• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

I checked the dwell today and it had climbed up to 64 degrees.  I set it at 60 before leaving Washington and it was at 61 when I checked it along the way.  I was surprised to see it so high today.  It's set back at 60 again and I'll check it on the way home.  That's about it for the return trip prep.  I'll drive 1600 miles in two days, if all goes well; almost all of it on I-90 at 4k+ rpm.  I don't have a co-pilot.  I do have ear plugs.

Tom

• Like 9

1 minute ago, jimk said:

Another version

LS1 Coils Installed 01.JPG

LS1 Coils Installed 02.JPG

I think you wrote an article or topic something with these pix in it right? Clean as well! Though i personally prefer the look of the coils on the engine and fewer long wires. Something about it just looks mean.

'74 Verona

51 minutes ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

I checked the dwell today and it had climbed up to 64 degrees.  I set it at 60 before leaving Washington and it was at 61 when I checked it along the way.  I was surprised to see it so high today.  It's set back at 60 again and I'll check it on the way home.  That's about it for the return trip prep.  I'll drive 1600 miles in two days, if all goes well; almost all of it on I-90 at 4k+ rpm.  I don't have a co-pilot.  I do have ear plugs.

Tom

Why is the dwell drifting this much? Brand new points and the rubbing block is wearing quickly? Do you lube the distributor shaft - if so, what lube? 

800 miles a day at 3500-4k rpm is crazy! I want to head south and run Route 66 one of these days but I gotta add some sound deadening material to help me out 😄
🍻

Installed a Solid-State Voltage Regulator

I used a Hella 5DR 004 243-041 that I used on my '78 BMW motorcycle.

My original Bosch VR (0 190 601 006) was only charging at 13.6 V on a good day.

What a difference!  Now charging steadily at 14.0 to 14.2V.

BTW ... your VR does not have to be grounded to the chassis. The alternator body does, with a good 10 or 12-gauge wire.

SolidStateVR.thumb.jpg.22b2d73320311b9752427b7f15ec2404.jpg

IdleVoltsVacandOilPres..thumb.jpg.56ef177442d00e12fd015c0687bb3fce.jpg

OriginalBoschVR@Idle.thumb.JPG.479f5bebd588800af6bd686d8b78b7c9.JPG

• Like 5

19 hours ago, John76 said:

Installed a Solid-State Voltage Regulator

I used a Hella 5DR 004 243-041 that I used on my '78 BMW motorcycle.

My original Bosch VR (0 190 601 006) was only charging at 13.6 V on a good day.

What a difference!  Now charging steadily at 14.0 to 14.2V.

BTW ... your VR does not have to be grounded to the chassis. The alternator body does, with a good 10 or 12-gauge wire.

SolidStateVR.thumb.jpg.22b2d73320311b9752427b7f15ec2404.jpg

Those Hella solid state voltage regulators work great.  I've never seen a blue one before.  I've got a black one on my '74.  I did a test of various brands of new external voltage regulators a few years ago and the Bosch units even when new were set to regulate to around 13 volts or so.  The ones from Hella were set to a higher output voltage 14+.  I even played around with an adjustable one made by Transpo.  It's also solid state and encased in epoxy like the Hella ones, but has a little adjustment screw on the bottom where you can adjust the output voltage to where you want it.  It works great, but doesn't look so great in my grubby engine bay, too shiny 😄 By now most folks have moved on into the modern era of internally regulated alternators so probably could care less, but I love fiddlin' with this old stuff...

EDIT:  Went looking in my collection and found another interesting older voltage regulator from BMW made by WEHRLE.  Not sure if it's also solid state or not.  Most likely an OEM part for an old BMW Motorcycle.

Hella5DR 004 243-041.jpg

Transpo IB301A.jpg

vr1.jpg

vr2.jpg

vr3.jpg

Edited by JohnS

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

On 5/17/2023 at 5:25 PM, sczapiga said:

That’s a work of art👌🏼 I’m curious, what was the process from start? Sand blast, dip? Did you get it dipped in a zinc coating or something to rust proof it? 

On 5/17/2023 at 5:25 PM, sczapiga said:

That’s a work of art👌🏼 I’m curious, what was the process from start? Sand blast, dip? Did you get it dipped in a zinc coating or something to rust proof it? 

Initial stage just dip. Its at Custom cages getting seam welded and prepped for a cage. Then off to get arch prep, diff mounts and any reapiars. Then back to be redipped and E- coated before final install of weld in cage.

Triumph-E-Coat.png
WWW.ENVIROSTRIPGBLTD.COM

• Like 6

2 hours ago, John O said:

Initial stage just dip. Its at Custom cages getting seam welded and prepped for a cage. Then off to get arch prep, diff mounts and any reapiars. Then back to be redipped and E- coated before final install of weld in cage.

Triumph-E-Coat.png
WWW.ENVIROSTRIPGBLTD.COM

That’s really cool👍🏼 Are you building a rally or race car? Sounds like it’ll be about as nice as it can be!

5 hours ago, sczapiga said:

That’s really cool👍🏼 Are you building a rally or race car? Sounds like it’ll be about as nice as it can be!

Tarmac rally car. Hoping to get built by September. Spec so far

Schnitzer M10 2.0 with Kugelfisher and custom fabricated carb

235/5 gearbox

E9 4.7 diff with Drexler LSD and oil cooler

Bilstein coilovers

Quick ratio LHD steering box  ( still to source)

• Like 4

Rainy morning drive here in Malaysia

IMG-20230521-WA0015.thumb.jpg.78d6ff9f058d018151f6ed89fd2930ff.jpg

Next weekend is Retrohavoc in Kuala Lumpur... Mostly JDMs and local modified, but also classics.... We should have 2002s from as far north as Bangkok and as far south as Singapore.

• Like 8

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise