• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

Local race shop (425 Motorsports) is having a sale, so picked up a pair of new seats.

C00EA0D6-2211-4AB7-B031-659E450DE2E0.jpeg.be1778fd648bc93f4e5fe1e7106e1bdf.jpeg

https://www.sparcousa.com/product/rev-ii-2017-2

Will be a very tight fit in the 02; seats are 23.2" wide and I measured ~48" between the B pillars at shoulder height, but most other seats that fit me are an inch or more wider at the shoulders. I’ll probably have to shave the outside shoulder support on each seat to clear the B pillars, but hopefully not too much.

Will have Patrick remove the factory mounts and fabricate some new mounts from square tube spanning the trans tunnel to the inner rocker, then evaluate my options for a 4 point roll bar (buy vs have fabricated locally). Planning to go with 6 point harnesses. I’m debating whether I want to try to accommodate sliders or mount them in a fixed position. 

Looking forward to Spring for track season to start back up! Have a few more projects planned for Winter in preparation though.

• Like 1

Brent

1974 2002 - Megasquirt and turbo

2018 BMW M2/ 2013 Porsche Cayenne Diesel

Left scratching my head tonight where boost disappeared to. In the morning I think I'll beeline to the wastegate then work from there. Crappy video with headlamp throwing shadows. 

*tick* *tink* noise is turbo drain hardline bouncing off main pulley at low idle from me forgetting to fasten the bracket to it.  Sorted after I took video.

Edited by Sharktrainer

On 12/24/2017 at 3:18 PM, BarneyT said:

Test fit my lights and brackets, trying to finish car by late February...

53E6157F-5294-4FFF-879B-8B5798C10195.png

09FB17B3-B49A-49DE-B582-0FD653AE860E.jpeg

Beautiful, Barney,

But wouldn’t you like to slop some semi-gloss black paint on those hood supports and the grille tabs, factory style, so they don’t show through the grilles (when installed)?

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 2

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

On 12/24/2017 at 6:29 PM, kbmb02 said:

Like this, maybe. (Steve: semi? satin? flat?)

09B64745-0231-4E92-B083-B01B3A57A5FE.jpeg

I’d use semi or satin.  I don’t believe the original black-out paint was flat.

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

On 12/24/2017 at 2:59 AM, bento said:

Local race shop (425 Motorsports) is having a sale, so picked up a pair of new seats.

C00EA0D6-2211-4AB7-B031-659E450DE2E0.jpeg.be1778fd648bc93f4e5fe1e7106e1bdf.jpeg

https://www.sparcousa.com/product/rev-ii-2017-2

Will be a very tight fit in the 02; seats are 23.2" wide and I measured ~48" between the B pillars at shoulder height, but most other seats that fit me are an inch or more wider at the shoulders. I’ll probably have to shave the outside shoulder support on each seat to clear the B pillars, but hopefully not too much.

Will have Patrick remove the factory mounts and fabricate some new mounts from square tube spanning the trans tunnel to the inner rocker, then evaluate my options for a 4 point roll bar (buy vs have fabricated locally). Planning to go with 6 point harnesses. I’m debating whether I want to try to accommodate sliders or mount them in a fixed position. 

Looking forward to Spring for track season to start back up! Have a few more projects planned for Winter in preparation though.

Good buy, but they are wide at the shoulder.  I had to make mounts that moved the seats inward as far as they could go. 

I would not mount the seats until you have the roll bar in.  The bar, not the B-pillar, many be the issue.

2xM3

4 hours ago, mlytle said:

Good buy, but they are wide at the shoulder.  I had to make mounts that moved the seats inward as far as they could go. 

I would not mount the seats until you have the roll bar in.  The bar, not the B-pillar, many be the issue.

I’m wide in the shoulders too, so we’re a good match. :)

Compared to other seats I’m comfortable in, they’re fairly narrow in terms of exterior dimensions. I’m more Sparco Evo III shaped, but there’s no way they’d fit in a 2002 at 25.x" wide at the shoulders, and the shoulder harness holes are way too low for me anyhow. So this was a compromise of fit for me vs fit in the car as it is. 425 carries Recaro, Sparco, OMP, Racetech, and Cobra, so I looked at a lot of seats before settling on these. I was considering something from GTS classics due to the lack of shoulder wings, but I’m skeptical of them for track use.

I’ve looked through your build thread and saw the interference you had with the Kirk bar and the steps you took to lay it back a bit. The autopower has it’s own fit challenges, but it appears to lay back a bit more than the Kirk. I’m skeptical the harness bar on the Autopower will be high enough and I don’t get the impression they’ll customize like Kirk did for you. So "prefab" probably means I’m paying someone to modify either option to fit properly, which closes the gap on having one built locally. 425 gave me a rough estimate for them to build one, and it was a number I could live with. Need to talk to a few other shops.

For anyone in the Seattle area, I’d be interested in other suggestions for roll bar fabrication. I have Racecraft, Chase Race, and Godspeed Fabrication on my list. Anyone else I should talk to? Feel free to PM so this thread doesn’t get too far off track...

Brent

1974 2002 - Megasquirt and turbo

2018 BMW M2/ 2013 Porsche Cayenne Diesel

Wow! A digital display gauge for an 02 is a first (at least first I seen that). 

Am I just seeing it wrong or is the main gauge (the tach) just displaing '0' even though the needle is moving??

is that just a tablet with an app configured to your 02?

My brother and I noticed our front left frame rail had a slight bend, the 02 probably had been in a small accident before. (the bak hole was shifted 3-4mm) We managed to get it all lined up again by using the measurement from the BMW diagram.

We also checked the squareness and it all checks out. If you want to know more about how we did this, read up on my project thread.

25502448818_971ec97b0b_c.jpg

• Like 4