• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

@Lucky 7, I keep staring at your pics and noticing new things. Lots of great details. Looks awesome. You’ve inspired me to have a go at making my own carpet. Have you had to adjust the machine tension or do any other maintenance on it over those 7 months? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, popovm said:

@Lucky 7, I keep staring at your pics and noticing new things. Lots of great details. Looks awesome. You’ve inspired me to have a go at making my own carpet. Have you had to adjust the machine tension or do any other maintenance on it over those 7 months? 

Thanks, I appreciate you saying!  

I didn’t have any machine maintenance since I started upholstering. I was adjusting tension constantly based on material thickness, but never anything outside of the standard knobs.  I definitely babied the machine, especially with thicker/tougher materials. The alcantara and leather were tough customers, so I did a lot of hand advancing when working with those materials. Even though it’s thick, carpet is mostly air so I actually found it to be pretty easy to sew. Much less binding than some of the other fabrics. 

The carpet is definitely on my list for a DIY write up like I did for the under dash panels and headliner.  I’ll try to write that up soon.  I couldn’t find much online about doing it yourself, so I fumbled around in the dark a bit.  Perhaps I could save you some fumbling. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lucky 7 said:

Thanks, I appreciate you saying!  

I didn’t have any machine maintenance since I started upholstering. I was adjusting tension constantly based on material thickness, but never anything outside of the standard knobs.  I definitely babied the machine, especially with thicker/tougher materials. The alcantara and leather were tough customers, so I did a lot of hand advancing when working with those materials. Even though it’s thick, carpet is mostly air so I actually found it to be pretty easy to sew. Much less binding than some of the other fabrics. 

The carpet is definitely on my list for a DIY write up like I did for the under dash panels and headliner.  I’ll try to write that up soon.  I couldn’t find much online about doing it yourself, so I fumbled around in the dark a bit.  Perhaps I could save you some fumbling. 

Man, thanks for all the write ups you’ve done already. A carpet writeup would be amazing too. 

On 7/9/2024 at 7:10 AM, NMDerek said:

more baby steps

IMG_1483.JPG.47c58f2023388f314611520dca24dd3a.JPG

Just looked at my photos and this was from March 2023 and car is still a long way from getting on the road.  Damn...

IMG_1625.jpg

• Like 4

Looking for more projects while my daughter sews my headliner.  Today I installed the MVP trim for the "B" pillar and Quarter window seals.  Not a hard job, but very satisfying results.  When I removed the original trim the "B" pillar pieces were screwed in with some 3.2 x 6mm screws.  I think the later cars used rivets for this piece, so the new pieces got 3.2 rivets.  The MVP horizontal window seal piece has larger holes than the OEM piece, so I ended up using 4.0 rivets in those.  I used some of the leftover Butyl Mastic tape from the gas tank installation to keep the water out.

The MVP fit and finish of these parts is very good, there are some slight differences that a Concours judge would catch, but my original pieces were pretty bad.

Mark92131

IMG_4370.JPG

IMG_4372.JPG

IMG_4371.JPG

• Like 6

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

Your car looks great. I love the colour. You are inspiring others like me who are following in your path. 

I have bought everything for my car. The MVP stuff can be great and then not so great. Don’t buy one of their new early version grilles until they have sorted them out. The one I got I will not use. My supplier is fabulous and they are taking it back. Great guys to deal with. 

2 hours ago, visionaut said:

Sunroof car, Nick. The elephant trunks are supposed to be sealed off (originally foam). My foam died - so covers…

My '67 sunroof car rear drain tubes exit through that spot (not implying my car is correct)...just curious where your drains exit ?

IMG_20240718_132605163.jpg

23 minutes ago, 68gretchen said:

My '67 sunroof car rear drain tubes exit through that spot (not implying my car is correct)...just curious where your drains exit ?

IMG_20240718_132605163.jpg

I believe the #13s go down the A-pillar and the #12s go down the C-pillar..

I don’t think #12 is long enough to reach those trunk vents.

IMG_3774.jpeg

Edited by visionaut

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

Well now this is interesting. I smell….lesson to be learned here. 

The factory parts books are diagrammatical. Not everything is shown exactly. I would have expected those drain tubes to discharge at the lowest point in the car like a wheel well perhaps. 

6 minutes ago, Clem Simmons said:

I would have expected those drain tubes to discharge at the lowest point in the car like a wheel well perhaps

Yep, that’s where the lower ends go… ( I think)

I can see the ends of my #13 in the front wells. I haven’t checked my #12s…

Edited by visionaut
  • Like 1

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com