• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

On 5/9/2022 at 1:18 PM, Brett said:

Doing some more prep work for Vintage - put in my "new to me and refinished Recaros"

Does anyone know where to find the plastic covers for the outsides and insides of the Recaros? Thanks!

67381490026__23845EBD-B536-411A-9D9C-78E6DF3E9298.JPG

67381824073__F853E37B-7B81-4916-B578-D67B1BDD156D.JPG

@Brett

I found Recaro parts through an eBay seller, retro-autotek. He’s in Australia, but shipping was surprisingly fast and parts were well packed. 
?

4 hours ago, RichenFamous said:

@Brett

I found Recaro parts through an eBay seller, retro-autotek. He’s in Australia, but shipping was surprisingly fast and parts were well packed. 
?

As far as I can tell, these rail covers have no part numbers on them and I have not found them in any recaro literature.  Maybe what I have are not actual recaro parts (either that or my search strings are failing me)

Getting to the core of the rust, which is reveals itself as an iceberg does from the surface. A few new body panels coming from W&N, and working toward the eventual repaint. 

54F73CDA-38D2-4EF3-9A59-28455BB484E5.jpeg

E33825CA-53E4-43C4-A90F-1D46BE84CE1A.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

73 02 Inka

05 M3 Schwarz 2

67 912 Light Ivory

8 hours ago, jp5Touring said:

Had my o2 sensor go bad after maybe 700 miles wtf.

On the Innovate site, they discuss bung length and claim that there is no need to dangle the sensor way out into the exhaust stream.  They say that doing so can lead to overheating/failure and suggest using a one inch long bung.

https://www.diyautotune.com/product/innovate-motorsports-extended-o2-sensor-bung-3764/ 

Here are some tips about extending the life of the sensor --

http://blog.innovatemotorsports.com/important-tips-to-get-the-maximum-life-out-of-your-o2-sensor/

8 hours ago, jp5Touring said:

I also started to get a 3000 rpm plus ignition miss. Installed a new cap and rotor and everything appears okay.  What do people get mileage wise out of caps/rotors ?

This cap has only 3k or  4k at most.   Any thoughts ?

IMG_4199.thumb.jpg.79c495f2d6d70e7c52d627cd91882c62.jpg

Have you checked the resistance in the rotor you removed?  They're supposed to be 5k ohms.  (usually say 5K on the underside of Bosch rotors)  I only have one that tests "bad" in the bunch of used ones up in the shop.

There were several different rotors specified over the years.  I have a catalog that tells which rotor goes in each distributor and will look yours up, if you tell me the model number.  (It is a Bosch catalog/reference book).  Feel free to send me a PM.

I get many miles out of caps and rotors.  

You could reinstall the old rotor and see if the problem comes back and do the same with the cap independently.  

It could be that there was a loose connection at the cap and swapping them solved that, but I don't see why that would be rpm dependent.

Tom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rotor:   way way way back I started using the rotor for a 320i.  I was too cheap to afford that fancy original-issue rpm-limiting rotor.  No problems at all with the 320i rotor.

Cap:   after all these decades, I think I'm on my 2nd cap.  

Cheers,

Carl

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, OriginalOwner said:

Rotor:   way way way back I started using the rotor for a 320i.  I was too cheap to afford that fancy original-issue rpm-limiting rotor.  No problems at all with the 320i rotor.

I like the wider tip on the 320i rotor, but they only have 1K ohm resistance built in; as opposed to 5K ohm specified for our cars (all years).  I used the wide tipped 320i rotor for years with "no problems" but went back to 5K rotors after reading about how that resistance increases the spark's duration.  They cost the same as the 320i rotors.

I've never used a rev-limiting rotor.  Too fantsy and not in my budget either.

Tom

1 hour ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

On the Innovate site, they discuss bung length and claim that there is no need to dangle the sensor way out into the exhaust stream.  They say that doing so can lead to overheating/failure and suggest using a one inch long bung.

https://www.diyautotune.com/product/innovate-motorsports-extended-o2-sensor-bung-3764/ 

Here are some tips about extending the life of the sensor --

http://blog.innovatemotorsports.com/important-tips-to-get-the-maximum-life-out-of-your-o2-sensor/

Have you checked the resistance in the rotor you removed?  They're supposed to be 5k ohms.  (usually say 5K on the underside of Bosch rotors)  I only have one that tests "bad" in the bunch of used ones up in the shop.

There were several different rotors specified over the years.  I have a catalog that tells which rotor goes in each distributor and will look yours up, if you tell me the model number.  (It is a Bosch catalog/reference book).  Feel free to send me a PM.

I get many miles out of caps and rotors.  

You could reinstall the old rotor and see if the problem comes back and do the same with the cap independently.  

It could be that there was a loose connection at the cap and swapping them solved that, but I don't see why that would be rpm dependent.

Tom

Thanks Tom I appreciate the info.  I have an AEM AFR and they are kinda known for 02 sensors to go bad.  

Good idea on cap/rotor  will swap it out and see.

Will check it out with my multi meter.

again thanks

I think I figured out my 3k plus miss.  When I redid the O2 sensor my arm pushed the air filter down. When the car warmed up ran it thru the gears and my miss was back.

Open hood and find the air filter pushed down. I did the same thing yesterday when working on stuff but didn't put the two together.

Pulled filter up and ran like a champ half hour drive home.

IMG_4206.thumb.jpg.7024439e89b9fd22a11ae636d3060f8f.jpg

• Like 4

Ordered a O2 sensor on Monday and showed up on my porch Tuesday. Ordered spare cap/rotor and misc. for The Vintage from Bluntech Monday and also got it today.

I worry about driving 1400 miles round trip in my 2002 for The Vintage, then remember I once drove a Opel Manta from Michigan to Florida and back with to much beer and no spare parts.

So I think will be okay. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

BMW has you covered, run your chain from the loop just above the alternator bracket to the cast in loop just above the starter motor loose enough so the high point when lifting is a bit higher than the valve cover.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944