• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

32 minutes ago, ray_ said:

?

...You should mount that switch on the dash and wire it backwards. ?

I know you were being silly, but that's genius.  I bet 9 out of 10 thieves would fall for it. 10 of 10 that figures out the switch won't be able to drive a manual so you're good!?

Edited by Tdh
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

I installed a cut off switch that grounds the points, to keep a theef from steeling my car.  I simply added a spade bit splitter to the condenser connection and ran the wire into a switch in the cockpit that connects to ground under the dash. 

image.thumb.jpeg.ec81ba81d8c6d4d4394d1b4870bd564a.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d605fe28e9d784d3e3f6da736547f9a0.jpeg

The switch I used fits nicely inside the ashtray, but I was lazy and just tucked it up under the dash for now. 

image.thumb.jpeg.62a64ea809b4db2e5aebd70601e001d2.jpeg

It would be stealthier to connect the ground wire to the back of the tach, but I didn't do that when I had it out last week.  Maybe I will move it next time it's out.

I also hid ignition and trunk keys under the car, in case I lose mine when I'm out and about.

The driver's door window was stopping half an inch from the top, so I opened up the door again and one of the three screws that mounts the regulator fell out from behind the panel.  It turns out that hole is stripped, but I was able to use a slightly longer screw and jam nut to fix it.  It rolls all the way up now and moving the front rollers back against their rail keeps the glass from tipping back as it goes up.  

I also made up the bed.  It's actually quite comfortable.  :) 

image.thumb.jpeg.ef4f8d269f920fd1831b3526ab392455.jpeg

Tom

Don't laugh, but used a switch as a starter cut-off on my TR4.  Affixed it to the steering column under the dash.  Just made me feel better walking away since I never put the top on or locked the car.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ray_ said:

You should mount that switch on the dash and wire it backwards. ?

It must have been a kill switch originally.  Typically, run means the on position, but this one is the opposite.

Today I switched from electrical to plumbing and installed an oil pressure gauge that a friend gave me a few years ago.  I figured it would take a couple hours, but spent all day on it.  I scrounged around the shop to find something to make an adaptor (to use the idiot light along with the gauge) and then decided to splurge and get stainless bits at the hardware store.  I was poised to weld them when I realized I'd bought 12mm x 1.75 stuff instead of 12mm x 1.5.  I'd have been BUMMED to figure that out after welding it up.  I went back and got black nuts and bolts, since they only had coarse threads in stainless.

I drilled through a (shortened) 12mm x 1.5 bolt and welded that to the underside of a large nut

image.thumb.jpeg.07e26e8784d501f527b3cf603aad5224.jpeg

and welded a 12mm x 1.5 nut to the top side. 

image.thumb.jpeg.a0db7705a8ca4afda0607fe831e3c831.jpeg

Then drilled out one face on the middle nut and tapped it (1/8" NPT) to receive the new fitting.

image.thumb.jpeg.c92ef705026c3be8620fa7fde633d7a1.jpeg

I  made the simplest hanging bracket I could think of.  It uses a magnet to hang it in the cubby under the radio.  For now. 

image.thumb.jpeg.373bf0e5f38411ba93af412ccdad60a7.jpeg

I had to ditch my vacuum gauge under the hood because it was too close.  This isn't where I meant for the line to come out, but it's okay.  I tried to point it between the distributor and the coolant hose, but it was too close to the hose, so I changed the thickness of the crush washer and called it good.

image.thumb.jpeg.9fc4539609bbdae76aaead95437e4fe7.jpeg

It was fun to get to use my homemade welding rotisserie.  BBQ rotisserie + drill chuck + sewing machine pedal.  One pedal for each foot!  I fl@shed my eyeballs a couple times doing it wrong.

image.thumb.jpeg.b7560f698084eb4dfc1d2a8465443654.jpeg

Those were the stainless nuts and bolt.  I used a socket to hold them.  It all got pretty hot.

image.thumb.jpeg.198ae4171d98fe0d82fd608ab0e929b5.jpeg

I had to tighten the little crimp fittings a couple times, but I think it's stopped leaking.  I'll take another test drive tomorrow.  I've got 25 psi at 800 rpm idle, 60 psi at 2500 rpm and 80 psi at 3000 rpm.  I haven't revved higher than that yet.

