• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

6 hours ago, John76 said:

Started my car for the first time since June 30, 2023!

Congrats!

It is definitely a challenge to balance these little time sinks with the rest of life :D

When I replaced the oil pump on my '90 Mustang the valves continued to rattle at idle for over a minute and I thought the engine was ruined. 1/4 mile down the road the it suddenly quieted down and has been running strong for 1000s of miles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1976 2002 - Segundo

1936 Ford pickup hotrod, 2010 Honda Ridgeline

Segundo blog

Paoli (PA) Car Show - Oct 5, 2024

13 hours ago, Highnote1 said:

A “few” parts showed up today. Need my car back with some paint on it to get this stuff outta the house!

I just ordered a bunch of stuff from Pelican and IE last night. I'm scheduled for sandblasting Aug 8, then paint engine bay, then pull suspension for powder coating. It. Takes. So. Long. I can't wait to shift to "put stuff back on" mode!

1976 2002 - Segundo

Segundo blog

Had the differential rebuilt due to a bad/LOUD pinion bearing and pretty significant tiger stripping on the ring and pinion.  Whole new level of smiles driving it!  (PC: EuroTechMN)

IMG_0469.jpeg

IMG_0468.jpeg

Edited by JKKH
  • Like 3

John

1973 Nevada 2002 - 2023 CCA Classic Car Raffle car

Other - 2022 V60CC, 2014 B8.5 S4, 2003 TJ

Past - 1996 318ti, 1999 323i, 2004 X3 (with 6-spd manual), 2007 328i (spt pkg), 2015 XC70, and a whole mess of GTIs in the old days.

38 minutes ago, JKKH said:

Had the differential rebuilt (PC: EuroTechMN).  Whole new level of smiles driving it!

IMG_0469.jpeg

Nice.
Question adjacent to this for anyone...

I'm going to tow dolly my car to get it sandblasted and then painted.

I thought I read somewhere that the suspension can sag and be harmed by not supporting it when the diff is out.

I'd like to remove the diff for sandblasting. Is it a bad idea to tow dolly the car without a diff?

I figure worst-case, I can at least remove the axles. (engine, trans, drive shaft are all out)

1976 2002 - Segundo

Segundo blog

24 minutes ago, JQ02 said:

I can at least remove the axles.

Good idea.

You don't want them flopping around during the tow ... and you don't want sand getting into the joints.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Glueing together my 3d printed shift surround. I will texture and paint after. Should be good!

IMG_6044.jpeg

IMG_6043.jpeg

update!! For not wrapping it in vinyl and just paint and texture…I’m satisfied!

image.jpg

Edited by Highnote1
  • Like 10

3 hours ago, Highnote1 said:

Glueing together my 3d printed shift surround. I will texture and paint after. Should be good!

IMG_6044.jpeg

IMG_6043.jpeg

update!! For not wrapping it in vinyl and just paint and texture…I’m satisfied!

image.jpg

Very nice :)

I too 3D printed a surround, but mine was a 'stand alone' surround as I have a Frigiking AC installed.  After printing, I wrapped it in leather for the finished look.

BTW, the 'block' on the front right is for attaching a cup-holder, and the small opening in the back is a USB port.

IMG_5403.thumb.JPG.50cd33d223ed10d2ac90455994117cd3.JPGIMG_5405.thumb.JPG.e6cc250643be0fbcc7b0b6a726f684c2.JPG

• Like 8

S/N 2579886 Inka (Code 022) Birthday 03 Dec 1971 Delivered 13 Dec 1971 to Hoffman Motors 40 DCOE's, 9.5CR, 123 Ignition 

#792890.Smaller.jpg

13 minutes ago, Steve76063 said:

Very nice :)

I too 3D printed a surround, but mine was a 'stand alone' surround as I have a Frigiking AC installed.  After printing, I wrapped it in leather for the finished look.

BTW, the 'block' on the front right is for attaching a cup-holder, and the small opening in the back is a USB port.

IMG_5403.thumb.JPG.50cd33d223ed10d2ac90455994117cd3.JPGIMG_5405.thumb.JPG.e6cc250643be0fbcc7b0b6a726f684c2.JPG

That’s bad ass!

Y’all are probably getting bored with all the dinky do things I’m doing but gotta use my time! Got a used door lock pull from Facebook and made a copy out of welding rod for the other door. Car was missing both. My life is complete. 😂IMG_6047.thumb.jpeg.7d5ea7a0de2ef178babc4b287c114e10.jpeg

Edited by Highnote1
  • Like 6

54 minutes ago, Highnote1 said:

Y’all are probably getting bored with all the dinky do things I’m doing but gotta use my time! Got a used door lock pull from Facebook and made a copy out of welding rod for the other door. Car was missing both. My life is complete. 😂IMG_6047.thumb.jpeg.7d5ea7a0de2ef178babc4b287c114e10.jpeg

Nice! I have been thinking of using some coat hanger and cutting some thread into it to make a late model plastic grill hook hold back thing for my ‘76. That diameter welding rod looks closer to the correct size I need. 

