• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

6 minutes ago, JKKH said:

I'm a fan of using my phone for nav and have struggled to find a good solution for holding my phone.  Splurged on the @Toxin Speed phone mount and installed today.  Ridiculously high quality for a phone mount and integrates beautifully.  Very quick shipping, beautifully made of aluminum (base, arms and ball joint), and lined with a thin 3m foam pad to protect the dash surface.  Very, very nice...if not inexpensive.  Perhaps overkill, but looks great and works better.

IMG_3560.jpeg

IMG_3561.jpeg

IMG_3575.jpeg

IMG_3565.jpeg

IMG_3574.jpeg

IMG_3572.jpeg

that does look great! 

• Like 2

Getting closer to completing the carpet installation.  All the major pieces are glued in, all that remains are the two front pieces.  I will need to trim the passenger side front panel to fit it around the Deutsch connector for the motor electricals.  The driver's side front panel needs the holes for the gas pedal nubs, but seems to sit nicely.  I test fit the shorty console with the one piece dash, pretty tight fit.  While I was wrestling it in, one of the wires pulled loose from the gauge lighting and forgot to install it with the console floor in place, so it needs to come out again before I screw it down.

After that, I need to glue down the vinyl strips on the front and rear seat supports and the front kick panels.  Picking up my new headliner on Friday.

Mark92131

IMG_4383.JPG

• Like 5

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

3 hours ago, JKKH said:

Very, very nice...if not inexpensive

Fits the bill for what I've been searching for... a simple phone holder. No radio in the 74, not cutting holes if I can help it. Music via Bluetooth to a portable speaker for Pandora or files. It's amazing, the sound out of the newer portable speakers today. Speaker in a holder at center of rear seat, phone in the cradle, off and rolling. 

• Like 6

Hacker of many things... master of none.

Gunther March 19, 1974. Hoffman Motors march 22 1974 NYC

18 minutes ago, OldRoller said:

Fits the bill for what I've been searching for... a simple phone holder. No radio in the 74, not cutting holes if I can help it. Music via Bluetooth to a portable speaker for Pandora or files. It's amazing, the sound out of the newer portable speakers today. Speaker in a holder at center of rear seat, phone in the cradle, off and rolling. 

Bingo!

John

1973 Nevada 2002 - 2023 CCA Classic Car Raffle car

Other - 2022 V60CC, 2014 B8.5 S4, 2003 TJ

Past - 1996 318ti, 1999 323i, 2004 X3 (with 6-spd manual), 2007 328i (spt pkg), 2015 XC70, and a whole mess of GTIs in the old days.

6 hours ago, OldRoller said:

Yeah and the way it pivots is great for google maps directions, I’m leaning towards this kind of setup for music and nav in my car rather than putting all the wires and bits back in, you could run a nice console and gauges and not have all the spaghetti from the radio and amp… not an audiophile as one ear is buggered from a youth of boxing🙄

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, 2002iii said:

Do you guys not realize you can buy a similar cellphone mount on amazon for under $20?

Do you have one you like of decent quality?  I've only managed a few failures on Amazon (so was glad to see someone actually has the Toxin mount and can provide feedback).  

• Like 1

Would love to try an Amazon style one, but Toxin is the only one that mounts without drilling or using adhesive that tears up the dash. I even tried to make a Rennline one work, but no luck. May have to break down and go Toxin.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, 2002iii said:

you can buy a similar cellphone mount on amazon for under $20?

I looked at every Amazon listing...they either clip to dash vents (have none), suction to windshield (dash cam already there), suction to dash (unreliable hold), sit in cupholder (have none), or offer poor articulation. 

I bought an Amazon unit with extendable arm and fair articulation with a suction mount, cut the mount off and made a receiver for a socket style mount, but the bottom arm was not strong enough to support the modification. Plastic just doesn't hold up well. 

Haven't given up yet, still on the hunt!

• Like 2

Hacker of many things... master of none.

Gunther March 19, 1974. Hoffman Motors march 22 1974 NYC

1 hour ago, 2002iii said:

Do you guys not realize you can buy a similar cellphone mount on amazon for under $20?

I tried several, and they either need tape, glue (I have a crack-free dash and just can’t do it), or need a place to clip that doesn’t exist.  Plus they are all flimsy and cheap.  I would love a cheaper option, but for the fit, finish, and quality, Toxin is in a league of one.  I’m with old roller on streaming to a BT speaker, so the phone mount is basically my “stereo” budget!  From that angle, it’s cheap!

John

Past - 1996 318ti, 1999 323i, 2004 X3 (with 6-spd manual), 2007 328i (spt pkg), 2015 XC70, and a whole mess of GTIs in the old days.

1 hour ago, OldRoller said:

I looked at every Amazon listing...they either clip to dash vents (have none), suction to windshield (dash cam already there), suction to dash (unreliable hold), sit in cupholder (have none), or offer poor articulation. 

I bought an Amazon unit with extendable arm and fair articulation with a suction mount, cut the mount off and made a receiver for a socket style mount, but the bottom arm was not strong enough to support the modification. Plastic just doesn't hold up well. 

Haven't given up yet, still on the hunt!

Ditto.  Then I broke down and pulled the plastic.  Of course, that’s an easier bill to stomach when I won the car!

John

1 hour ago, Dave919 said:

(so was glad to see someone actually has the Toxin mount and can provide feedback)

Let me know if you want different/better pics or vids! 

• Thanks 1

John

3 hours ago, Dave919 said:

Do you have one you like of decent quality?  I've only managed a few failures on Amazon (so was glad to see someone actually has the Toxin mount and can provide feedback).  

Or  just mount it in the ashtray for free!