Tom

• Like 8

11 hours ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

I had to tighten the little crimp fittings a couple times, but I think it's stopped leaking.

Tom, there should be a small brass bushing that goes on the inside of the nylon tubing end. This prevents the tube from collapsing if you tighten the fitting too much.

Great job ... but lots of work!  I used a brass fitting from the local hardware store. Been working flawlessly and leak-free for 140k miles.  BTW, oil pressure should be about 60psi @ 2500 + rpm once the oil is warm (20w-50).

1158280197_OilPressureBlock.thumb.jpg.91224cb418256c94cd4c7610dd0c6bbf.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, John.  The brass inserts are installed at both ends of the tube.  I just hadn't tightened them enough.  I felt the crimp give when I tightened it the last time, so it should be good to go.

That's a nice looking fitting you have there.  Very pretty.  I probably spent more on nuts and bolts than the ready-made fitting would cost, (*sigh*) but I did enjoy the process, in spite of the impracticality.  In some ways, that adds to the fun.  

I'm amazed/relieved to see good oil pressure on my engine with unknown mileage/history.  It's been a mystery for eleven years now.

Edited by '76mintgrün'02
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, jp5Touring said:

I've not heard of Bamboli - where are they located?  Thanks!

• Like 1

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

59 minutes ago, John_in_VA said:

I've not heard of Bamboli - where are they located?  Thanks!

Turkey I think maybe Europe.  They Fedex them to you in 2-3 days. I bought a pair and a friend has a pair.

Pretty nice for the price I think.  I had to enlarge the door lock grommet and I bent the top clips to be more open.

Not Concours stuff but very nice for just about everything else.   Was a good experience. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/30/2022 at 6:40 AM, '76mintgrün'02 said:

I also made up the bed.  It's actually quite comfortable.  :)

Planning a road trip? Or just some nap time in the garage? 

Also -- how do you like your procar seat? Seems like people have been able to get them to mount up such that you sit a bit lower than stock, which sounds nice for me. I'm not that tall but I'm not a fan of hitting the roof with my head! My stock seats are pretty beat and make my lower back sore after 20 minutes.

3 hours ago, eviction_party said:

Planning a road trip? Or just some nap time in the garage? 

Also -- how do you like your procar seat? Seems like people have been able to get them to mount up such that you sit a bit lower than stock, which sounds nice for me. I'm not that tall but I'm not a fan of hitting the roof with my head! My stock seats are pretty beat and make my lower back sore after 20 minutes.

I am driving to South Dakota to celebrate my mother's 80th birthday on the 6th.  Leaving here on Friday, if I can get my act together.  So far, all I've done is tinker on the car and gather spare parts to take along.  I won't be traveling light.  This is the first long trip I've taken in this car.

I find the Procar seat comfortable, but ask me again in two weeks!

The mounts that came with it do make it sit lower than the stock seat.  I had to readjust my mirrors.  It has three holes to choose from in the front and the back and I have the front set up high and the back set low, to get more support under my thighs.  The back doesn't give a lot of lumbar support, but still feels comfortable on short drives.  I might wind up adding some padding behind me on the long days of driving.  The adjustment is capable of giving a LOT of leg room.  I use it up near the front setting.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, John76 said:

1158280197_OilPressureBlock.thumb.jpg.91224cb418256c94cd4c7610dd0c6bbf.jpg

Wow, that is one seriously clean looking engine judging from that pic.  I would love to see that engine bay in person some day.  Is that your car John76?  If so, do you attend the Brisbane Swap & Show events?  Would love to check it out.

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️