• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

57 minutes ago, uai said:

Figuring where to drill & weld for the harness attachement.

As we all know you're sitting at a light offset to the wheel in a 02.

trying to find a compromise...

IMG_3313_k.JPG

IMG_3314_k.JPG

IMG_3315_k.JPG

It’s usually where someone has helpfully cut the shelf out for a speaker ?

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

8 minutes ago, Nut Dragger said:

Wouldn’t there be an additional bar in roll cage behind seat? Running harnesses to deck lid is long reach IMO. 

You are right. I guess it depends whether you are aiming for something that complies with FIA or other governing body standards or something that looks like an old school classic racer. There is no reason why the rear shelf (suitably reinforced) can’t be an adequate belt anchor, albeit a non compliant one. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

On 6/3/2019 at 11:36 AM, NYNick said:

Seems as if...I'm just happy to have them working. My odometer doesn't work, so now at least I can tell when I'm running low on gas! Plus, the car's temps are showing normal. 

Now that you're comfortable pulling you instrument cluster, fix your odometer. It's pretty easy, and involves pulling the odo apart and mashing the shaft the drive gear sits on so the drive gear doesn't slip on the shaft. I'm sure there's a write up or tutorial somewhere here. 

Josh (in Dallas)

'72 tii

1 hour ago, Simeon said:

You are right. I guess it depends whether you are aiming for something that complies with FIA or other governing body standards or something that looks like an old school classic racer. There is no reason why the rear shelf (suitably reinforced) can’t be an adequate belt anchor, albeit a non compliant one. 

Without rear bar have you considered rear floor anchor for straps? Could be option depending upon style seat you’ll be using. 

11 hours ago, g_force said:

Now that you're comfortable pulling you instrument cluster, fix your odometer. It's pretty easy, and involves pulling the odo apart and mashing the shaft the drive gear sits on so the drive gear doesn't slip on the shaft. I'm sure there's a write up or tutorial somewhere here. 

Thanks. I gave it a quick shot, but I couldn't get the trip-odometer knob to either come off the front or come through it's opening to free the speedo. The trip knob turns the trip-odometer and in fact rotates the odometer when it completes a full turn, but I just couldn't get the speedo out for a full look.

I'm leaving town for a bit anyway. Maybe I'll give it a shot when I get back. At least I can tell how much gas I have in the tank now.

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

10 hours ago, kbmb02 said:

Elevated the M10 engine build process and program with the addition of tools and measurement devices. -KB

10E745F5-C4EE-49EA-BAAA-59A454DBE9DD.thumb.jpeg.7e86039d092c18eec7a0cadcb293d96b.jpeg

BD6CF108-88AD-4404-BEA6-87AF75521FFF.thumb.jpeg.1eaeaa7b7235f2c4df6adbebbe559f8d.jpeg

67EDFA00-72C7-4A2C-890B-40F998CA7E68.thumb.jpeg.4f09aff3a99a4d9b44570a956512c2f3.jpeg

No offense but, what did you do before tools and measurement devices?

72'  2002 turbo build - under construction...

44 minutes ago, evil02 said:

No offense but, what did you do before tools and measurement devices?

You mean, did I use a tape measure and an abacus....?

It's been about reliance on quality machine shops, plus practical-yet-'lesser' tools (and even with that, dare I say the result has been reliable/successful performance-oriented M10 builds). I've now got a former Cosworth engine builder in my corner, good things happening. -KB

Replaced the giubo. I'd been having a bit more vibration under throttle, then last weekend a new sound on the highway-- a resonance that was bothersome.

Checked the giubo today to find it shredding itself. Pulled out my spare and had it replaced in 2.5 hours. I got slowed down figuring out there wasn't a fitting to loosen in the center section, meaning I had to drop the whole driveshaft to pull the old giubo.

The funny thing is, I also replaced the giubo in our e36 this week. So ... call me Mr. Giubo, I guess.

e36 (top) & 2002 giubos

giubo.jpg

giubo2.jpg

Edited by d.hitchcock
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, d.hitchcock said:

Replaced the giubo. I'd been having a bit more vibration under throttle, then last weekend a new sound on the highway-- a resonance that was bothersome.

Checked the giubo today to find it shredding itself. Pulled out my spare and had it replaced in 2.5 hours. I got slowed down figuring out there wasn't a fitting to loosen in the center section, meaning I had to drop the whole driveshaft to pull the old giubo.

The funny thing is, I also replaced the giubo in our e36 this week. So ... call me Mr. Giubo, I guess.

e36 (top) & 2002 giubos

giubo.jpg

giubo2.jpg

They say we get better with practice ?

• Like 1

rtheriaque wrote:

9 hours ago, kbmb02 said:

You mean, did I use a tape measure and an abacus....?

It's been about reliance on quality machine shops, plus practical-yet-'lesser' tools (and even with that, dare I say the result has been reliable/successful performance-oriented M10 builds). I've now got a former Cosworth engine builder in my corner, good things happening. -KB

Like a YB swap? ?

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

I fit Bilstein dampers on the rear a couple of days ago. Today i heard my exhaust blowing at the front end and found that two of the nuts holding the downpipe to the manifold were missing! An easy fix tonight 

IMG_3753 2.jpg

IMG_3754.jpg