• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

My 1970 restoration ... push to the finish line!  

It was time to reassemble and install my three piece dashboard I got back from JustDashes.   

Not an easy task.  They made piece three a bit thicker than it was before so the switch bezels were not long enough.  So after a mind melt or two I dug out their additions behind the vinyl so the switch bezels would grab the switches.  I am happy with this solution.

Next I install the lower dash, then the middle dash.  Then I put the upper 3rd dash with switches in and and wires (no gauge cluster yet) I press in the cigar lighter it blows fuse location four.  (I have a six fuse car).  I have not blown a dam fuse yet in this re-assembly of this car.  I was pretty proud of that considering I had the entire harness out a few weeks ago.  So why am I blowing a fuse?  Dead short of course!  Is this a throw away cigar lighter from the 70's?    I check resistance with my ohm meter but I guess I should go back to school on resistance.  I put a probe on the center of the coil that glows red and the other side on the outside of the chrome cigar lighter.  The tone for dead short goes off so I figure that is my problem? 

Ok so I try to understand the male side of the lighter - It wont screw apart?  Put pliers on it and a vise (not in my shop anyway)?

Then I look in the dash at the female side of the assembly and begin to wonder how does this dam thing work?  Yep - trying to understand a female.  I know.  I go to wikihow, bmw2002faq and no luck.  Well seven fuses later I see that the three fingers inside are shaped to grab the lighter when pushed in and heat it up and I guess when things get hot they let go?  LOL.  So I focus on this action.  Closer examination I see where the arc was coming from - one of the three fingers was shorting agains the barrel.  

IMG_2567.thumb.JPG.7cc8c0a5bba5a9076e65628b8abe7915.JPG

OK so now i knew the short!  I could put the female unit in the vise and turn it with the pliers so the metal fingers were in the windows - about 30 degress - (not in my shop of course).  Don't do that!

I loosened up the 6mm nuts on the female side and rotated the three prongs so they were lined up with the holes in the female body they did not short. 

IMG_2572.thumb.JPG.6ab9cb18374133d707dd5912e3d7f445.JPG

Once loosened just re-align all the pieces... and note the ceramic piece has a notch and so does the female piece and when they are lined up the fingers will be in the window.  If they are a bit close to the window you can move the tab by the vise approach (but not in my shop).

IMG_2571.thumb.JPG.0dde8b21ac79e721bc1116a08d7cacbc.JPG

IMG_2568.thumb.JPG.b146c13a63274886272d187ea1fa9c32.JPG

For those of you looking for the solution with out all that above - 

The problem was that on the female side those three prongs were shorting against the body of the female receptacle because someone (not in my shop of course) rotated them about 30 degrees. 

IMG_2574.JPG

6234FFF6-10C3-4044-B384-FE2CEB7A079C.jpeg

F12A0DD1-F158-422B-B929-E133B24E65FC.jpeg

IMG_2569.JPG

IMG_2570.JPG

Edited by Markster
UX
  • Like 5

Received some parts for the future.  Throw out bearing, pilot bearing and a giubo, Ireland Eng. had the t.o. bearing and the giubo they arrived real fast and are nice parts. Both made in Germany.  Got the pilot bearing from Pelican.   Hope I don't need them too soon.

DSC_0696.JPG

Edited by 7502
  • Like 2

• Hey folks - I am wondering - I got a set of Tii struts that I am planning to install on my '70.  I am curious - on my '70 struts there are three studs in the strut.  Each is drilled out for safety wire.  There are low profile nuts affixing the lower ball joint to the strut.  Is it supposed to be that way on the Tii strut?  Right now I have tapped holes.  Is there a source for those studs/nuts with the drilled safety wire hole in them?  

mark zagorski

Edited by Markster

Dealer or Rogerstii   should have them     Yes, they do have holes in them for safety wire and the nuts on them are integral with them      I would use loctite on them as well and make sure you wire them so it works to stop them from loosening. I have seen lots just with wire run thru them really doing nothing

Thanks, Rick

• Like 2

Today…Ed Z stopped by the shop and we did a little pre Mid American trip check up of his 2000CS and my Baur… We had a full bag of skittles at the shop today.

1135529C-4C00-4461-BACB-6B18890B6E01.jpeg

10C05563-9058-4031-89AB-B63E98BD65FE.jpeg

2EAF6BD7-D091-41C6-ABE0-D2F046B8D373.jpeg

43119785-3076-4D22-A1E3-17DF583CA5D9.jpeg

BE7C911B-4A8E-4B84-9648-991582F803B4.jpeg

ECEFCED5-8E64-4CFE-996C-04835448E158.jpeg

A1EEC914-72A4-45B7-8C41-C5EE31275515.jpeg

• Like 11

Don’t let the fear of what could happen

make nothing happen…

4 hours ago, stephers said:

Dealer or Rogerstii   should have them     Yes, they do have holes in them for safety wire and the nuts on them are integral with them      I would use loctite on them as well and make sure you wire them so it works to stop them from loosening. I have seen lots just with wire run thru them really doing nothing

Thanks, Rick

Thanks Rick!!!

• Like 1

Smoke test today, still trying to locate source of lean acceleration.  Maybe this is it?  WUR hose plugged, MATCO detector installed and on highest pressure setting.  This is the only leak, right from the bottom of the tuna can bushing….  

Enough to drag my light acceleration AFRs all the way to 18?  Also posting to my Fuel Delivery thread….

‘74 Fjord 2002tii (Zouave)

’80 Alpenweiss 528i (Evelyn)

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

‘56 Savage Model 99 in .250-3000