• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

Not technically today, but this past Saturday... I took a first drive in our 30-years-dormant ‘71! Just around the block a few times at low speed.

I’ve already got a list of new things to fix:
- tie rod + track bar. Visible play in the passenger tie rod end, and I could feel it making hard left turns. This is probably the biggest safety issue at the moment. 
- bushings all around, they are all shot!
- a new ignition tumbler, since there isn’t one and my wife doesn’t want to have to start it with a screwdriver (like she did with my e36 for a couple years). Just put up a WTB post in the classifieds for this.
- replace the DIY sheet steel bracket a PO made for the exhaust with a rubber one to get rid of a horrendous rattle from back there
- tune the carb and timing better
- The clutch engages pretty low, and it looks like I might be able to take this up at the linkage connected to the pedal, but I'll also bleed it again. And the return spring in the pedal box is broken.

Not a bad list! Here’s a pic parked next to our other project, a ‘76 Mercedes/Hanomag 206D

IMG_2315 2.jpg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, g_force said:

I almost spit my coffee out through my nose.  That was a great morning laugh!

But wait, there’s more:

7AA5F0DC-BD3F-4114-BF24-A39BBBCFD6CB.jpeg

(My best guess is someone sliced the steering pitman arm to remove the steering link, then globbed some weld to close it up.)

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Perhaps not what did I do to, more of what did I do with?

Perhaps you did not know it, but 2002's make excellent mole killers.  Pumped about 30 minutes of 1975 smog down the holes, no more moles.  (fingers crossed).  You can get the attachment on... wait for it... Amazon.  Shocking, I know.

bmw mole.jpg

bmw mold 2.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1

Dan Bridges https://www.mcbdlaw.com/danbridges

72C672F5-4936-4D47-8D38-51052FE96876.jpeg.872fc2ca9a69951ae67c5fef264e9fad.jpeg

Past Treasurer and Governor Washington State Bar Association

Text for above pic. Tried and failed to fashion a spring for the sunroof handle. It's not as easy as it looks to get right.  Decided to change the oil in the 5 speed with fresh Redline MDL, I like that stuff.  Happy motoring everybody it was a good day for a drive in the PNW.  Car continues to run like a top.

• Like 3

On 3/30/2021 at 1:39 PM, eviction_party said:

Not technically today, but this past Saturday... I took a first drive in our 30-years-dormant ‘71! Just around the block a few times at low speed.

I’ve already got a list of new things to fix:
- tie rod + track bar. Visible play in the passenger tie rod end, and I could feel it making hard left turns. This is probably the biggest safety issue at the moment. 
- bushings all around, they are all shot!
- a new ignition tumbler, since there isn’t one and my wife doesn’t want to have to start it with a screwdriver (like she did with my e36 for a couple years). Just put up a WTB post in the classifieds for this.
- replace the DIY sheet steel bracket a PO made for the exhaust with a rubber one to get rid of a horrendous rattle from back there
- tune the carb and timing better
- The clutch engages pretty low, and it looks like I might be able to take this up at the linkage connected to the pedal, but I'll also bleed it again. And the return spring in the pedal box is broken.

Not a bad list! Here’s a pic parked next to our other project, a ‘76 Mercedes/Hanomag 206D

IMG_2315 2.jpg

What size are those rims?

On 3/30/2021 at 3:41 PM, D Seattle said:

Perhaps you did not know it, but 2002's make excellent mole killers.  Pumped about 30 minutes of 1975 smog down the holes, no more moles.  (fingers crossed).  You can get the attachment on... wait for it... Amazon.  Shocking, I know.

bmw mole.jpg

bmw mold 2.jpg

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Fortlauderdalian said:

What size are those rims?

15x7 on the 02 -- I like how they look, but we'll see how they drive. I'll probably keep my eyes out for a spare set of lighter 13" or 14" alloys to try out down the line.

Today I borrowed a couple sizes of pickle forks to try and do the control arms on my e36 sedan. Failed at that so I took them over to the 2002 instead and hammered off the steering tie rods that I'll be replacing soon. Play in at least three of the ball joints!

IMG_2356.JPG

Edited by eviction_party
  • Like 1

On 3/30/2021 at 9:41 PM, D Seattle said:

bmw mole.jpg

bmw mold 2.jpg

DIY carbon sequestration? 

3 hours ago, ray_ said:

Set up my nitrous injection.

IMG_20210401_171017088.jpg

Good thing i’m in for the night.

‘74 Fjord 2002tii (Zouave)

’80 Alpenweiss 528i (Evelyn)

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

‘56 Savage Model 99 in .250-3000

3 hours ago, ray_ said: