• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

[emoji185]

I have a triple set of those horns and they are LOUD.  The problem with my set is that I cannot make them fit and would have to make a new bracket that puts them in a flat row.  Your double set appears to fit nicely.

I was actually thinking of painting them black! They’re not too visible unless you get really low, so not a priority, but one day they’re definitely getting painted. The double set fits there very well there though, and I made a bracket so I could use the factory horn mounting point without having to drill an extra hole.... and then realized that I had to drill a hole anyways for the compressor. Oh well.

This car has actually never had a horn in the time that I’ve owned it (7 years or so) so it’s a welcome change. Had to get a new-to-me Momo steering wheel hub to get it to work too as I had to grind my crappy Louisi hub down to make it fit, which meant I had to remove the horn connection too. That hub was a nightmare. Definitely can’t recommend them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

-Sam

1976 Pastellblau Project

And I just threw two more

fist fulls of cash out the internet window. Turbo aero flares/airdam from IE and another stack of sheet metal from WN. My automotive customers have been good to me lately and my wife has been permissive of me spending more time in the garage. ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VWJake said:

And I just threw two more

fist fulls of cash out the internet window. Turbo aero flares/airdam from IE and another stack of sheet metal from WN. My automotive customers have been good to me lately and my wife has been permissive of me spending more time in the garage. ?

When my wife gets bucky about money spent on the Tii I like to remind her that it's cheaper than hookers and blow. It never works, but it's fun to say.  ?

Edited by Jjmoonen
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Jjmoonen said:

When my wife gets bucky about money spent on the Tii I like to remind her that it's cheaper than hookers and blow. It never works, but it's fun to say.  ?

Well if the mileage is getting up there and she's starting to look tired and give you trouble, you might consider trading her in for a newer model. 

• Haha 1

When I got my car, the PO had already painted primer over what I presume is failed Polaris with spotty surface rust. The primer had become chalky resulting in primer drips down my windows in the wet mornings. I've removed various parts and found nice Polaris underneath, so I was thinking, there's silver in them thar hills.  I started wet sanding thinking I could get down to some patina silver. The first layer of chalky primer came off easily, then got to a darker smooth primer you can see of the left, then below that is a lighter primer.  Way too much work. Finally, I got to some of the spots in the middle of what looks like an olive color, is this the failed Polaris? Anybody have pics of a failed Polaris car?

PS I went to a local cars n coffee and everyone there said, don't paint it, leave it primer and drive it.

IMG_3171.JPG

18 hours ago, Steve Tochi said:

When I got my car, the PO had already painted primer over what I presume is failed Polaris with spotty surface rust. The primer had become chalky resulting in primer drips down my windows in the wet mornings. I've removed various parts and found nice Polaris underneath, so I was thinking, there's silver in them thar hills.  I started wet sanding thinking I could get down to some patina silver. The first layer of chalky primer came off easily, then got to a darker smooth primer you can see of the left, then below that is a lighter primer.  Way too much work. Finally, I got to some of the spots in the middle of what looks like an olive color, is this the failed Polaris? Anybody have pics of a failed Polaris car?

PS I went to a local cars n coffee and everyone there said, don't paint it, leave it primer and drive it.

IMG_3171.JPG

The olive, Steve, I believe is factory primer. When the two-stage “PVC frei” metallic paints (1973 through the end of ‘02 production) failed, first the clear coat crazed and fell off, then the color coat crazed and fell off, taking with it primer at times, leaving bare metal.

It was an ugly time for me, as my perfectly-cared-for, always-garaged ‘76 began this process in 1980, and it was not healed until the just-completed Big Re-Paint.

The first six photos date from 2014 to 2016. The last two photos were taken this past week.

Best regards,

Steve

A2D26E6B-CDA2-4087-A302-A7C288A673B0.jpeg

AF8D6370-7C29-4C2B-B943-7E2155FB0F46.jpeg

1796EBEF-363A-4DCB-AEE5-D8F44A291BF3.jpeg

36999231-3972-42E7-A021-90431CC00FA9.jpeg

8244323F-8F1D-48CB-8679-7B3691DD25BB.jpeg

06D0C5D2-EF40-43E3-9269-803D530C6FF8.jpeg

D0E483CC-F47E-4AA5-B26E-805E7356E220.jpeg

48601160-490E-4731-B128-B0CD0A38DC7B.jpeg

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Installed backseat seatbelts, and seatbelts for the passenger side front seat. Didn't get to the driver seat for lack of time.

I also finished upholstering my B pillars all the way to the carpet. I screwed up and only took them down halfway the first time.

Question, re: my 1976 U.S.-spec car.

My backseat appears to have only lapbelts for seat belts. No shoulder harnesses. Does that sound correct?

4 minutes ago, d.hitchcock said:

....Question, re: my 1976 U.S.-spec car.

My backseat appears to have only lapbelts for seat belts. No shoulder harnesses. Does that sound correct?

No rear shoulder harnesses on U.S.-spec 2002’s!

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

A pair of tail lamp housings I had laying around were in pretty bad shape. The chrome was coming off in sheets and the outside was covered in corrosion and overspray. I glass bead blasted them on fri.

4359AA8D-5568-49A8-BDD8-10950F0C60A0.thumb.jpeg.e113d7037338daef5a92b0f7178fdafc.jpegYesterday I stuffed wads of paper towel down into the bulb holders and used segments of drinking straws to protect the terminals. After a coat of primer I shot the insides bright gloss white

4CD1F833-EF55-4260-8C9C-E826B0B3E7D1.thumb.jpeg.8d0d95b132487b34750ae2f4fd9c2b0c.jpegand the outsides “aluminum”.

366498CC-B0B7-483E-A416-FD156975611A.thumb.jpeg.92acf64d9d64aad38dc0c76e57a60f69.jpegIn retrospect the aluminum is too bright. If I do it again I’ll spray it with something more muted. Like a dull aluminum or a steel color.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AndySals said:

How does the gloss white perform as a reflector for the lights? Is it heat resistant?

It’s actually brighter than the original plating. Temps should be irrelevant. If you’re worried, you could use engine paint but I don’t believe the temps will be high enough to effect the enamel that’s on there now.

• Like 1