• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

Again a small update, not a lot of time to work on the 2002 since the renovation of our home..

After one last check and measurement of the subframe with the differential to determine the offset of the rear differential hanger (the diagram from BMW is NOT correct) I also checked and took measurements on a local 2002 sedan from a family friend. I corrected the 3D file for the panels and refined some small features like the oval holes in the center of the two brackets, smalls stuff like that. And send out the files to get them made.

spacer.png

We finally received the cut and bend panels from our supplier.

Very happy with the outcome on both touring and sedan panels. These are made in the correct sheet metal thickness (1,5mm) unlike some other supplier.. The panel also fits tightly between our two rear wheel wells.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

In the meantime I went ahead and made a fixture for the fixturing/welding table, this makes it possible to secure each panel precisely and quickly so that the brackets for the differential can get spotwelded to it.
spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 14

Posted (edited)

Cars and coffee Chino Hills last weekend so technically not what I did today, but it was a day. Great selection of cars, a Henry J two VW buses, a Pantera, a Corvair with a Chevy small block V8, a Merkur, lots of Mustangs and Camaraos and trucks. Plus the XKE parked next to my 74 '02.

chinoHillcarsandcoffeejuly2024.thumb.jpg.3099c88cdf6094995ca5ca327b91dcd8.jpg

Edited by lewisfoto
  • Like 6

Finally got my adjusters unstuck and back brakes finished. Started the bleed process, and got to the front and found out one of my rebuilt calipers has a bleeder valve that is stripped out and won't seal. So start over again. Waiting on a new set now. 

I must say the FAQ about brake adjusters, Bleeding, and Drum Adjuster articles are so amazing. So many years later, people with new cars to them, like me are finding these forums and really appreciating all the work that has gone into making this place great. 

IMG_2150.HEIC

• Like 6
  • Sad 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, matthewjacob said:

looks amazing. 

thanks!  this is after washing, sandblasting, 2 coats of metallic color paint, and 2 coats of clear, cleaning and polishing the trim rings then the Ireland engineering kit. 

Edited by its55
  • Like 2

Conrad's license plates arrived!  Though I won't need them for awhile, I had to do it.  Utah is trying to pass a law to change how personalized license plates are handled, so I thought I should get it before the change.

20240710_140450.thumb.jpg.25c30347a4ce9315e515f5886afc6ad9.jpg

Edited by bergie33
  • Like 8

Karl B.

1974 2002tii Malaga ("Conrad") -->> Conrad's Restoration Blog

2003 330i ZHP 6-spd

2011 328i xDrive

On 7/9/2024 at 12:31 PM, matthewjacob said:

looks amazing. 

Agreed… nice work!

• Like 1

'74 Atlantic Blue Tii w/sunroof (my very first car - circa 1990)

'76 Sahara w/sunroof (restored/repainted sunshine yellow, then sold - circa 2002)

'76 Fjord Blue w/sunroof (restored in '96 by PO) - my current baby

Installed a ratty Raid steering wheel to replace my ratty stock ‘76 steering wheel. This will get a dye job or recover at some point but I wanted to see how it felt in the car before spending time making it perfect. It looks like someone might have drilled a hole for the carbon plunger in the hub and hogged it out a little too much. I “machined” (i.e. chucked it in a drill, sanded down the OD, then drilled out the center ID) a spacer out of a bicycle v brake washer so that I could use the plunger from the old wheel.

The horn still doesn’t work after all that. I think I need a steel horn retention ring for this style of horn button to ground to. Just put an order for one. Fingers crossed it works. 

IMG_3973.jpeg

IMG_3974.jpeg

IMG_3972.jpeg

IMG_3979.jpeg

• Like 1

My daughter drove down from Oregon to visit this past 4th of July weekend and brought me a gift.  She knows I love Surfing and she knows I love Pickles...  So I had to put it in a place of honor...

and I'm a goofy foot just like Pickle Man...

PickleAir.jpg

Edited by JohnS
  • Like 10
  • Haha 1

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

IMG_4057.thumb.jpeg.9ab99eaf1862609ca702b28aefc4f978.jpegIMG_4056.thumb.jpeg.54e34c8ba413d1ea62b71954636cfb6c.jpegTore down my non working windshield washer assembly. Then cleaned the pump and reassembled everything. It still didn’t work so I did it again and bench tested it with a 12v power supply. It’s squirting fluid but some of it misses the windshield. I need to adjust the squirters aim.  IMG_4051.thumb.jpeg.44fcdc35ae562a7bcc046f1f36ad7c93.jpeg

Edited by Eissmann
Added pictures
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Highnote1 said:

A “few” parts showed up today. Need my car back with some paint on it to get this stuff outta the house!

WN, Max, and Blunttech know my address by memory at this point. 🤦‍♂️

IMG_6041.jpeg

I love days like that.

Is that a hood ornament or luggage rack under the W&N invoice? 😉

Edited by bergie33
  • Haha 1

Karl B.

1974 2002tii Malaga ("Conrad") -->> Conrad's Restoration Blog

2003 330i ZHP 6-spd

2011 328i xDrive

Started my car for the first time since June 30, 2023!

Wow...a simple project of dropping the pan, renewing the piston rings, shimming the oil pump chain, decarbonizing the head and pistons, and honing the cylinders. My wife repeatedly reminded me (nagged) that my #@$*$ car is just a hobby...and really important "other" stuff around the house needed attention.

Fired right up! However, it seemed like an eternity for the oil pressure light to go out and the oil pressure gauge to register, despite careful priming of the pump and filling the filter. Actual time was about 30 seconds.... but I was sweating bullets! 

Observations: Idle is now super smooth @ 950 rpm and the vacuum gauge is rock solid.

Tomorrow, tank of fresh gas, finish flushing coolant and check timing & tweak the carb.

Yahoo! Will make it to the '02 Swap & Show on Saturday!!

July112024FirstStart.thumb.jpg.8460183a7359845c81bb8c88ab8d18ac.jpg

• Like 14