• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

Teelinger,

The best part about the aforementioned glovebox suggestion is reflocking is unbelievably easy.  The Flock It! kit is inexpensive, is offered in numerous colors, is surprisingly easy to use, and results in a perfectly new glovebox.  See attached photos.  In addition, you will have fun at family gatherings telling relatives you "flocked it".

http://www.flockit.com/index.php/products/suede-tex/mini-flocker-kits.html

OMD51728.thumb.jpg.07553443501fa360fe4458be08129656.jpgIMG_2105.thumb.jpg.c1894c7247972e1b5df65f3c4224e58e.jpgIMG_2108.thumb.jpg.488a5c0159c1a3260bd0c27a0600dea6.jpg

I took 'Red' out for a spin since it was in the 60's versus last week in the 20's.  Stopped and took a photo in front of Davis General Store outside of Charlotte. Davis General Store is one of the oldest in North Carolina established in 1890.  Fun tooling around in the Tii in nice weather finally.

Best,

Glen

666A0804.JPG

• Like 4

Second attempt at 123ignition was successful!  Very smooth! Would have worked the first time if I wasn't 180 degrees off TDC when I installed it the first time! :blink:

This time kept the old distributor cap in place and that didn't work.  Measured mechanically the same, but just wasn't matched to the 123 innards.  Once I swapped caps it fired right up and the "dancing ball" on the flywheel is steady as a rock!

My Bosch dizzy was running higher advance up to 38 degrees and I felt like it "ran out of breath"  at over 4000 RPM. 

I started with numbers that Ed Zinz posted in 2015 - it was running strong, but not quite there (air/fuel mixture?).  I bumped it up a couple of degrees across the board and lost power, so I came back down halfway and it feels good.  I have to play around with the advance around 2000 RPM for when I transition from a hot 2nd gear to a calm 3rd gear around town.  Zero MAP, as my Bosch was a '72 that had no vac advance. 

These are Zinz's figures, I'm currently advanced another degree up to 34deg max.  It had not really been run long enough to be really warm when I was testing these settings.  With the max at 34 degrees I'm getting more power at higher RPMS.  Still got some 'sperimentin' to do!

post-42878-0-54414500-1426599072_thumb.p

The MM Getrag feels great.  Really "notchy" click into gears and really quick grab on the clutch.  Nice short throw on the shifter, and my favorite gear shift now threaded on!  I did have a small puddle of ATF under the bell housing after the warm-up run while we were installing the 123 (maybe four tablespoons).  I called Jim Rowe and he didn't have an explanation, so I'll have to keep an eye on it.  That's a bummer, but Jim offered to send me a special tool for seating the Viton seal if I end up having to replace it.

So finally, after a year of motor rebuild, rebuilt suspension and powder-coated front sub-frame, new strut inserts, new brakes front and back, newly installed Metric Mechanic Getrag 245/4/2 with OD and short shifter kit, and now the 123 dizzy makes it feels like a different car!  NOW it's the " feels-like-new" '02 I've been dreaming about for the last 30 years... Happy New Year! :D

• Like 6

1972 BMW Inka 2002Tii  ?

1974 BMW Turkis 3.0 CSi ?

1972 MBZ Weiss 280SE 4.5 

2006 BMW Cobalt 530i (38,700 m original)

Five months after getting it back from painter...Saturday I watched Ed install the new 123 distributor and it started on the third turn and spun the wheels on the stands...headlined scheduled in ten days...finished by end of February seems possible..

F189F15F-42C0-4A78-829A-8C9DAEA8F2F6.jpeg

91F01705-C4F9-4403-8439-6AF4D56F7B54.jpeg

• Like 9

Don’t let the fear of what could happen

make nothing happen…