• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

2 hours ago, beammmer said:

Wow @JMK that looks nice.  How is it to install ?  Thanks,

Don

Don,

I didn't have to but I first familiarized myself with the terminals to be sure I was using the correct ones.  Then I lifted the old box as high as the wires allowed and rolled it towards the windshield.  Then one by one, I transferred each wire to the new box starting the the bottom row (with the old box rolled vertical), i.e. fuses 7-12.

Mounted the box in the fender and connected the battery cable.

The switch between fuses 9 and 10 is to disable the LEDs to not pull battery power.  LEDs illuminate the circuits in use, like when headlights are off, do not illuminate.

It's a top quality box and the cover fits.

Edited by jimk
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Right now I have 6mm staples to try. Wood is quarter inch. 

9 minutes ago, bergie33 said:

What thickness plywood and what size staples are you using? 

I need to make mine too, but I don't have old ones to make a template from.  I may have to borrow them from a buddy to trace them out.

Think through the floor panel project before diving into it.  Act in haste. Repent in leisure. 

you can buy new floor panels made from plywood flooring underlay material. I bought some but they are approximately the same as my originals. Not exactly the same. No doubt the factory used a bit of tolerance when making them. 

The new panels do not come with the snap in clips for the panel over the spare tire. You need to source these to keep the panel in place. The mounting of the clips is fairly precise.  You’ll have to measure and check a few times to get them right. 

The panel over the gas tank gets screwed in place. 

The vinyl floor covering aka the Elephant hide is also readily available from a few sources. My new material is an exact copy of the original. 

I will likely just reuse my old panels if the old covering can be removed without damage and the new vinyl applied. They already fit properly. 

if you are replacing your trunk floor be careful here as well. I was going to replace my entire floor but have decided to just focus on the rusty spare tire well.  The rest only needs some minor repairs. 

I hope these attached photos of my panels etc will help you. 

IMG_6292.jpeg

IMG_6291.jpeg

IMG_6289.jpeg

IMG_6288.jpeg

IMG_6287.jpeg

IMG_6286.jpeg

IMG_6285.jpeg

IMG_6284.jpeg

IMG_6283.jpeg

IMG_6282.jpeg

IMG_6281.jpeg

IMG_6280.jpeg

IMG_6279.jpeg

• Like 4

12 hours ago, its55 said:

Could you let me know the details of your third brake light install, or point me to the threads?  I’ve been thinking about doing this!

11 hours ago, JQ02 said:

lol. I just posted a similar question on Pablo's thread

I did update that thread. Here’s my response post: 

image.thumb.jpeg.2e77256c372e565c3a27280fce47b2fd.jpeg

• Like 4

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

1986 e30 325es (sons car)

1972 2002tii (fun daily alternative)

I inspected my (prototype) rear trailing arm - it's got spherical bearings in the ends, to replace the rubber / urethane / plastic / bronze (yes I've seen that) bushings. It's for use on race cars with camber and toe adjusters on the subframe. The articulation will prevent binding during movement, particularly when making camber/toe adjustments. -KB

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Highnote1 said:

One side done! I’ll take it! Tank side is harder though. 

IMG_5916.jpeg

Looks really good! I have that project to do as well. I already have the fabric and was going to just rewrap my panels. Did you use any adhesive, like 3M headliner or Super 77 spray adhesive, or just the staples? 
Also, why is the tank side harder? And did I see that the tank side gets screwed down? Pretty sure mine isnt so curious how that's supposed to work. 

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

1986 e30 325es (sons car)

1972 2002tii (fun daily alternative)

1 minute ago, Pablo M said:

Looks really good! I have that project to do as well. I already have the fabric and was going to just rewrap my panels. Did you use any adhesive, like 3M headliner or Super 77 spray adhesive, or just the staples? 
Also, why is the tank side harder? And did I see that the tank side gets screwed down? Pretty sure mine isnt so curious how that's supposed to work. 

I did spray adhesive first on the faces and then wrapped with the stapler. My 76 had panels and were never screwed down. If it’s uneven I’ll mount some foam on the bottom side strategically. 

This is like one of those eye tests... Number one, or number two.  Number one, or number two..☺️

#1 is what the powder coating place calls "the standard".  Reminds me of the old VW bug engine shrouds.

#2 is what the powder coating place calls "satin black".  Which do you prefer? 

I think #1 most closely matches the original when I have them both in my hands.  Hard to judge from photos.  Both are nice.

The airbox from my '74 tii is up next to be coated in #1...

Choices1.jpg

Choices2.jpg

Edited by JohnS

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

21 minutes ago, JohnS said:

This is like one of those eye tests... Number one, or number two.  Number one, or number two..☺️

#1 is what the powder coating place calls "the standard".  Reminds me of the old VW bug engine shrouds.

#2 is what the powder coating place calls "satin black".  Which do you prefer? 

I think #1 most closely matches the original when I have them both in my hands.  Hard to judge from photos.  Both are nice.

The airbox from my '74 tii is up next to be coated in #1...

I prefer the somewhat higher gloss of #1, but I'm an old VW Beetle guy 😆

S/N 2579886 Inka (Code 022) Birthday 03 Dec 1971 Delivered 13 Dec 1971 to Hoffman Motors 40 DCOE's, 9.5CR, 123 Ignition 

#792890.Smaller.jpg