• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

The sunroof rear drains were routed into, not through, the rocker panel greatly increasing the rust factor, most do reroute them to go out the wheel well or just behind it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

On closer inspection (where the rear tubes now exit) the rubber that it passes through appears to be homemade, although they look quite old. Either way, whoever rerouted them help save the rockers as they are intact and original.

• Like 3

Pulled rear subframe to install a 2002 underground subframe. I was surprised it only adds about half a pound despite looking much stronger. The medium case rear diff is 22lbs heavier than the small case it’s replacing. 

IMG_9609.jpeg

IMG_9610.jpeg

• Like 4

6 hours ago, 68gretchen said:

Interesting...I searched everywhere for another exit hole for the rears but couldn't find one so assumed mine were correct.

This is where the fronts exit (just below the lower door hinge).

IMG_20240718_134618477.jpg

And on most modell 71 cars, the front drains exit in the front wheel well…

IMG_3518.jpeg

IMG_3520.jpeg

IMG_3519.jpeg

John

1973 Nevada 2002 - 2023 CCA Classic Car Raffle car

Other - 2022 V60CC, 2014 B8.5 S4, 2003 TJ

Past - 1996 318ti, 1999 323i, 2004 X3 (with 6-spd manual), 2007 328i (spt pkg), 2015 XC70, and a whole mess of GTIs in the old days.

I drove and enjoyed the hell out of my 2002 today.

But here's why that's not a routine thing. I've been struggling to get my throttle pedal and linkage setup sorted out for awhile now.

My car is EFI converted, running Jenvey ITBs, and a cable-pull throttle setup.

The linkage I original used was Jenvey's "underslung" linkage, which runs the cable beneath the ITBs to the linkage. My cable routing was a bit circuitous, and over time the pedal feel had gotten hard and notchy feeling. Very tough to modulate the throttle. And I didn't realize it, but I my throttle lever arm and rod had slipped out of adjustment and I wasn't getting WOT.

So I sorted out the pedal box with new bushings, a new rod (from Blunt), a tii pedal (from Walloth Nesch), and a tii pedal stop (from 2002sOnly), then installed a new top-mount linkage and cable.

Pedal travel almost perfectly matched the pull to WOT. I added a small cushion to the pedal stop to raise it up to meet the pedal.

The end result is a butter smooth pedal with quick, easy access to WOT. The car feels freaky now. Like much faster. I wonder how long I have been missing WOT???

I'm super stoked for the next autocross. Ready to kick butt & take names.

linkage1.jpg

linkage2.jpg

linkage3.jpg

• Like 5

Hey, so the car is making 130 whp on a stingy dyno. The engine is 9.5:1, 292 cam. I could use more compression and more cam to take better advantage of the Jenvey's.

I run Heritage Classic Street at local events, and I'm signed up for F Street Prepared at Solo Nationals. Should be a hoot!

• Like 2

@d.hitchcock I’m running the Jenvey heritage throttle bodies and it dynoed at 140 at the wheels. Don’t know the exact specs as it was built by the PO, but I think it’s running a Schrick 304 cam and 10:1 positions. So your hp is probably about right. What ecu are you running? Nice looking build.

• Like 2

Thanks! Yep, a little more cam, and a little more compression would help my engine. Electromotive TECs ecu.

How about you? What ECU are you using?

Also, do you have a cam position sensor in your setup?

@d.hitchcock Running a Haltech ECU. Great ECU with so much more capability than what I’m using it for. No cam position sensor. I was thinking about it, but doesn’t seem to need it. Although it’s tough on cold starting. Needs some throttle input until warm. Probably some ECU settings that still need to be dialed in. Using the 2002sonly side draft linkage too.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, pd_55 said:

@d.hitchcock Running a Haltech ECU. Great ECU with so much more capability than what I’m using it for. No cam position sensor. I was thinking about it, but doesn’t seem to need it. Although it’s tough on cold starting. Needs some throttle input until warm. Probably some ECU settings that still need to be dialed in. Using the 2002sonly side draft linkage too.

The Haltech 1500 can control DBW.  Throttle is like one of these 50mm throttles with integral dual tps sensors for reliability  Bosch 0280750150. Bosch 0280750151 is bigger with a 60 mm bore..   CAN AM off-road machines use these.  The one pictured is off a CAN AM Mustang and cost less than $50 used.  A pedal from an Infinity G37 fits in and is the right angle, and can be had for less than $20 total including taxes.

Get rid of all those cables, linkages.  Have idle control integrated and add cruise control.

20240720_065653.jpg

20240720_065707.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.