• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

On 6/2/2022 at 5:39 AM, jp5Touring said:

Wednesday Night Cruise at Gilmore Car Museum.

IMG_4255.thumb.jpg.c1e8011674276131fb799e30d2e6ffdd.jpg

Cool to see my old touring. I sold it to Rudy some years ago and recently sold again at auction after a partial liquidation of his collection. 

• Like 2

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

First phase of wiring harness was laying out the stock harness.  

Now we have phase two; laying out the new stuff!  I cannot thank you guys enough for the wiring ideas.  In a fun note, got to brake out the kapton tape! (even if it’s a weak excuse)

Basics:

- two Eaton fuse/relay boxes

- Eaton power distributor

- 02again’s battery trays

This weekend, the wiring starts. 

66284613-9E8F-4125-A163-60AEC411E3F1.jpeg

F3D465BE-D02C-4E8B-97B8-945DE34BEFE5.jpeg

2150712A-35F8-42EA-9C57-52D8A5E3FA7B.jpeg

C5FCB374-6611-4835-8987-507E07797ADF.jpeg

• Like 9

Finally beginning to get back to Schmidt a little bit after a long list of honey-dos and other chores (still ongoing).  Working on my caliper rebuilds project but also at the same time went ahead and ordered new calipers (and have received) just in case. 

One piston is stuck in each caliper I'm rebuilding (air pressure didn't work), so the plan is to install them temporarily back on the car and see if brake fluid pressure will pop them out. (yes this will be done carefully!)

The only problem w/ the new calipers is that the top bleeder screws installed by Cardone are to long to clear my original 13" steelies.  This is why I returned a previous set.  This time I'm swapping the top bleeder screws from the calipers I'm rebuilding to the new Cardones to see how that works.  I'd like to find out where I can buy new short bleeder screws. 

Also I've received the new brake fluid reservoir / hoses kit from Ireland engineering which I will be installing.  Lastly the underside cleanup will continue.

• Like 1

Pop a grease fitting into the bleeder instead of the bleeder and use a grease gun to fill the passage ways and pump the pistons out that way        Plug the 2 lines and the pistons should come out nicely.     Grease is easy to clean up and you can do this on the bench       I have a set of internal pipe wrench style tool that I use on the pistons if they are frozen to get them to turn and break free, then put the halves back together and use air or grease to pop the pistons out.     When taking the calipers apart, loosen the nut , don't try to loosen the ribe bolt and replace the 2 o rings between the calipers.     

Thanks, Rick 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, AceAndrew said:

First phase of wiring harness was laying out the stock harness.  

Now we have phase two; laying out the new stuff!  I cannot thank you guys enough for the wiring ideas.  In a fun note, got to brake out the kapton tape! (even if it’s a weak excuse)

Basics:

- two Eaton fuse/relay boxes

- Eaton power distributor

- 02again’s battery trays

This weekend, the wiring starts. 

Subscribe!  So awesome. I would love to see more info on your approach when you are done.  I pulled my entire harness, bought a few Bussman fuse/relay distribution blocks and even found a place to buy all new striped GXL wire that matches the factory harness so I could have some semblance of organization from the original wire diagram, but I chickened out when trying to consider the blinker, hazard switch, ignition switch situation, while trying to keep all the original switches and gauge cluster plugs etc.  In the end I'm just re-wrapping the factory harness, relocating the battery and putting it all back in so I can drive it before 2023.  ;)

image.thumb.jpeg.fbf625f794bad189b853cde7c527c909.jpeg

4RCUSTOMSWIRE.COM

We sell stripe automotive wire and harley wiring harnesses 540 + colors available same day shipping with lengths from 5 to 500 feet of made in america gxl txl wire for all vehicles Harley, Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Cat Trucks, cars motorcycles and more

Edited by wheelieking
Adding link to striped wire vendor.
  • Like 3

59 minutes ago, stephers said:

When taking the calipers apart, loosen the nut , don't try to loosen the ribe bolt and replace the 2 o rings between the calipers.     

Rick,

Do you think I should ditch the brake fluid pressure plan and go w/ the grease?  Also, could you clarify the quoted sentence?  I'm not sure what nut you mention that I should loosen, as the 4 ribe bolts hold the caliper halves together.  Are you saying I should or should not separate the halves? (which I didn't know I could or should do)?

Thanks,

Bob

It's like Christmas in June!  Took advantage of the W&N 20 Euros off deal and ordered some stuff for the Thrasher.  New OEM late style door panels in Marine Blue.  They don't offer repros on the late panels so had to go with OEM ($$).  Also a roll of their foil type door liner stuff.  And... Look what the kind folks from W&N included for "free".  A nice parts book in a binder and they even included a sticker and a little note pad.  Aww! ?

Freinds, I'm afraid that I'm beginning to slip down that slippery slope that we all know too well.  At this rate I'll have to figure out a new name for The Thrasher...

DoorPanels1.jpg

DoorPanels2.jpg

DoorPanels3.jpg

• Like 3

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

31 minutes ago, JohnS said:

It's like Christmas in June!  Took advantage of the W&N 20 Euros off deal and ordered some stuff for the Thrasher.  New OEM late style door panels in Marine Blue.  They don't offer repros on the late panels so had to go with OEM ($$).  Also a roll of their foil type door liner stuff.  And... Look what the kind folks from W&N included for "free".  A nice parts book in a binder and they even included a sticker and a little note pad.  Aww! ?

Freinds, I'm afraid that I'm beginning to slip down that slippery slope that we all know too well.  At this rate I'll have to figure out a new name for The Thrasher...

DoorPanels1.jpg

DoorPanels2.jpg

DoorPanels3.jpg

Cash’er?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

‘74 Fjord 2002tii (Zouave)

’80 Alpenweiss 528i (Evelyn)

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

‘56 Savage Model 99 in .250-3000

53 minutes ago, 0257 said:

Cash’er?

"At this rate I'll have to think of a new name for the The Thrasher..."

I was thinking maybe "Pura chinga!" ? Like SydneyTii said:  "I'll stop now"

John

Edited by JohnS
  • Like 1

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

NO, keep the halves together until you have all the pistons popped out, then you can split them     The ribe end of the bolts are weak so just hold them and undo the nuts from the other end ( so you don't end up messing up the ribe end of the bolt, these are NLA )      You can get the small square cut O rings for between the halves from the people at  PMB, they sell the o rings separately         I like splitting my calipers so I can really clean them well, usually glass bead them        I am in the middle of doing a set of tii calipers

• Like 1

7 hours ago, stephers said:

NO, keep the halves together until you have all the pistons popped out, then you can split them     The ribe end of the bolts are weak so just hold them and undo the nuts from the other end ( so you don't end up messing up the ribe end of the bolt, these are NLA )      You can get the small square cut O rings for between the halves from the people at  PMB, they sell the o rings separately         I like splitting my calipers so I can really clean them well, usually glass bead them        I am in the middle of doing a set of tii calipers

Ah, I think the confusion here is that I don't have Tii calipers, but non-Tii.  There are no bolts on them.  So, I think I will not attempt to separate the halves.  Thanks!