• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

2 minutes ago, BarneyT said:

Because Ray couldn’t attend i had to buy my own ice cream…

Andrew owes me ice cream. You should have discussed with him.

:D

• Haha 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

@BarneyT  Thank you so much for posting pictures!  That looks like the biggest turn out yet?

Finals are looming next week, but I did get a couple little things knocked out this weekend.

1) Exhaust

In an effort to mitigate weight gain I opted to do a titanium exhaust system.  Ordered a bunch of bits from Vibrant to make it happen.  By my estimates, it'll end up being close to half the weight of the factory system.  Overall, taking into account the M20 swap and all part changes on my "weights spread sheet", I'm getting very close to a net-zero weight difference over a stock roundie running a 5-speed.  (a couple mufflers are not pictures).

IMG-1567

A couple observations with regard to titanium ....

1) One goal is to have a higher pitch in the exhaust note.  Titanium helps with this by simply being thinner.  We are going to try a couple things with regard to header design as well, so it should be interesting.

2) When buying material, mandrel bends of titanium are actually much more expensive than the fancy "pie-cuts" you see on fancy aftermarket systems.

IMG-1564

IMG-1565

2) Brakes

Final brake system clearance checks..... and jeez it's tight.  I really wanted to run the Alfa-brembo single-line brake calipers with e21 vented rotors behind the Diana wheels .... did a rough mock up a year ago.  Did final mock up over the weekend.  Looks like the OD of the rotor and the hat itself need to be turned down slightly (thanks @MOJOJOY for pointing that out.  Rear 250mm drums also JUST cleared.

IMG-1555

IMG-1556

Cool OEM little bracket from the Alfa the calipers came off of that allow for a short section of hardline at the caliper.  Made some new hardlines and had technafit make some custom flex lines to thread right in.  This setup mitigates stress at the fitting, so we'll call it a win!

IMG-1560

• Like 10

Cleared just enough space in the shop to make room for the hoist and then engine stand.  Removed the hood and did a little rust treatment on the underside, after chunking away the nasty 47 year old hood foam.  Next, remove glass, remove dash, remove everything... haha

IMG_0954.jpg

• Like 6

Drove Henrik for the first time today with the 245 5-speed. Interestingly, 4th gear was somewhat rough for a mile or so, then seemed to loosen up/get lubricated. Shifts nice through the gears!

I'll put 50 miles on it with Castrol then replace with MTL.

IMG_6941.jpeg

• Like 4

'74 2002Tii Sienabraun: Henrik

'67 Ford Galaxie 500: Grandpa

I took my friend for a ride today, we drove back home after 8 months of storage. 

My friend ran like a top,  despite sitting and  waiting all that time to hit the streets again and,  looked pretty as ever!

We didn't talk much. I didn't know what to say....When I tried, I stumbled on  what seemed every syllable . I am sure my friend knew that somethin' was off. I was in the seat, not Paul.

IMG_5618.thumb.jpg.22e42318a5b29a18534731fdecc51491.jpg

None the less,  you could feel his presence. I am sure Paul understood what I was trying to say and  I hope he knows she will be cared for just as before.

She's back home safe and sound now Paul.

RIP  my friend.

Edited by joysterm
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 2

On 4/14/2022 at 5:34 AM, its55 said:

Working underneath cleaning off grime and touching up some spots...

67157827290__A0F2B5C9-BAB2-42D8-9BAA-8CDCC6D04F98.jpeg

You inspired me to finally get under there and do it!IMG_20220504_155857.thumb.jpg.e2fe13ed7e29ea67d4e2ca168239bbef.jpg

• Like 8

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

Yesterday I wired up a 3rd brake light (paranoid about making a new unexpected friend driving to The Vintage) and started installation of a new radio antenna.  What a PITA getting the new wire routed!

This week is brake flush. Then all fluids will have been changed in last few months.  Also have to figure out what is wrong with passenger window.  Doesn’t roll up all the way and doesn’t want to go down. 

• Like 1

I did the clutch slave on Carolina, my ‘73, last Fall when it failed completely. Didn’t do the clutch master cylinder, until today! Man, that was a bit of a beast. Original part was in there, and my wife won Mother of the Year award today coming out and helping with the tricky part of the attachment bolts to the pedal box. Got it replaced, and test drive proved it’s well done and I think I’ve finally sorted all the mechanicals on this car I picked up a few years  ago and had sat for 10+ years.

The car had the original pedal box foam/insulation piece, but in removing it, it tore and while it’s mostly in tact I didn’t put it back on. The box itself is sort of okay — some rust forming from the foam having collected moisture. Curious what others do and if I should re-mount it or just leave it off.

D2FB6152-54EB-4C98-8D24-3AC5097142ED.jpeg

• Like 2

--

'73 Sahara numbers matching 

'74 Mintgrun sunroof car w/ oem Golde deflector, euro bumpers, 5spd, owned since 2002