• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

1 minute ago, visionaut said:

Clem, you might want better filters for your DCOEs.

Those pancake filters don’t provide enough space in front of the carb mouth for good breathing, and don’t fit stubby stacks under them well (you should always run an airhorn of some length). And unless you want to hone your cylinders as you drive, keep those ‘wide screened’ airhorns for car shows…

Tom

I use these filters for my stacks.  Basically a 2 part mesh:

WWW.BBRAIRFILTERS.COM

BBR Filters - We design and build custom velocity stack filters. Our racing and street proven filters are made to maximum airflow for pure performance. Contact us today to start your build!

It's not going to be as effective as foam, but I don't really live in a dusty area, and I don't drive the car often enough to worry about prolonged engine damage.

Famous last words...

• Like 2

Engine bay OCD is a real problem

@02carbs 

Tom

thanks for your advise. I bought the Webers as an assembled package from Korman’s and they installed the K&N’s. 

Once they are in the car I will play around with options and see what can work best. The battery will be in the trunk. 

I bought the air horns in California to put on for some car shows just to impress the young lads.   I have finer snap on screen filters but nothing yet to snap them onto yet. 

clem

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leucadian said:

I use these filters for my stacks.  Basically a 2 part mesh…

It's not going to be as effective as foam, but I don't really live in a dusty area, and I don't drive the car often enough to worry about prolonged engine damage.

Famous last words...

I’ve been running Bill’s BBR screens for more than a dozen years. I was one of the folks that asked him for the new taller/wider style.  It’s a 3 layer screen, good down to .009”?, with a snug grip around the outside lip of the airhorn bellmouth..  The outer screens are structural, the middle one is the ultra-fine mesh.

I switch between them and per-carb larger foam filters (ITG/Pipercross) based upon driving conditions.

Tom

Edited by visionaut
Lol airhorn, not airborne - thx autocorrect
  • Like 2

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

Tom

I hear you. I will definitely do more homework and checking. I like having options too. 

I am going to be going to engine university in the months ahead. My low mileage engine has been sitting for many years (sorry too many cars and not enough time). I will be taking it totally apart and will hire expert help to protect me from my own stupidity.  I need to know enough to understand what I am being told and also to know when I am being handed a load. 

In some cases I know enough to get into trouble but not enough to get out of it. When I drove the car I over maintained it so I am expecting to find old oil that is like honey and expect to see little to no wear.

Hows that for a prediction!? 

clem 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/23/2024 at 8:02 AM, JKKH said:

I tried several, and they either need tape, glue (I have a crack-free dash and just can’t do it), or need a place to clip that doesn’t exist.  Plus they are all flimsy and cheap.  I would love a cheaper option, but for the fit, finish, and quality, Toxin is in a league of one.  I’m with old roller on streaming to a BT speaker, so the phone mount is basically my “stereo” budget!  From that angle, it’s cheap!

Holder-Rotation-Dashboard-Suitable-Smartphones

Edited by 2002iii
  • Thanks 1

Yesterday I trimmed and glued the vinyl finishing covers on my carpet kit.  Today I trimmed and installed the front footwell pieces on the driver and passenger sides, completing the installation.  If you installed the rubber pedal box cover, make sure you trim the opening for the gas pedal lever before you install the carpet.  Mine was binding the lever at WOT.  Installed new pedal pads for the brake and clutch and called it done!  Turned out pretty good for a rank amateur!

For people considering the World Upholstery carpet kit here are my thoughts.  The carpet color on mine is apparently no longer available.  The pieces are well constructed with vinyl edge binding and finishing vinyl throughout.  My carpet did not have pre-cut holes for the shift lever and emergency brake.  Fitting the side rocker and center pieces required relief cuts to get it to sit flat.  The 2 front footwell pieces were cut and sewn to support the contours above the pedal box and on the passenger side.  It doesn't come with any detailed installation instructions, so I did a lot of fitting and refitting to guess how things should fit, (around the seat supports).  If I was doing it again, I would likely use an Esty carpet kit, the installation is easier (less pieces) and the quality seems comparable.

On to the Headliner!

