• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

1 hour ago, 68gretchen said:

Thanks for the inspiration !

IMG_20240627_145307522_HDR.jpg

Funny, on mine a '74tii the bottom rubber part was painted yellow from the factory, that's why I painted over it in yellow, but on yours it isn't painted.  Differences....  Looks good!

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

1 minute ago, JohnS said:

Funny, on mine a '74tii the bottom rubber part was painted yellow from the factory, that's why I painted over it in yellow, but on yours it isn't painted.  Differences....  Looks good!

I noticed that after I'd painted mine. I'd been meaning to do it for a while but didn't want to buy a can just for that. After seeing your post I rummaged around in my paint cabinet and found a full can !

My car is a mish-mash so whether or not it's painted "correctly" wasn't my concern...just happy to see it done 🙂

55 minutes ago, sczapiga said:

Looks good! How’d you wire up the back of the fuse box?

It was a direct plug and play. No modifications needed. Link below. 

WWW.HOLYGRAILLABS.COM

Replaces the original fuse box in BMW 2002 (E10) cars with a modern, aesthetically similar, fuse box based on...

2002-062_proto_back_1080x.thumb.jpg.c058c14ad7cfa969fb1f499447614403.jpg

• Like 3

On 4/30/2024 at 1:23 AM, 72pdx02 said:

I love your squareback. I’ve always wanted one of those. I’ve owned several bugs. A 61, 69 and 55. The most fun VW I owned though was my 92 GTI. I really miss that car and wish I had kept it. It took me everywhere for 14 years. Then kids came and I thought it was time to grow up and get a family car. 

IMG_1698.jpeg

IMG_1697.jpeg

@72pdx02We were twinning back in the day...

68703511439__40EEF7C3-56F7-4151-8BF9-C8E3183B2E42.jpeg

Edited by JKKH
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1973 2002 - my '02 was built on my '02

Other - 2022 V60CC, 2014 B8.5 S4, 2003 TJ

Past - 1996 318ti, 1999 323i, 2004 X3 (with 6-spd manual!), 2007 328i spt pkg, 2015 XC70, and a whole mess of GTIs in the old days.

Light polish, degrease, then light clear coat, bake in sun.  Easy.  Now searching, always searching...  😅

When I sprayed the relays with the clear coat, I taped off the lower section with the prongs, didn't spray that.  The pic is after I took off the tape and they were baking...

Those newer Orange relays were bugging me...  Looks only... work great

Edited by JohnS
  • Like 4

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

Inspired by my rear parcel shelf re-wrapping success I finally tackled the trunk vinyl redo. I had bought the vinyl long ago but since I was using my trunk as my tool box I waited till now, with the car running again. 
It went pretty quick. I’m really satisfied with the outcome.  
I wanted to go darker so went black vinyl. Has similar texture to the original elephant skin. 
Also swapped the edge protectors on the fenders from white to black. The original white looked bad, even after cleaning. 

image.thumb.jpeg.8e8e44a44d1fc59bbc93f87e3e39c2c6.jpeg

Next will be tie rods, then carpet (esty) and I have to fix the driver door lock. 

Edited by Pablo M
Oops
  • Like 7

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

1986 e30 325es (sons car)

1972 2002tii (fun daily alternative)

Finished sewing the perforated panels on the driver's seat.... ! after repairing the feed dog linkage on the old 1910 Singer 31-15 industrial machine... the 02 is a simple machine after dealing with that mechanical entrapment of mystical wizardry! 

• Like 4

Hacker of many things... master of none.

Gunther March 19, 1974. Hoffman Motors march 22 1974 NYC

Jacked up the car, pulled passenger drum, and ran it through the gears on jack stands to see if I could isolate a noise. It sounds a bit like cicadas and starts at about 20 mph. Still happening. It’s gotta be the center support bearing or the diff. Not sure yet. I think it was a little quieter after I sprayed some lube in the CSB but not 100% sure. I haven’t replaced that yet so might as well. I also have a new diff to go in so between those two it should clear it up. My goal for autocross this summer might be out the window unless I hustle. 

I also replaced the passenger door brake with an “upgraded” one but turns out the arm is pretty long and doesn’t really prevent the trim from being crushed. The product copy didn’t mention anything about that. It does slow it down but I am sure a determined passenger could find a way to mangle the trim.  Disappointed since it took forever to drive out the pin. Debating whether or not to take it back out and chop off some length. 

Old arm and pin. 

IMG_3923.thumb.jpeg.a0901e9664b4034df2103b9999c5832b.jpeg

Old busted door brake

IMG_3914.thumb.jpeg.f1154a2b34094e2e178cdf9c8f335481.jpeg

Edited by popovm