• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

I need a little help... while checking on an issue with my turn signals, I discovered that the brown and yellow wire that connects to the ignition cylinder was no longer connected. I checked the wiring diagram in the 2 volume manual and can’t find what this wire does. Can anyone let me know what it controls? It is soldered to a rectangular black plastic insert next to a brown and red wire. This is on a ‘74tii harness. Thanks for the help!

Someone here will confirm or straighten me out, but I think that's most likely the wire fore you zummer (buzzer) for seatbelts and if you leave your keys in the ignition, they were such a pain in the ass most were removed in short order 

• Like 2

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Polished it and put on a fresh coat of wax for the first time in... I dunno. Three years? Five? Water still beaded nicely, but the paint felt kind of rough, and the original single-stage on the horizontal surfaces had oxidized a good bit.

It's far from perfect, but it still shines up nicely for paint that's 51 and 19 years old (below the beltline was repainted with base/clearcoat in 2002).

20211108_105815.jpg

20211108_170846~01.jpg

20211108_170916.jpg

Edited by dlhoovler
  • Like 14

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport
'10 Honda Odyssey Family & Stuff Hauler

Drove it home from the The Legends of the Autobahn East in Hilton Head through the back country roads in Georgia.  These cars ROCK!  I’m now very comfortable just hammering it and cruising at 75+ on the long open stretches.  Ran like a top, put 700 miles on it over the weekend and averaged 25mpg.  Met a lot of great folks from this group and others.  BMW owners are awesome!  Just got done cleaning all the bugs off the front end before I put it bed.  

54B923E1-E166-4294-BBAC-1A86D119E5CA.jpeg

• Like 13

'72 2002Tii Inka   2760698
'65 Porsche 356SC

Alright, dash progress!  I cannot describe how satisfying it is to see an idea you've had banging around for years take actual shape.  It's a feeling I'm sure many here can relate to.  There will be final installation photos and more in depth process descriptions on the blog, this is a bit of a rough draft.

Initial work done at home (not shown): 

1) I took a die grinder to the cracks and rounded them out.  It was very unnerving to attack my dash this way.

2) Filled in the cracks with FiberFlex plastic weld (this stuff).  You can see the repairs in the initial photo if you zoom in.

3) Marked out where the inset gauge holes should go.

Dropped the dash components off at CoupeKing, who offered to have Benji (the in-house upholstery wizard) refinish the pieces.  Perks of being a friend and former employee I guess!

4) Drilled out the inset gauge holes

5) Applied dash filler (glorified body filler) and sanded smooth.

6) Applied upholstery-rated sculpting foam to proper areas (the tops) and sanded to shape.

7) Pieces Wrapped in German Vinyl!

Next will be to make the matching underdash panels and the visors (with rebuilt pivots).  The visors ("tear down photos" shown) are being done in a matching material as the headliner (diamond embossed vinyl as found on the E9 Coupes; not a fan of the cheap-hotel look of the stock 02 headliner material).  

IMG-0783.jpg

Resized-20211105-075023.jpg

Resized-20211108-105423.jpg

Resized-20211108-132950.jpg

Resized-20211109-083055.jpg

Resized-20211109-083108.jpg

48099694378_8fabcff1bd_c.jpg

48099748337_f1e145ba82_c.jpg

48099694278_25e0e7cbc0_c.jpg

• Like 11

18 minutes ago, tzei said:

Well it used to be a cheap hotel. Cars were cheaper back then and yes i have spend a couple nights in 02. LOL. Was not at all that comfortable but then nothing is in cheap hotel :) 

haha, right?  Fond memories of weekend adventures with my wife (then fiancé) sleeping in the driver/passenger seats, ugh our backs hurt in the morning.  Maybe how uncomfortable those nights were, staring up at the headliner, plays into my distaste for that material pattern.

18 minutes ago, mccusername said:

@AceAndrew That looks fantastic. Will you have visible seams on the dash using this method?

Thank you!  The only visible seam will be on the gauge binnacle piece.  The upper and lower dash sections are all seam free.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, AceAndrew said:

haha, right?  Fond memories of weekend adventures with my wife (then fiancé) sleeping in the driver/passenger seats, ugh our backs hurt in the morning. 

Yeah! But i guess she liked the room service too. We've been together almost 30 years now.

• Like 2

2002 -73 M2, 2002 -71 forced induction. bnr32 -91

3 hours ago, AceAndrew said:

haha, right?  Fond memories of weekend adventures with my wife (then fiancé) sleeping in the driver/passenger seats, ugh our backs hurt in the morning.  Maybe how uncomfortable those nights were, staring up at the headliner, plays into my distaste for that material pattern.

Thank you!  The only visible seam will be on the gauge binnacle piece.  The upper and lower dash sections are all seam free.

Needs clock.

?

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Ah, the joys of the 2002 Hotel On Wheels !!  Recline the passenger seat to full recline, toss on an air mattress, add a sleeping bag + pillow .....  total comfort !!!

Then wake up before dawn, fully refreshed, on Vandenberg AFB and hunt some pigs !!

image.png

image.png

Cheers,

Carl

p.s.  tzei,  I'm a Finnboy here in SoCal !!

Edited by OriginalOwner
  • Like 2