• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

16 hours ago, OriginalOwner said:

"...... in the eye of the SoCal beerholder."

I like it !!

Cheers,

Carl

Too, too funny. I actually edited out the bottle of beer that was resting on the shelf thingy(to lazy to look up the proper name) in front of the radiator!! :lol:

Life is short, enjoy the ride!
L'Ultimo Ciclista, 200Km race, Nove Colli 2012

1976 Mint Grun

Philip

On 11/13/2017 at 7:48 PM, Bibm5 said:

I put one of my helpers on it this morning to do the bulk then I jumped in towards the end and started on the smaller areas for about an hour or so. Total was about 5 man hrs. Probably still have another few hrs left to go. We went through about 8 of these polycarbide grinder wheels. The they work amazing for fast paint removal.
Not to bad for about $100 worth of labor and grinder wheels!37c90e410cb3d460ea96431794a09064.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Do they gouge or grind away metal? that job looks pretty awesome!

Do they gouge or grind away metal? that job looks pretty awesome!

They work great. They do lightly scuff the metal up some which you kind of want for adhesion but other than that not really.

Edit... Except for these spots on the body where it seems like they leaded the body panels together. We did have to go light there to not dig in. 5bab4dbce924d40f81f0d6673dbc8e7a.jpg

• Like 2

nice job! your on fire with this project  

Are you going to keep it the original color SAHARA?

Not going back with Sahara although I do think it looks great on jeeps and trucks!I've had this image in my head of what im going for...white with black trim to match my M5. As I'm getting closer to the paint stage I'm starting to reconsider because I'm not sure BMWs period white (charmonix) is what I want. It may be to creamy for the look I want and I feel like it should be a period correct color. I was thinking I may start a post asking for suggestions because honestly I really haven't been into vintage BMWs for long so I don't really know what looks good having never seen any of them in person.

For reference here's the look I was going for and here's my M5.

Anyone have any suggestions?!?

My trim isn't in the best shape so I will probably still do it in black and I already have black and white bmw badges to go on so keep that in mind!

56b040263120aed757cbf863a18056ea.jpg&key=d446686b4b2ddccb20eebdcfc0c1d232054b1ae565825bbf7053c9fe59cf2666

f0056c737f12579d580e116b60999a2e.jpg

Well I'm a big Sahara fan myself. I grew up in a world where Sahara was  popular. After joining the FAQ I 

noticed it's not that popular.

Chamonix Creamy? Have you seen it up close in person? I do love your M5. Really nice color for that car.

I think that's a really nice shade of white and to me not that far off of a true Chamonix.

When I was younger I would almost always add black accents to a Chamonix 02. Besides Sahara..Chamonix was super popular. We're talking conservatively liberal SF Peninsula where you'd see low key 02's everywhere.. AND if you bought a used one there was a real good chance you'd end up with these modest colors..

.With Chamonix I was trying to 'balance' all that white with some black touches. Like the 2002 badge would always get painted gloss black. I'd have black license plate frames..and maybe paint the wipers black or possibly the mirrors....BUT Never the chrome trim or bumpers.... I wasn't that crazy. I still loved chrome.

Edited by iinca

47 minutes ago, Bibm5 said:

Not going back with Sahara although I do think it looks great on jeeps and trucks!I've had this image in my head of what im going for...white with black trim to match my M5. As I'm getting closer to the paint stage I'm starting to reconsider because I'm not sure BMWs period white (charmonix) is what I want. It may be to creamy for the look I want and I feel like it should be a period correct color. I was thinking I may start a post asking for suggestions because honestly I really haven't been into vintage BMWs for long so I don't really know what looks good having never seen any of them in person.

For reference here's the look I was going for and here's my M5.

Anyone have any suggestions?!?

My trim isn't in the best shape so I will probably still do it in black and I already have black and white bmw badges to go on so keep that in mind!

56b040263120aed757cbf863a18056ea.jpg&key=d446686b4b2ddccb20eebdcfc0c1d232054b1ae565825bbf7053c9fe59cf2666

f0056c737f12579d580e116b60999a2e.jpg

what about this? lol..hehehe

BMW-2002-Modified-3-750x563.jpg

That's pretty awesome!
I could do similar with my business lettering since it's black lettering over a white background but I'm not sure I want the public associating my buisness with the way I drive... Gotta protect the money!

I think the car in this ad is a decent example of Chamonix despite the crummy pics. Chamonix is def' more white than cream

This tii is currently still for sale too although priced high

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/d/1972-bmw-2002-tii/6378012251.html

Here you see my Sahara 02 in bright Maui sunlight (granted it's partially shaded but still bright out). Doesn't really impress. Second pic is in nice flat light, I like this look AND I think Sahara looks extra nice with the late model black grill for contrast

IMG_1662.JPG

Sahara L fr.JPG

Edited by iinca