• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

7 hours ago, stapler123 said:

Was this with the window and dash in? I can tell it was repaired, but it looks pretty dang good. Any elaboration on the wiped on paint and which epoxy would be great!

Yes with the windows and dash in place. Once I wipe away some excess paint and put armorall on the dash, you won't be able to see it. 

Just regular 2 part clear epoxy and some Rust-Oleum satin spray paint sprayer into a cup and then dabbed on with a foam brush

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

43 minutes ago, Stevenc22 said:

Yes with the windows and dash in place. Once I wipe away some excess paint and put armorall on the dash, you won't be able to see it. 

Just regular 2 part clear epoxy and some Rust-Oleum satin spray paint sprayer into a cup and then dabbed on with a foam brush

Nice work!   I think you are on to something with this approach.  I am curious to see how the paint adhesion holds up over time and use.  There are paints specifically made to apply on vinyl and I wonder if they might be more robust than regular paint or if they are more marketing hype.

I have some similar small cracks and one area of discoloration, so I am thinking an in situ touch up may be in my future. 

32 minutes ago, WRKO said:

Nice work!   I think you are on to something with this approach.  I am curious to see how the paint adhesion holds up over time and use.  There are paints specifically made to apply on vinyl and I wonder if they might be more robust than regular paint or if they are more marketing hype.

I have some similar small cracks and one area of discoloration, so I am thinking an in situ touch up may be in my future. 

My white car was repaired this way 7 years ago. it looks fine still.

1 hour ago, Stevenc22 said:

What was the superglue used for?  I assume to hold the existing vinyl down before joining w/ the epoxy?

47 minutes ago, its55 said:

What was the superglue used for?  I assume to hold the existing vinyl down before joining w/ the epoxy?

No. Epoxy fills 90% of the gap. Super glue fills the last 10%. Super Glue is very sandable once cured. So i do the final fill with super glue then sand the crack smooth with medium grit sandpaper. That way you can make the surface nice and smooth. Then some paint.

Edited by Stevenc22
  • Like 3

On 6/25/2022 at 9:40 AM, '76mintgrün'02 said:

Last night I hung a Subaru jack in place of the original.  

image.thumb.jpeg.bae0c34ff471a0708ef83dd3d618e1de.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ff74680744067ddb881795959282e39d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b09b4b84cbc417cb4bd160aa8d133226.jpeg

That little pin keys it into the preexisting hole.

image.thumb.jpeg.c5b5dda39f7721de4e785ab41a97fda0.jpeg

It is about 3/8" from touching the quarter panel at the closest point and surprisingly secure.

image.thumb.jpeg.b4bcd6534f5c436ac5fd012ad45fcb4f.jpeg

I really like the way the original jack fits in there, but there's no point in carrying two, if I am not going to use it.  Hopefully I won't be using this one either.  The (old) spare tire still had 22 lbs. of pressure after not checking it for a year or two.  Filling it to 35 psi  makes it too tall for the trunk floor to snap into place, so I'll let a little air out.

Tom

Tom, 

You know, Porsche 944s came with sweet all aluminum scissor jacks….

• Haha 1

Just now, Lorin said:

Tom, 

You know, Porsche 944s came with sweet all aluminum scissor jacks….

I did not know that.  Now I want one... but, are they blue?  I do like the Subaru Blue.  

This Toyota jack fits pretty well, but I'd make the pivot pin hole in the wood block smaller and farther from the bolt hole.

1340958119_IMG_0016(11).thumb.JPG.3b497243b96f427c9c3fe36e2d679e86.JPG

I've got half-a-dozen or so to choose from here, made by/for Honda, Toyota and Subaru.  There are differences in size, lifting pads, as well as the screw attachments; but they all seem similarly well-built, for a light-duty jack and safer than the original single-post style, with more placement options, obviously.

1579285391_IMG_0011(11).thumb.JPG.ea0c76148719770ad9b0d137bfc3cc9d.JPG

The Subaru jack has the largest footprint.

106411675_IMG_0010(11).thumb.JPG.acb05b8672170c733f30f546c4743231.JPG

The jack in my '84 Subaru is a (slightly larger) Goodman model 4 C and the prettier one (in the 2002 trunk) is a 2 J.

1309987738_IMG_0017(11).thumb.JPG.cb067eb9ad4c7df86f220a3240e3dff3.JPG

1144222838_IMG_0018(11).thumb.JPG.345fb17e11cbc24cfc6b3d96903fd964.JPG

Carl suggested I start a fresh thread about the jack installation.  It'd be fun if I didn't feel so busy/behind.  Installing mine felt like an indulgent use of time.  (So does this!)  That feeling forces finding simple solutions.  That little block of wood was so simple I couldn't resist making it.  My 2002 is an excellent source of productive-procrastination-projects.  This was a fun one.

Tom

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

I did not know that.  Now I want one... but, are they blue?  I do like the Subaru Blue.  

Tom

They are natural aluminum color. 
I picked a couple up when 944s were still in the junk yards around here. I put one on the scale and it showed 3.5 pounds. The oval pin on the lifting plate is separate and comes right off. 

A74AFD32-66F0-4FAE-95F7-E03E50A231E4.jpeg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lorin said:

They are natural aluminum color. 
I picked a couple up when 944s were still in the junk yards around here. I put one on the scale and it showed 3.5 pounds. The oval pin on the lifting plate is separate and comes right off. 

The scissors look like they're made of aluminum, based on that ding by your thumb.

The Subaru jack is all steel and weighs in at 5.5 pounds.

Your jack does not have the protruding pivot pin to key in to the hole in my block.  It'd have to be built a bitt differnt.

Thanks for the photo.  Now, I want won two.  Tom

2 hours ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

The scissors look like they're made of aluminum, based on that ding by your thumb.

The Subaru jack is all steel and weighs in at 5.5 pounds.

Your jack does not have the protruding pivot pin to key in to the hole in my block.  It'd have to be built a bitt differnt.

Thanks for the photo.  Now, I want won two.  Tom

The jack is entirely aluminum minus the pivot shafts, jack screw and threaded slug for the jack screw. The one in my picture is really dirty, it is an impressive piece. 

EDIT:  I apologize for the thread derailment !

Edited by Lorin

3 hours ago, jp5Touring said:

This showed up today,

IMG_4279.thumb.jpg.edffa3f8cdfb1d0b982e7c9893bf529d.jpg

That  should go well with this.

1362489186_IMG_4023(1).thumb.jpg.6c8cc116b5354fa6a3057a036e081c74.jpg

All Kooglewerks exhaust.

Considering what you paid for all this....hope it lasts 20 years.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17