• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

Changed lh door seal. Old was new oe, bought new over 10 years ago and this new oe is way way better! Much softer and allows door to be closed in a civilised manner. I wish i had one for rh side too but have to settle one from 70’s for time beeing. I really should bin these ”old” bricks.

• Like 1

2002 -73 M2, 2002 -71 forced induction. bnr32 -91

6 hours ago, Conserv said:

Hmmm… I can’t imagine why your ‘02’s back end is sagging, Tom… ?

What good is having a big trunk, if you don't fill it up?  

I removed the passenger seat again to make it easy to put the chop saw in.  I like having all the extra room.

image.thumb.jpeg.49f86ad573d26968340b5691745f7eab.jpeg

7 hours ago, Lorin said:

We can certainly be confident Tom has robust shock towers !!

Funny you should mention that.  While I had it up in the air, I blew the sandy dust out of the boxes at the top of the wheel well again.  The first time I did that I was amazed by how much came out.  It wasn't that bad this time, but a little worse than expected. 

image.thumb.jpeg.611c1da250ef1e1eb5f3c86c535d248b.jpeg

I have new plastic plugs for those holes, but still haven't snapped them in.  I did do a test fit to confirm that they're the right ones, as seen in the photo in the post above.

image.thumb.jpeg.ff389862e00d84c7c8fa7fd4bcb3b253.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.70f936de8f5f65f977505a04776dae19.jpeg

I took some height measurements today, while parked on pavement and both sides measured 22.5 inches at the top of the wheel arch.  The driver's side has been a half-inch lower for as long as I've owned it, so I am pleased to finally have that sorted.  

Measuring at the top of the stainless rocker trim front and back says the back sits a quarter-inch higher than the front.  That's with tools on board.  I'm eager to measure again when it is empty.

My pressure washer is working again, so I'll blast a bunch of that dirt out of the wheel wells.  The long gravel driveway here makes a mess.  Coincidentally, the Honda pressure washer engine uses a Bosch BPR6ES plug and it turned out to be a faulty plug that was keeping it from running.  It would run great for ten seconds and then die.  I pulled the carb off several times to clean it out, before I finally put an old BMW plug in and that fixed it!

Tom

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Leveled the front bumper.   It was tilted down and while it looked ok from above, from the side it was awful.  I asked a few shops that work on 2002s, and everyone kinda shrugged- as if it had come from the factory this way.   But it's a German car, and that couldn't be!    Anyway, thanks to the 2002 FAQ, I found a thread where someone suggested removing the bumper mounts, then swapping them from side to side and flipping them over.   I enlisted the help of my teenage gear-head son, and bingo- MUCH improved.  Not perfect, but good enough for me. 

IMG_9506.jpg

IMG_9507.jpg

IMG_9512.jpg

IMG_9513.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, chargin said:

new OEM nozzles are still available for not much $

They are currently out of stock everywhere. I had to pay $150 for two new ones from Europe.

• Sad 1

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

5 minutes ago, kbmb02 said:

Are they that hard to find? (thinking about the handful of windshield washer squirter nozzles I had refinished... )

Currently on backorder with no ETA. Even the ones from Europe just got refunded. I have a backorder placed but doesnt look good.

• Like 1

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

18 hours ago, tzei said:

Much softer and allows door to be closed in a civilised manner. 

Hahah that made me chuckle!  I know exactly what you mean.  I should look into doing this.  I can tell my door seals are not original, but I'll damned if I don't need to practically slam the door to get it to close all the way.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stevenc22 said:

Currently on backorder with no ETA. Even the ones from Europe just got refunded. I have a backorder placed but doesnt look good.

I plan to take mine off and try to refurbish since not in stock anywhere.  

• Like 1

Installed door trim out (lock/vent windows/ side windows mechanism/ trim/ sound dreading..)today both doors on Ceylon tii at least seven hard hours, not sure how many hours “ the book pays “ on the job….

EACE0678-874B-4670-AD06-D4005BA96F99.jpeg

27957924-E65B-49A6-8487-D92D51E0464B.jpeg

AC01936C-8344-48CA-ABF6-14F2A2D28CF1.jpeg

D6551536-ACC5-47C8-8CD6-9A0319659282.jpeg

405B3B82-3990-45CB-BE88-A8EC96280149.jpeg

Edited by BarneyT
  • Like 11

Don’t let the fear of what could happen

make nothing happen…

Do you mean the weather seal? The black seal around the door?  That took 7 hours??? Crap.  I have been putting off doing it on mine.  I have NOS seals and have been meaning to get around to it.  But if it took you 7 hours that might just stay permanently on the to do list.  Seems like a scrapper and acetone would do it?

• Like 1

Dan Bridges https://www.mcbdlaw.com/danbridges

72C672F5-4936-4D47-8D38-51052FE96876.jpeg.872fc2ca9a69951ae67c5fef264e9fad.jpeg

Past Treasurer and Governor Washington State Bar Association

1 hour ago, D Seattle said:

Do you mean the weather seal?

I think Barney is referring to the window, the vent window, and the door handles and locks. Plus the sound deadening mat. X2 doors=7 hours. 

• Like 2

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

1 hour ago, zinz said:

I think Barney is referring to the window, the vent window, and the door handles and locks. Plus the sound deadening mat. X2 doors=7 hours. 

Ed is correct, the rear windows and door seals are next…to replace existing seals is a couple of hours each side.

Edited by BarneyT
  • Like 1

Don’t let the fear of what could happen

make nothing happen…

25 minutes ago, BarneyT said:

Ed is correct, the rear windows and door seals are next…to replace existing seals is a couple of hours each side.

I’m hoping to swing by one day this week @BarneyT I can give you a hand with whatever you got going on. ?

• Like 1

"To my way of thinking, the 2002 is one of modern civilization's all-time best ways to get somewhere sitting down. - Car and Driver Magazine April,1968