• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

30 minutes ago, jimk said:

ceramic spray to the car exterior paint, chrome, rubber and glass.

What brand did you use, any previous experience? A couple of years ago I applied a 'ceramic' spray to the back windows of my E38, supposed to cut down the infrared and heat gain. In a few weeks it began to haze over, then went milky. What a PITA to remove. 

Obviously not a good product, that's what I get for listening to a "recommeded expert"... duh.

Hacker of many things... master of none.

Gunther March 19, 1974. Hoffman Motors march 22 1974 NYC

I think the only ceramic that will last is the type applied with an applicator fabric and then gently wiped after it flashes in 1 to 2 minutes.  I just did this on the e9 and it was pretty easy.

• Like 1

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix

1 hour ago, OldRoller said:

What brand did you use, any previous experience? A couple of years ago I applied a 'ceramic' spray to the back windows of my E38, supposed to cut down the infrared and heat gain. In a few weeks it began to haze over, then went milky. What a PITA to remove. 

Obviously not a good product, that's what I get for listening to a "recommeded expert"... duh.

https://www.amsoil.com/p/amsoil-exterior-ceramic-spray-csf/?zo=36101

There is a deal on until July 16, $5 (normally about $20) for a Preferred Customer. 

It went on like @HBChris said, no film, no having to clean out from cracks like polish.

• Like 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

8 hours ago, jimk said:

Applied ceramic spray to the car exterior paint, chrome, rubber and glass.

How’d you like it Jim? I know it’s hydrophobically good, but how’s the depth? Your paint’s original right? Did you do much prep prior to application?

My 435 gets the ceramic treatment (Gyeon), but I’ve kept to using wax exclusively (Prima Banana Gloss, going in 20 yrs) on my 02.

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

7 minutes ago, visionaut said:

but how’s the depth? Your paint’s original right? Did you do much prep prior to application?

By depth are you referring to the physical thickness or depth of color/shine.  The color is very brilliant, surface won't hold a plastic bottle, it slides off.  I have no idea of the thickness.

Paint didn't need polishing, claybar is not required, but it wouldn't hurt to do that.  All did was to wipe an area with a wet cloth right before applying the ceramic.  Squirt it on and spread it around with a microfiber towel.

I did 2 cars plus some areas on the pickup and used about 1/3 of the bottle.  It's not a permanent thing, label says good for a year., we'll see.

• Like 2

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Decided to roll out to a July 4 car show near me today.

After doing the work yesterday I feel like I "scratched the itch" and now would rather stay home in the A/C.

Guess I need to go just to show all the American cars that the Euros still exist. I'll enter the car show judging for kicks, (not that mine is amazing) but they never have any idea what they're looking at.

1. Washed the cobwebs off the bottom

2. Detailed the interior, touchup color on e24 rear seats,

3. Resealed the exhaust (but still have random idle pops),

4. Tried to fix the sticky speedo by taking it apart and adjusting the weight,

...then I fell down the hole of not leaving well enough alone:

5. Rewired the headlights to use relays per the FAQ (now I want to buy a relay box and redo the entire lighting harness)

6. Chased a melted Green/White wire from the headlight switch (will need to redo wire and wrap harness inside cabin once I can unwrap and chase more of it, need to possibly take seat and dash out so I'm not working upside down)

7. Broke the headlight knob, shaft trying to "fix" the threads. Had to buy a replacement.

8. Noted 3 old projects I'd like to redo,

9. Noted 2 new projects I should probably start looking for parts and supplies for.

10. Noted that its never ending...

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, theNomad said:

Decided to roll out to a July 4 car show near me today.

After doing the work yesterday I feel like I "scratched the itch" and now would rather stay home in the A/C.

Ha, been there. It’s funny, sometimes after doing hours and hours of car stuff getting ready for a show or meetup, doing more car stuff by going to the show doesn’t sound as great as it initially did. 

• Like 1

For Father's day, I requested some new trunk boards from Turtle Laboratories.  While waiting for my headliner to be sewn, I started the process of covering them with Elephant skin grey vinyl.  The driver's side took a little longer with the installation of the clips, so I didn't get to the passenger side.  Should look pretty nice when done.

Mark92131

IMG_4337.JPG

• Like 12

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)