IMHO,

Mark92131

IMG_4391.JPG

IMG_4395.JPG

IMG_4396.JPG

IMG_4394.JPG

• Like 17

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

5 minutes ago, Mark92131 said:

Yesterday I trimmed and glued the vinyl finishing covers on my carpet kit.  Today I trimmed and installed the front footwell pieces on the driver and passenger sides, completing the installation.  If you installed the rubber pedal box cover, make sure you trim the opening for the gas pedal lever before you install the carpet.  Mine was binding the lever at WOT.  Installed new pedal pads for the brake and clutch and called it done!  Turned out pretty good for a rank amateur!

For people considering the World Upholstery carpet kit here are my thoughts.  The carpet color on mine is apparently no longer available.  The pieces are well constructed with vinyl edge binding and finishing vinyl throughout.  My carpet did not have pre-cut holes for the shift lever and emergency brake.  Fitting the side rocker and center pieces required relief cuts to get it to sit flat.  The 2 front footwell pieces were cut and sewn to support the contours above the pedal box and on the passenger side.  It doesn't come with any detailed installation instructions, so I did a lot of fitting and refitting to guess how things should fit, (around the seat supports).  If I was doing it again, I would likely use an Esty carpet kit, the installation is easier (less pieces) and the quality seems comparable.

On to the Headliner!

IMHO,

Mark92131

IMG_4391.JPG

IMG_4395.JPG

IMG_4396.JPG

IMG_4394.JPG

looks great! Really tough job. I did mine earlier this year with the Etsy carpet. well worth the effort though.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, 2002iii said:

Thanks.  I tried that one and it didn’t hold for me-too loose and floppy.    Other problem for me was it only fit on gauge hood, right in my line of sight, and behind steering wheel.  Hope it works for others needs though - it’s a benjamin cheaper!!

John

1973 Nevada 2002 - 2023 CCA Classic Car Raffle car

Other - 2022 V60CC, 2014 B8.5 S4, 2003 TJ

Past - 1996 318ti, 1999 323i, 2004 X3 (with 6-spd manual), 2007 328i (spt pkg), 2015 XC70, and a whole mess of GTIs in the old days.

5 hours ago, Mark92131 said:

On to the Headliner!

IMHO,

Mark92131

IMG_4391.JPG

IMG_4395.JPG

IMG_4396.JPG

IMG_4394.JPG

Coming together beautifully!

• Like 1

John

1973 Nevada 2002 - 2023 CCA Classic Car Raffle car

Other - 2022 V60CC, 2014 B8.5 S4, 2003 TJ

Past - 1996 318ti, 1999 323i, 2004 X3 (with 6-spd manual), 2007 328i (spt pkg), 2015 XC70, and a whole mess of GTIs in the old days.

10 hours ago, Leucadian said:

Clem, you might want better filters for your DCOEs.

More than that you need to loose the antivibration mounts. 

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

8 hours ago, Mark92131 said:

On to the Headliner!

IMHO,

Mark92131

IMG_4391.JPG

IMG_4395.JPG

IMG_4396.JPG

IMG_4394.JPG

Looking really nice. I think that is the color my carpet is supposed to be.

• Like 1

Project: 1974 BMW 2002 tii Malaga

Daily: 2006 BMW 330Ci

finished 260 rebuild with no leftover or missing parts afaik!

reassembly is pretty easy if you're willing to drill holes in your table top to pass shaft ends

IMG_1488.thumb.jpeg.a6ddc7840201031bf33a8775012ca77c.jpeg

IMG_1489.thumb.jpeg.f00dbbc80d1bcdc395dce0b5a561a002.jpeg

one of hardest steps was pulling on the input shaft to fully seat it in the case bearing so that the last snap ring will go on. made a shaft puller out of two 1.5" pipe flanges, 1.25" adapter, 1/2" bolts and a 25mm double split collar. bottom flange contacts inner race spacer; top flange is threaded for bolts to press up the collar, which goes around the shaft narrow. needed around 20 ft lbs on the bolts.

IMG_1505.thumb.jpeg.77ff7e77a5c3a9b383894b3bea9b8495.jpeg

IMG_1504.thumb.jpeg.1c14a41ddc3eaa99c0b6366a2cb74394.jpeg

so this job needs a diy shaft pushing adapter and a shaft puller:

IMG_1507.thumb.jpeg.8cea5b2bb63227f906262ff17ffa58b3.jpeg

Edited by Howardpowered
fix picture order yo
  • Like 14