• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

This past weekend:

Rear sub-frame mounts replaced

rear bushings replaced

rear shocks replaced

valve cover gasket

plugs

wires

coil

Left to do:

rear drivers side hard brake line

timing gasket

distributor gasket

123 ignition

front shocks and rubber

rebuild emissions system

sun roof rebuild

windshield wiper rebuild someone took it all out

and more and more and more

such fun though

• Like 3

76' not sure what the original color but right now it is red/orange.  

Removed, stripped, refurbished, and lubricated the trunk torsion bars and associated parts and fasteners.  Previously was painted well and looked neat, clean and original.  However, I think eliminating some Inka and body paint added interest to the trunk area.  A real PIA but doable; the bars will fight you all the way.  Now, no squeaks and lid opens smoothly. 

Larry

Cincinnati

IMG_5396.thumb.jpg.2fdba81e0ca1f1ad5a750c423e755587.jpgIMG_5411.thumb.jpg.84fbe9ca9536a63caa5362570987eed5.jpgIMG_5412.thumb.jpg.e4358d4e700234dd4e91b203c16b4014.jpg

• Like 5

Bib your a maniac! lol

How did you cut the springs? Did you flatten out the ends?
This is my first restomod project and I dont really have much into this car so I'm not as timid when it comes to hacking it up into pieces! I usually don't do this with my rides. I did not flatten the ends. My springs were flat cut and not ground at an angle. I cut a half coil from the bottoms and rotated the spring until it was seated in the original groove. I did it while the springs were still on the car by using a spring compressor and 3" cutoff tool. I have read about flattening the ends which would look like this I believe..? 6200e45d0c2e32fdf35f6b41ddc40cf0.jpga9bbc80c6769de3bd42f2761e17fc890.jpg54b879abf758f64bce4ba22ff25fb9ce.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Bibm5 said:

Well... I no longer own a "SAHARA" 2002!
Still have some small areas to do such as door jambs and all but so far it feels great to get that old nasty paint off. 9b8c2f6831308fbf583d528abb89bbca.jpgd17dfb0d085add4b7f3283f6ae6a3608.jpg

Wow,  how long to get all that paint off ?  You sand it off or chemicals ?

Wow,  how long to get all that paint off ?  You sand it off or chemicals ?
I put one of my helpers on it this morning to do the bulk then I jumped in towards the end and started on the smaller areas for about an hour or so. Total was about 5 man hrs. Probably still have another few hrs left to go. We went through about 8 of these polycarbide grinder wheels. The they work amazing for fast paint removal.
Not to bad for about $100 worth of labor and grinder wheels!37c90e410cb3d460ea96431794a09064.jpg

With a tilt of the hat to jrhone for inspiration, I made the valve cover my own.

My 9 year old got to use spray paint, socket and torque wrenches for the first time and it was a great bench project together.

I realize the color is probably not everyone's cup of tea, but hey, beauty is in the eye of the.... ha, ha, ha 

Not bad for a first attempt, I think.

I'll add the process and photos later to the string on valve cover painting.

Philip 

ValveCoverInstalled.jpg

Edited by bublinki
forgot a comment
  • Like 4

Life is short, enjoy the ride!
L'Ultimo Ciclista, 200Km race, Nove Colli 2012

1976 Mint Grun

Philip