rust to iron phosphate, toss it in seafoam or ATF, and have it installed and full of gas within a few days.  Have some 3M rope caulk to use for a gasket/seal.

Meantime a few final tweaks to be done to update the linkages, dial in the basic KF mixture and installation of the missing support brackets and wiring harness (fthanks Paul W).  Finally, will install and runners 2 and 3 and fire up this newish fuel delivery system.

Ospho Day in Sarasota: found a use for that 1/4” silicone I mistakenly bought some months back.  0FE56B43-D965-45A2-81AA-D8AFF48BD55F.jpegPoured in  most of a quart of Ospho, kept it moving around in the tank for the better part of a half hour, emptied it.  Emptied it.  Emptied it.  Emptied it.Used the big shop vac to do an initial dry, wiped down surfaces with soft cloth to speed drying and take up loose residue.  Now it sits in front of the box fan for 24 hours.

Before:

2B1586E8-E05A-4F30-91B5-FC7497BE164B.jpeg

After:

image.jpeg

AA998ACE-F1F9-4CA3-A5F3-99DE3083F8B8.jpeg

The necessary accoutrement (minus gorilla tape and eye protection):

0B6228FC-919F-4946-B1A6-2C4C66461C27.jpeg

We’ll see how it looks tomorrow.  The prescription is to swish a solvent (acetone, mineral spirits, gasoline) around in the tank briefly to pick up any scale or loose bits; then it’s supposed to be good to go.  We’ll see — stay tuned!

C7F63469-17A9-4C00-BC48-37D4BE9B4805.jpeg

Edited by 0257
One photo out of place
  • Like 4

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

Deep cleaned the door latching/locking mechanisms. Nasty, grimy 45 year old grease nearly solidified in lots of nooks and crannies. No wonder the locks barely worked.  But they cleaned up well and are now lubed up with some white lithium grease and as good as new. All the screws were buggered up, one was missing, bump stops were dissolved and torn, so I ordered all new ones from Maximillian. 

65179484717__2EFB5ACE-471C-4791-81B5-22B18ABA1A60.jpeg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, PapaG said:

But they cleaned up well and are now lubed up with some white lithium grease

Noooooooooo....!!!! ?

That white lithium grease gets hard and waxy pretty quickly gumming up the whole works again. 

Remove that stuff and find a decent synthetic grease instead. 

I scraped gobs of that white gunk from the window mechanisms of my 2000CS. The windows would no longer operate because the lithium grease had hardened up. 

Ed

• Like 3

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

3 hours ago, zinz said:

That white lithium grease gets hard and waxy pretty quickly gumming up the whole works again. 

Interesting - I am pretty sure I read here in this forum that that was the way to go. Now is the time to fix it! Thanks. 

• Like 2

Another post somewhere recommended lock-specific Teflon spray for the metal on metal sliding parts, which most of those are.

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

On 8/21/2021 at 9:35 AM, PaulTWinterton said:

My experience with verboten screws is that they show 1-3 threads from the factory.  After a recalibration by rebuilders that measurement still stands.ScrewMarked1.jpgI have adjusted the screw to show more threads which is enriching the mixture.  The AFR gauge will be the ultimate test to see how rich/lean your system actually is.

I think the rule should be to adjust your d-cam to partially cover the hole before you adjust the verboten screw.  If you can get smooth running and proper AFR readings without adjusting the verboten screw that would be best.

If you need further instruction on adjusting procedure of the d-cam, air screw and idle screw please post your questions.

Hi Paul,

i took your advice and didn’t touch the verboten screw. Instead, I’ve gone back and rechecked everything. After getting the d-cam set, I still can’t get rid of the surge at idle, even if I back the mixture screw all the way off. I’ve sprayed carb cleaner looking for vacuum leaks, to no avail. So, I thought back to anything that might have changed. IF, I pulled off the bracket on the pump that has the notches for the 5mm hook and didn’t get it back on the shaft coming out of the pump right, could that cause the lean mixture? I marked it before pulling it when I had the motor apart, but now I’m second guessing everything. If yes, is there a procedure to get it back in the right spot? I could not find anything in the Tii Fuel Injection System manual or the Macartney restoration guide. Thoughts?

Took my now completed interior redo to today's Houston '02 Gruppe C&C!  @esty carpet kit, WN front seat cushions and now correct early style door panels, FrankenHaar rear seat, seat covers with houndstooth inserts from 'zoomzoomzoom-ing' on eBay, REPA seatbelts and freshly plated seat hinges by Speed and Sport Chrome Houston.

Houston 02 Gruppe 8_28_2021-24.jpg

All the C&C pics here:   https://www.lftphotography.com/MotorSports/Houston02GruppeDec2020/Houston-02-Gruppe-CC-Aug-2021/

Edited by LindrelT
  • Like 5