• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

On 1/24/2024 at 8:42 PM, 0257 said:

Great point.  Use red heat gasket goo (Permatex makes a version) at each joint.  Between muffler mid-section and rear section notorious for leaking, and it’s right under the trunk.

Note too that a lot of mufflers, even those sold by the dealer, leak badly.  I’d smoke test my muffler if I were you, to ensure you’re not polluting the cabin with lots of exhaust right under the car.  I’m about to test my third dealer-purchased rear muffler today before I paint and install it!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

‘74 Fjord 2002tii (Zouave)

’80 Alpenweiss 528i (Evelyn)

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

‘56 Savage Model 99 in .250-3000

Added an ambient (outside) air temperature sensor to the Haltech R3 and added the output to one of the screens on the Haltech dash display.

20240126_132703.jpg

• Like 6

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

4 hours ago, 0257 said:

Note too that a lot of mufflers, even those sold by the dealer, leak badly.  I’d smoke test my muffler if I were you, to ensure you’re not polluting the cabin with lots of exhaust right under the car.  I’m about to test my third dealer-purchased rear muffler today before I paint and install it!

The effort so far has improved the issue a lot but it still deserves a leak test. Thanks for the suggestion. Now looking for best way to find the leak without buying a special tool that rarely gets used

3 minutes ago, Eissmann said:

The effort so far has improved the issue a lot but it still deserves a leak test. Thanks for the suggestion. Now looking for best way to find the leak without buying a special tool that rarely gets used

It’s called “friends with tools”!  Actually, there’s at least one thread on this faq that discusses how to make your own smoke generator with baking soda and alligator snot, or some such.

• Like 1

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

Need to take a drive tomorrow morning to see my mom, it'll be 176 miles in what the media around here likes to call an "atmospheric river". I actually liked what they previously called it "pineapple express". Either way, it's bound to be a long wet drive. After a cold snap into the teens and then a bunch of snow it's been a few weeks since I've drove the 2002 since I've been using the KG.

Tonight I'm placing it on he trickle charger set to AGM setting. Hope everything goes as planned.

DSC_0168.JPG

Edited by 7502
  • Like 3

Final patch piece (out of 5) for the front drivers side welded in. Up next will be some primer, seam sealer, Eastwood Internal Frame treatment, then floorpan. Pretty much out of gas so floorpan may need to wait till Monday. 

Before:

IMG_1658.thumb.jpeg.6c0ce031cd7cb23beee8bc60ccb8e84c.jpeg

After:

IMG_3045.thumb.jpeg.17809a4984bb54c2c00846b25002ff49.jpeg

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Leucadian said:

image.thumb.png.168a3c41ab0753550dd03cbca948edb9.png

Driver front struts out!

image.thumb.png.a71c8ce2ad8fbfa1713dab5653ccb985.png

Safety wire bolt snapped in half...

Classic torque failure.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Tonight started one of my remaining list of projects: ball joints and spring pads. 

Finished driver side tonight. Pulled strut, took it apart and replaced the spring pads with new. They literally disintegrated as I was handling it lol. 
While strut was out I replaced the lower/outer ball joint. Hard to break it free of the steering arm but not as hard as expected. And the nut came off with impact just fine. They’ve been replaced before-no rivets. 

Other side tomorrow. 

image.thumb.jpeg.a811050c314d8b2b3ca6183daa6d79bb.jpeg

• Like 5

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

1986 e30 325es (sons car)

1972 2002tii (fun daily alternative)

BMW NA finally (after three tries) sends me a rear muffler that passes a smoke test.  Of course, the paint’s basically falling off it and the decorative exhaust tip slides around on the terminal end like a Trojan XXX on a 1/4” ratchet.

Meanwhile, back at my state of the art paint booth:IMG_1471.thumb.jpeg.b26212871ca7d3d9ba112f5c9dc4d2a8.jpeg

• Like 6

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

Picked up the head and short block so assembly has begun.  Very pleased with the work Abacus Racing did.  Look for many questions as I begin the assembly.

image.thumb.jpeg.7a0baa3d7d3f6d08db1b4f1f71921b7d.jpeg

Edited by MurphinDC