• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

The beautiful job on the trunk floor boards in the post above got me thinking of a similar project I need to do. Anyone out there have a pattern for the two trunk wall boards for a 74’? Or old beat up ones you want get rid of that I could buy cheap to create new ones?

18 hours ago, cdbeemin said:

Anyone out there have a pattern for the two trunk wall boards for a 74’? Or old beat up ones you want get rid of that I could buy cheap to create new ones?

I believe member esty has the pattern or reproduced boards available.  There have been several threads about this.

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

On 1/30/2021 at 6:04 PM, 0257 said:

Apologies if this is the third time i have posted this, but the site is giving me fits today.  Managed to get the center link off — after the rear hub and spindle, the hardest thing I’ve done yet! — and drop the steering box.  Intend to rebuild using the Argentine parts imported for several of us by Rob Ford.  Several degrees of difficulty above either of the aforementioned jobs, I fear.

Hard to see in the attached photo, but my steering box cap originally was painted the same orange/red as the 177 boxes.  HAS ANYONE GOT THE PAINT COLOR CODE FOR THAT RED?

FEC30606-50D5-4916-9C13-DFE267096FC5.jpeg

Still looking for that paint code.  Meantime, today I have my steering box apart except the worm/roller and the cap (still attached to the sector shaft).  Re the cap, mine does not pull off the pitman shaft easily and I’m reluctant to try to tap it off.  Should it just pull off?  

And before I tear this thing down any further: the existing gears in the box don’t appear pitted or particularly worn, and there’s no palpable lateral movement of the shaft in the brass bearings (at least, when hand-wiggled).  But no amount of turning of the adjustment screw can lessen the  amount of free (spinning) movement shown in the below video, which I assume is way too much.  I could not find any spec in the blue book for amount it’s supposed to exhibit, btw.  Maybe I’m not reading the specs properly?  Can anyone confirm this?*

*Also posted under Steering Box Adjustment Screw thread.

‘74 Fjord 2002tii (Zouave)

’80 Alpenweiss 528i (Evelyn)

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

‘56 Savage Model 99 in .250-3000

On 1/31/2021 at 5:17 PM, '76mintgrün'02 said:

That's funny.  Double-glitch in that post.  Here's the link again.

EDIT:  the previous post showed the 520 error in the link... apparently, it's fixed itself.

This is exactly what happened to one of my posts on this page over the weekend.  Plus it attached itself to a previous poster’s email as if I were resonding using “quote”.  Managed to delete the photos from his string after a little banging around on the keyboard, but the whole experience somewhat inelegant.

‘74 Fjord 2002tii (Zouave)

’80 Alpenweiss 528i (Evelyn)

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

‘56 Savage Model 99 in .250-3000

3 hours ago, d.hitchcock said:

Strut towers, what?

My car is really more e30m3 than 2002.  Subframes, suspension, brakes (well, used to be anyway), steering rack, ABS, AC, CC, engine, trans, diff, driveshaft.  About everything except the shell.  So guy that did the work made it so that all of the m3 geometry came over as well as the parts- so, 10 degrees caster, as per the m3.  He modified the chassis to accept all the m3 parts.  Maybe a little more complicated than dropping in the s14 bolting it to a 245.  Seven hundred hours of work documented at a shop in the Bay Area before I ever touched it.  Body looks super ratty- everyone thinks it's a beat 2002; in reality, it's a light e30m3 and no one know it...

• Like 6

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.