• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

I had car trouble today, while making a 40-mile round trip.  About ten miles from home, it started running crappy, like it was missing and stuttering; so, I pulled into a parking lot to have a look under the hood.  I connected my trusty INNOVA 5568 timing light (that lives under the driver's seat) and all four plug wires showed even flashes.  The dwell was still set right at 60, so that seemed to rule out an ignition problem.

Then I spun the AFR gauge around so I could see it while under the hood and noticed that it was idling at 14, instead of the typical 12.5; so, I backed the idle mixture screw out a couple turns and then turned it back in to where the gauge read 12.5 and that's all it took for it to run smooth again.  Whew.

I think that was the second time in almost ten years that the car has been unreliable.  The other time was when there was a little chunk of crud caught between the electrode and strap on the #3 plug.

Tom

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

I had car trouble today, while making a 40-mile round trip.  About ten miles from home, it started running crappy, like it was missing and stuttering; so, I pulled into a parking lot to have a look under the hood.  I connected my trusty INNOVA 5568 timing light (that lives under the driver's seat) and all four plug wires showed even flashes.  The dwell was still set right at 60, so that seemed to rule out an ignition problem.

Then I spun the AFR gauge around so I could see it while under the hood and noticed that it was idling at 14, instead of the typical 12.5; so, I backed the idle mixture screw out a couple turns and then turned it back in to where the gauge read 12.5 and that's all it took for it to run smooth again.  Whew.

I think that was the second time in almost ten years that the car has been unreliable.  The other time was when there was a little chunk of crud caught between the electrode and strap on the #3 plug.

Tom

Pull your tank pickup and see if your gas tank is flaking.

You're welcome! :)

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Pull your tank pickup and see if your gas tank is flaking.

You're welcome! :)

Nah, it is a replacement tank and I've never seen evidence of flaking or rust in the clear fuel filters.

Thanks for the suggestion though.  :) 

Look at the size of the chunk of junk that got stuck in one of my Suburban's Quadrajet jets.  I have less faith in the cleanliness of that old forty-two gallon tank.

023.JPG

Edited by '76mintgrün'02
stupid glitch ate my words again
  • Sad 2

9 hours ago, ray_ said:

I don't see the E pox E.

?

Oh ye of little tiny faith!D2143995-EB37-449A-B21F-6D50CCC85B44.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

‘74 Fjord 2002tii (Zouave)

’80 Alpenweiss 528i (Evelyn)

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

‘56 Savage Model 99 in .250-3000

11 hours ago, 0257 said:

Good thing i’m in for the night.

CCF0200A-1E3F-47C8-B434-34897DF653F0.jpeg

D3BC0D51-F504-40B1-9BFC-5D74C6B7F0BB.jpeg

9ED7B1FE-D5A9-474B-8400-57E46E391CB0.jpeg

That’s Stevenola, btw, making those little tiny soldered connections.  W-B’s kit contains possibly the worst instructions ever, but with a little help from the faq we figured out the correct config.  Today wiring the switch, installing the readout in the dash pod and squirting the epoxy in.

‘74 Fjord 2002tii (Zouave)

’80 Alpenweiss 528i (Evelyn)

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

‘56 Savage Model 99 in .250-3000

9 hours ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

Tom

I vote for a vacuum fitting that has popped off or started leaking. 

The first rule for carburetor problems:

Its not the carburetor. 

1 hour ago, Lorin said:

I vote for a vacuum fitting that has popped off or started leaking. 

The first rule for carburetor problems:

Its not the carburetor. 

What's the second rule for carburetor problems?  

That's sort of like what Mike's late father-in-law used to say, "90% of your carburetor problems are in your ignition."

The only thing I did to the carb was turn the mixture screw; but I did also use my late buddy Willy's trick, where you rev the engine and then put your hand over the carb to SUCK the little chunk of crud through.  That left a nice black oval on the palm of my hand.

While under there, I learned that my newly replaced air cleaner has a crack starting around the valve cover breather inlet tube.  That's a pisser.  I ignored the crack in the one I took off and it grew... which led to putting this one on.  :( 

Tom

Edited by '76mintgrün'02
replaced "cover" with "one"

Went for a quick spin today when rearranging the driveway parking lot. Shifter clanging and sloppy as hell.

Quick search says shifter bushings. So my Son was going to do some welding on my header so off it came.

Header is pretty tired looks like three exhaust leaks at the head cause the flange has been welded and ground to fit better.

Plus the coupling at the end is cracking.  Time for a new exhaust I think.

Would love the new Kooglewerks one but their three to five weeks out.  Thinking the Ireland Engineering one. Will take suggestions also.  Oh the shifter,  just lost the 10mm nut at the back end. Problem solved.   

Torqued everything except the suspension bits which I’ll do later, with engine  in and under load ( my weight in the left front an 40 lbs above the gas tank). Tossed on the grills to get a look at her. IIIIII LIKE IT!!CBDA22C8-19CD-4F4A-9C21-5CC8CD9C6ED9.jpeg

0BEF0B74-60DF-4168-9A98-6B076F50B00E.jpeg

A252CE7A-2BAC-4AC4-A929-F981AC915D12.jpeg

• Like 8

4 hours ago, cdbeemin said:

Torqued everything except the suspension bits which I’ll do later, with engine  in and under load ( my weight in the left front an 40 lbs above the gas tank). Tossed on the grills to get a look at her. IIIIII LIKE IT!!CBDA22C8-19CD-4F4A-9C21-5CC8CD9C6ED9.jpeg

0BEF0B74-60DF-4168-9A98-6B076F50B00E.jpeg

A252CE7A-2BAC-4AC4-A929-F981AC915D12.jpeg

That's really coming along nicely!

Picked up my parts from a fellow called cousin Bob who Vapor blasted a couple valve covers and Tii front cover / injection sections and intake parts for my 72 Ceylon... they came out great..

09B18E79-CEBA-4CC0-A80C-F4DE7D5F7A31.jpeg

56FB95FF-81F3-4B44-8777-914D96129A2D.jpeg

Edited by BarneyT
  • Like 3

Don’t let the fear of what could happen

make nothing happen…

Received my new thermostat today, thanks Steve. Installed and topped up with antifreeze, ran it to insure the hose to the bottom of the radiator gets warm, all good. Thought I would take it to the service station to get some "non-ethanal" (first fill up in 3 years, second fill up in 20 years). Still have no real brakes, confused about what I need to do to get pedal, did a pressure bleed (15lbs) all runs clear, right rear to left front, did the 15 pump and hold and bleed. no pedal. So would think the master is bad, it was a new master replacement 3 years ago. Its been on the shelf for 3 years. Brakes are the Aardvark upgrade, vented front and a VW disc in back. In serious need of front end alignment, front subframe was rebuilt and those steering arms are new and need to be adjusted. So what went good? Good oil pressure, temp stayed cool, gas guage worked (I installed a newer E10 tank and installed a in tank pump and sender) need to find a home for my dented yet sound tii tank, sender and pump. Also forgot I had not tightened the top to the tuna can so lost both the M5X12 hex bolts, just surprised I didn't leave the dip stick out so they would have had random shot at the crank case. Need to find some new springs . . . 

April 3.jpg

• Like 1