• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

I was finally able to get back to the shop and man was it a blast.

Found my seat sliders (still attached to some surplus seats I got with my car), installed the defroster nozzles into the dashboard and attached them to the heater hoses, put connectors on my homemade dome light harness and plugged it in, and did a little work to my console -- kooglewerks gauge face installed, AFR gauge installed ...

Good times. Now that the weather seems to be breaking, I plan to get busy on the car. I want to drive it by June or July.

collin738 that's not bad! looks like someone did some nice things to it.  5 speed? I'm trippin' on that blue carpet...

where did you find that?

Found it in The Seattle area. 5 speed swap, disc brakes, and a m10 1.8l swap.
Rear seats are out of a 635

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Forewarning, this is not a your typical glamour shot, but possibly more rewarding than what many have done with their 2002's "today".  Next up, lowering spring and a five speed tranny.

I have been waiting since I bought my car in November 2017 to add to this thread.  I finally eradicated the squatters in my heater box, and I can breath freely once again.

If you are squeamish, close your eyes now (and thank you to all of the people who helped me remove and clean my heater box)

PSA.  For anyone experiencing "that sickeningly sweet smell", check the area under the fuse box, under your seat cushions, in the pedal box, and worst case scenario (biggest pain in the ass), the heater box).  Removing rodent smell is my favorite mod to date on any ride I've owned.

Tii Mouse 1.jpg

Tii Mouse 2.jpg

Tii Mouse 3.jpg

Edited by M5280RCR
  • Like 8
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

'73 Riviera Tii

'93 M5 Dinan stroker, etc...

'08 M3 ESS 625 s/c'er, etc..

'64 Stingray

I drove 925km between Adelaide and Wagga Wagga on the first leg of moving my car to Sydney. Pretty uneventful really, car sat at 70 mph all day and pulled strongly in 3rd and 4th gear all the way to about 5,800 revs (you can work out what speed that gives you ;)) for overtaking Road Trains (think semi trailer with 2 or 3 trailers on the back). 

No mechanical incidents apart from a weird one with the alternator which didn’t cause any problems (I will start a separate thread on that I think). 

546F9544-F1DF-47EE-9F7C-D3A487CC3397.thumb.jpeg.343b49e5529243a7437d1fde3084e46f.jpegB3D00C8D-4FDA-4113-AE60-03CBB3CA1479.thumb.jpeg.d66a0efa9c822d02ac84cdfae41c60a1.jpegDFFE4DBD-F899-4129-8292-BE9188605C1D.thumb.jpeg.2182387d432bcd20a6de412b6bef8d10.jpeg

• Like 11

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

Pre-Spring Dust-Off Drive

After a long, nasty, wet, snowy, salty-roaded NY winter, we finally had enough rain to wash the salt from the roads. You SoCal folks have no idea how truly lucky you are! So I did a quick visual check of this and that, checked Schatzi's fluids, all seemed okay. I popped out the plugs, squirted some oil into the cylinders to lube them after her long winter's nap, waited a couple of hours to let it seep into the cylinders. Then fired her up; had to use starting fluid, Smoked a bit from the oil, but Sweet - she started! I backed her out of the garage, and let her idle / warm-up in the driveway while I checked the tire pressures (all low). I went back in the house for my sunglasses. A minute later, my wife said "I smell gas!" I go back outside, and there's a sizeable puddle of gas under the car. I turned her off, got out the fire extinguisher just in case and prayed it wouldn't ignite. Pulled off the air cleaner and saw gas dripping from the mech fuel pump outlet. The hose clamp was just a wee bit loose. But when it comes to gas, there ain't no such thing as a "wee bit". To be on the safe side, I cut an inch off that end of the hose and re-fitted it, re-tightened the clamp. Hose good, no cracks. All okay now; no more leaks. I remember someone posting an alert that the brass outlet had come loose from their fuel pump, so I re-checked that. Both brass fittings, inlet and outlet, were solid. That's when it occurred to me how severe the problem could've been. The damn What-Ifs. What if it had ignited while it was still in the garage...? Scary stuff, indeed.

Moral of this story: check EVERYTHING (especially those fuel lines) before that dust-off drive.

Happy ending: great ride, no problems. Fell back in love with my '02. In an instant, I shed 45 years and was 21 again! Truly a time machine!!

-Bob

• Like 5

-Bob
(current: 1972 Malaga 2002, VIN 2584644, build date July 26, 1972)

Previous: 1973 Sahara 2002 #2585896 (RIP), 1969 1600, 1971 2002, 1964 Triumph Herald convertible, 1965 Triumph Herald convertible, 1961 Triumph TR3A, 1967 Triumph TR4A-irs, 1959 Austin Healey 100/6, and about 10 other cars (most of which were quite boring)...

17 hours ago, iinca said:

collin738 that's not bad! looks like someone did some nice things to it.  5 speed? I'm trippin' on that blue carpet...

where did you find that?

Yes, lovely interior and very tasteful. I too am tripping on the carpet and also the mats (Coco?)

• Like 1

Picked up a hand pumped power bleeder unit from Craigslist for $20 earlier in the week and flushed the the brake fluid yesterday. The existing fluid was actually pretty clean but it's good to have peace of mind. I wish the bleeder would fit my Karmann Ghia reservoir, it's a fun little job.

5 minutes ago, 7502 said:

I wish the bleeder would fit my Karmann Ghia reservoir,

you can make a cap to fit that.

I found that the brake fluid bottle cap has the same (or similar enough) threads to the VW bug reservoir lid.

You just have to plumb a nipple into the top of the cap.  

Tom

40 minutes ago, '76mintgrun'02 said:

you can make a cap to fit that.

I found that the brake fluid bottle cap has the same (or similar enough) threads to the VW bug reservoir lid.

You just have to plumb a nipple into the top of the cap.  

Tom

Thanks Tom, I'll look into that.