• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

IRDave "I have to admit I do not miss the time I spent in Georgia- at Ft Benning.  That's all you buddy."

:)

Edited by zinz

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

7 hours ago, zinz said:

IRDave "I have to admit I do not miss the time I spent in Georgia- at Ft Benning.  That's all you buddy."

:)

He's one of the few people from the movies that I think would be nice to get to know.

I remember one morning, we were running before dawn, with a slight tail wind, so no relative air movement at all.  I could feel my core body temperature going up.  Good thing I was young back then.  :)

• Like 2

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

On 6/24/2018 at 5:15 AM, The Judge said:

Been a busy day.. got IE brakes lines installed and washer bottle,just need to get a pump for it. 

Resized_20180623_131239_4969.jpeg

Resized_20180623_175912_6200.jpeg

Get that washer bottle submerged in a tub of cheap bleach for a week and it will come up like new!

VDO Washer bottle before cleaning.jpg

IMG_0170.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

FINALLY did something with the Orange Car between Saturday and today--aside from a few short trips to church, it had mostly been garage sculpture since I got it out of storage in April. White smoke and some froth under the oil filler cap scared me, so I borrowed a compression tester. I was pleasantly surprised with the result:

Dry: 150  145  145  155

Wet: 175  155  160  160

Not at all bad for a 151,000-mile engine that's never been apart. Combined with a clean valvetrain when I checked the valves before doing the test, I realized it was just condensation -- i.e., I need to drive the danged thing more!

The past two days, I've reworked the fuel system. I reinstalled my rebuilt original Pierburg pump with all new hoses and relocated the filter to the trunk with a check valve (to try to help hard starting, especially when hot).

FYI, a VW Beetle pump will work on a 2002 in a pinch; the one I grabbed last fall to get my car back together quickly was only $20, but it has 6mm fittings on both the inlet and outlet, and they're in awkward locations for a 2002. But the rebuilt stock pump, with the other changes, made a huge difference on the car. It starts much faster and is finally back to the buttery-smooth throttle response that had been missing for a long while.

I also rerouted the spark plug wires through clamps on standoffs from the valve cover studs for a more original appearance, and I cleaned up the rat's nest of wires from my 123 distributor I'd never bothered to shorten when I installed it two years ago. Wires are now the proper lengths, with the whole harness wrapped in hockey tape to blend in under the hood. 

Please excuse the otherwise kinda grimy engine bay--I need to give it some proper love once I get the remaining four coolant hoses swapped in for the ancient and/or patched-together ones that are there now. But it's progress.

-Dave

2002Engine.jpg

2002FuelTank.jpg

Edited by dlhoovler
  • Like 4

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport
'10 Honda Odyssey Family & Stuff Hauler

Well done Dave! Is there a nylon/tygon/something-sleeve under the fuel line at the pickup?

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Made a little more headway today.

1. Got the rust converter coat on the diff housing so I can get it painted.

2. Removed/cutout nasty carpet in the driver's floor area so I could remove pdal box.

3. Removed pedal box and disassembled so parts can be powder coated.

4. Continued pulling tape off wiring harness to redo, and/or run new wires if need be.

5. Removed alternator, new adjustable bracket is enroute. 

6. Removed brackets for the headlight buckets for powdercoat.

It was a good day :)

IMG_20180626_161025.jpg

IMG_20180626_122320.jpg

IMG_20180626_135016.jpg

IMG_20180626_150625.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ray_ said:

Well done Dave! Is there a nylon/tygon/something-sleeve under the fuel line at the pickup?

Cheers,

Ray,

Yes--the original sleeve was cracked, so I took a tip from Mintgrun Tom and snipped a little off the end of the thru-cabin plastic fuel line. Worked like a charm! And before someone comments, I want to replace those two spring clamps with proper German rolled-edge worm-gear ones, but I discovered I was short two and just needed to get it back together for the time being.

-Dave

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport

1 hour ago, '76mintgrun'02 said:

... and I took that tip from halboyles ...  :) 

But where did Hal get it?

:D

• Haha 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

The glass man cometh.

I often learn by breaking things first, then figuring out the best way to do a job ... So I hired guys who do glass for hot rods and classics.

They were great. I learned a lot watching and helping. Everything went great.

glass.jpg

glass2.jpg

glass3.jpg

glass4.jpg

• Like 5

Finally finished laying the new Esty carpet. It was a four step process removing the old underlayer, applying the sound deadener, the underlay mat and then the carpet. The Esty carpet is well designed for fit and provided instructions. I added a Toyota arm rest and the next job is designing the center console which will house the new Dtek A/c, radio and cup holder.IMG_0005.thumb.JPG.3243b43854e7d84ee606c088657b1878.JPGIMG_0006.thumb.JPG.defff292753f01e6dcdd4775bf58944c.JPG holder. 

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

• Like 3

Discovered that my rebuilt original fuel pump is weeping gas, so I've got another on order from Blunt. It's leaking not while the engine is running but after shutdown, from the crimped seam between the main upper cover and the small cap at the top of the fuel chamber. Two steps forward, one step back...

-Dave

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport

:ph34r:

I have a triple set of those horns and they are LOUD.  The problem with my set is that I cannot make them fit and would have to make a new bracket that puts them in a flat row.  Your double set appears to fit nicely.

Edited by '76mintgrun'02
  • Like 2