• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

No present issues, so only thing I can do is give the car some exercise.  168 mile freeway drive in 5th, mostly at either 3000 rpm or 3500 rpm in fairly light traffic today got 28.5 mpg,  We finally had a relatively dry day so I didn't have to slip around on my crappy tires.

First longer trip after valve adjust and new spark plugs. Sure does run sweet.

DSC_0545.JPG

• Like 7

14 hours ago, BarneyT said:

taking my best car on my favorite 60 miles hill Country  loop on Cow Creek early this morning.

And after the Km you put in the last 2 months we thought you might take a driving break…. Not!  Thanks for all the pictures and welcome back!!  ??????

• Like 1

20 hours ago, LindrelT said:

And after the Km you put in the last 2 months we thought you might take a driving break…. Not!  Thanks for all the pictures and welcome back!!  ??????

Those were all just kilometers - these are MILES! 

• Haha 1

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport
'10 Honda Odyssey Family & Stuff Hauler

On 10/16/2021 at 5:59 PM, 7502 said:

No present issues, so only thing I can do is give the car some exercise.  168 mile freeway drive in 5th, mostly at either 3000 rpm or 3500 rpm in fairly light traffic today got 28.5 mpg,  We finally had a relatively dry day so I didn't have to slip around on my crappy tires.

First longer trip after valve adjust and new spark plugs. Sure does run sweet.

DSC_0545.JPG

that is the perfect '02 garage.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2021 at 5:59 PM, 7502 said:

new spark plugs. Sure does run sweet.

I followed your lead and installed some fresh spark plugs.  I went from BP6ES to BP5ES.  I read that lower compression engines like a hotter plug and I already had those (NLA) plugs on hand.  I probably should have done it sooner.  The ones I took out were pretty cruddy.  It starts quicker now and runs better too.

IMG_1629.JPG

I'm not sure what's going on with number three, but it's oily looking compared to the rest.  It is one that I swapped in a while back, since there was an intermittent miss with the old plug.  

Tom

• Like 4

not my 02 but visited Bill at Bavarian Rennsport and leant a hand by cleaning and adjusting door glass slides and latches, etc.

DSCN0880-X2.jpg

anyone here?

DSCN0879-X2.jpg

• Like 3

machinist - A&P - UAV inspector.

'71 1600 parts car, '71 Nevada tii tribute, '73 Polaris automatic in assembly awaiting 5-speed, 3.90 LS and dual 40s

'61 R27 - '74 R90S - '83 R100RS

3 hours ago, Fortlauderdalian said:

Where is that located?

image.png

machinist - A&P - UAV inspector.

'71 1600 parts car, '71 Nevada tii tribute, '73 Polaris automatic in assembly awaiting 5-speed, 3.90 LS and dual 40s

'61 R27 - '74 R90S - '83 R100RS

Actually finished this last night.  Bought a beat up Nardi wood wheel on eBay and did a quick resto.  I realize it does not have the solid plastic-y look of an original, but I prefer seeing the wood layers.  Turned out pretty good, not perfect, after 9 coats of polyurethane and 2 rounds of Mothers aluminum polish.  There was a 13" Nardi (not wood) wheel on the car when I bought it, so this 14" (well 330mm) should help a bit in parking lots.  

So now I can check off the steering wheel, gage cluster, floors, and suspension from the list.  Now all I have to do is absolutely everything else...  ha

IMG_0648.jpg

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, 7502 said:

How many miles on those plugs Tom?

Too many, obviously!

That reminds me, I should fix my odometer, again.  Hopefully the third time is a charm.

I fixed my shift linkage today, for the second time.  I did a much better job this time.  I lived and learned.

Here's a link to the fun I had today.  

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic/294791-shifter-rebuild-kit/?do=findComment&comment=1510932

While reassembling the shifter I took the time to add sound dampener to the plastic shifter surround.  Now it sounds dead when you tap it.  I did the same to the plastic seat-hinge covers a while back.  I like that stuff. 

IMG_1678.JPG

IMG_1681.JPG

IMG_1684.JPG

IMG_1685.JPG

I also did a little preemptive super-gluing of the shift boot flange.  That was a pretty wimpy attachment from the factory.

Tom

• Like 2

8 hours ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

Too many, obviously!

That reminds me, I should fix my odometer, again.  Hopefully the third time is a charm.

No sense opening up without a new gear for a permanent repair!  Good luck!

Odometer gear worn (5).jpg

Odometer Gear new.jpg

• Like 1

1972 BMW Inka 2002Tii  ?

1974 BMW Turkis 3.0 CSi ?

1972 MBZ Weiss 280SE 4.5 

2006 BMW Cobalt 530i (38,700 m original)