And your surround looks awesome. We need a 2002 repo for 3D print files. Do you (or @Steve76063) have your files posted anywhere like printables.com? 

34 minutes ago, popovm said:

Nice! I have been thinking of using some coat hanger and cutting some thread into it to make a late model plastic grill hook hold back thing for my ‘76. That diameter welding rod looks closer to the correct size I need. 

And your surround looks awesome. We need a 2002 repo for 3D print files. Do you (or @Steve76063) have your files posted anywhere like printables.com? 

Posted here!

CULTS3D.COM

BMW 2002 SHIFT SURROUND LONG CONSOLE- This is the shift surround for a BMW e10 2002 long console...

The rod I used was a Home Depot purchase. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Highnote1 said:

Nicely done!
What are you going to use to paint & texture?

I was thinking about doing similar and integrating a gasp cup holder.

This is a prototype that 'hooked" underneath the existing console. I don't think 2 cups is practical, cuz ebrake.

(as I mentioned in another thread - I want a cup holder for long trips, not for spirited driving)

2D574C55-5EDF-4C0B-A3A8-2BEA3B7E6C5D_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.a942e8995f4e71a9dce6f153b1855d5a.jpeg

• Like 1

1976 2002 - Segundo

Segundo blog

2 hours ago, JQ02 said:

Nicely done!
What are you going to use to paint & texture?

I was thinking about doing similar and integrating a gasp cup holder.

This is a prototype that 'hooked" underneath the existing console. I don't think 2 cups is practical, cuz ebrake.

(as I mentioned in another thread - I want a cup holder for long trips, not for spirited driving)

2D574C55-5EDF-4C0B-A3A8-2BEA3B7E6C5D_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.a942e8995f4e71a9dce6f153b1855d5a.jpeg

I just use sem clear rock chip spray and then sem satin black. That’s my go to. Like it a lot. 

Edited by Highnote1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I spent most of today installing the first 2 carpet pieces.  I bought this World Upholstery kit from a FAQ member for my Mintgrun car years ago.  Sold the car, but kept the carpet.  It is trimmed a little differently than the Esty kits, but used the writeup on the FAQ to figure out how to install it.  Unlike the Esty kit, it doesn't come with holes cut for the brake lever and gear shift.  It was a little nerve racking to make those cuts after taking a few measurements.  I glued in the rear seat kick panel and then started on the center piece.  I test fit the center piece a bunch of times until the holes seemed right and made a few relief cuts for the gas pedal and fat part of the tunnel.

After it seemed to be sitting flat and the contours correct I decided to start at the back and work my way to the front.  I glued the top of the center panel from the back to the end of the brake handle and got that section sitting nice.  Then I pulled up the sides from the back to the back edge of the seat support and glued that down.  While I waiting for the glue to dry, I found the holes for the seat belt receivers with a nail and made some "X"'s for the bolts.

I did the next top section to the gear shift lever and ran out of glue, so I couldn't do the sides in that area. When I get that center piece all glued up, I'll install the center console to get it out of the way.

Mark92131

IMG_4365.JPG

IMG_4366.JPG

IMG_4367.JPG

• Like 5

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

2 hours ago, Mark92131 said:

I spent most of today installing the first 2 carpet pieces.  I bought this World Upholstery kit from a FAQ member for my Mintgrun car years ago.  Sold the car, but kept the carpet.  It is trimmed a little differently than the Esty kits, but used the writeup on the FAQ to figure out how to install it.  Unlike the Esty kit, it doesn't come with holes cut for the brake lever and gear shift.  It was a little nerve racking to make those cuts after taking a few measurements.  I glued in the rear seat kick panel and then started on the center piece.  I test fit the center piece a bunch of times until the holes seemed right and made a few relief cuts for the gas pedal and fat part of the tunnel.

After it seemed to be sitting flat and the contours correct I decided to start at the back and work my way to the front.  I glued the top of the center panel from the back to the end of the brake handle and got that section sitting nice.  Then I pulled up the sides from the back to the back edge of the seat support and glued that down.  While I waiting for the glue to dry, I found the holes for the seat belt receivers with a nail and made some "X"'s for the bolts.

I did the next top section to the gear shift lever and ran out of glue, so I couldn't do the sides in that area. When I get that center piece all glued up, I'll install the center console to get it out of the way.

Mark92131

IMG_4365.JPG

IMG_4366.JPG

IMG_4367.JPG

not an easy job. Did mine with the Etsy kit earlier this year.