• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

45 minutes ago, d.hitchcock said:

Got 100TW rubber mounted up for SCCA Solo Nationals.

I'm running in a "Hoosier class," F Street Prepared. Registering for Nationals was a last-minute thing, and I've been hustling to get a wheel/tire setup together. Couldn't find any Hoosiers that would fit a non-flared 02, so I went Toyo's R888R. *shrug*

Basically, I'm going into this to have fun, and being at a competitive disadvantage due to tires isn't that big of a deal for me. And, hey! If I beat ANYBODY it'll be a major victory. 🙂

Had to do a bit of rolling on the rear inner lips to accommodate the new stuff. Now I need to get my FSP class letters, and maybe a lightweight battery.

BWAsportstars1.jpg

BWAsportstars2.jpg

BWAsportstars3.jpg

Great to see someone doing this with an 02! More pics and let us know the results!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, d.hitchcock said:

Basically, I'm going into this to have fun, and being at a competitive disadvantage due to tires isn't that big of a deal for me. And, hey! If I beat ANYBODY it'll be a major victory. 🙂

I hope you have major fun and finish higher than you expect!

I haven't autocrossed a 2002 since 1988!

• Like 2

1976 2002 - Segundo

1936 Ford pickup hotrod, 2010 Honda Ridgeline

Segundo blog

Paoli (PA) Car Show - Oct 5, 2024

Thanks all! I'll take pictures and, if I can get it together, in-car footage from my runs in Lincoln.

I also will try to post advance information with links to live-streamed announcers and real-time results. I run on Thursday/Friday, Sept. 5/6. Not sure which heat.

• Like 2

Anacortes OGs!

IMG_7057.thumb.jpeg.6ed70d24849ee3e0b5cab6813b6bff10.jpeg

Zouave is moldering in a Florida garage, so I didn’t do anything with my 2002 today, as I am enjoying pleasant PNW weather in Bellingham.  

I am staying in Fairhaven WA for a few weeks, and since I like to bracket my cars ‘n coffee experiences with a continent in between them when possible, I threw out an invitation this week to local faq members.  In response, these three staunch faqers — all from Anacortes — campaigned up Chuckanut Drive to Fairhaven today, where we met in the parking lot of a defunct diner for coffee and donuts.  Great opportunity to meet some great peeps, see some very creditable 02 builds, hear some good stories and trade tips.

Shout out (in order) to Stu, veronatii and wheelieking. Hope to see you fellows again soon, and I look forward to mimicking veronatii’s build for my next 02. What a hoss!IMG_7054.thumb.jpeg.450b91a5013e22c121f9e6500f04309e.jpeg

We were also joined by a member of the e9 forum, Dick Steinkamp, whose e3 was the most impressive ride of all (over wheelieking’s shoulder). Sorry the photo’s not better — as nice an e3 as I have seen.IMG_7053.thumb.jpeg.269832924e69aefbcea2624b1067af26.jpeg

• Like 3

‘74 Fjord 2002tii (Zouave)

’80 Alpenweiss 528i (Evelyn)

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

‘56 Savage Model 99 in .250-3000

On 7/24/2024 at 12:38 PM, Clem Simmons said:

Further to the discussion on steering wheels. I searched hard to find an original NOS Alpina wheel but had to settle for this Prototipo MOMO wheel …. 35cm. 

The other photo is of what I believe is a period correct Alpina wheel which were likely made for them by Momo. 

IMG_6992.jpeg

IMG_0929.jpeg

With all the beautiful steering wheels being presented it gave me momentum to finally install my Nardi from June of 1979. Almost completely refinished, needs a couple more coats.

Nardiwheel.thumb.jpg.b460f66624b6f3c58d0240bd6329f53a.jpg

And I found the bronze washer I had lost for the bolt at 7 o'clock....

• Like 8

Hacker of many things... master of none.

Gunther March 19, 1974. Hoffman Motors march 22 1974 NYC

1 hour ago, T002mobile said:

Are you a Florida native ? I’m over in Fortlauderdale I’d love to meet some fellow 2002’ers 

Sarasota resident, Texas native. There are half a dozen vintage enthusiasts in and around SRQ, some seasonal.  We talk about touring around S Florida but mainly end up at the monthly C&C at the Sarasota BMW dealership.  One place in the middle that might be interesting for touring and meeting is Sebring.  Maybe around a Hagerty event?   Those get you on the track!

‘74 Fjord 2002tii (Zouave)

’80 Alpenweiss 528i (Evelyn)

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

‘56 Savage Model 99 in .250-3000

1 hour ago, 0257 said:

Sarasota resident, Texas native. There are half a dozen vintage enthusiasts in and around SRQ, some seasonal.  We talk about touring around S Florida but mainly end up at the monthly C&C at the Sarasota BMW dealership.  One place in the middle that might be interesting for touring and meeting is Sebring.  Maybe around a Hagerty event?   Those get you on the track!

Very cool ! I like the sound of that, I’m working to be track ready by next spring. I’ll be sure to reach out as my car becomes more drivable. The idea of  a tour de Florida would be awesome 

• Like 1

Welp, had the car for a little over a year now.  After sorting out a weird carburetor problem (seems the PO had installed the wrong float?) I finally got the old sealed beam headlamps replaced with reflectors/halogen bulbs/relays, what a difference that made. 

After that was done I realized I hadn’t washed the car in a year so… I did that.

To wrap it up, today I learned that there are multiple sizes of cigarette lighters for 2002s, and I am now the proud owner of one that is slightly too big for my car. Ah well, something for the “random spare parts” bin. 

Brad

IMG_4869.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

With the carpet installed it was on to the headliner.  As you may remember, while installing my NOS vinyl headliner, the old glue split at the #5 bow seam while trying to tension it at the rear carboard attachment (no sunroof).  So I met my oldest daughter (costume designer) for lunch and asked her to sew all the seams.  While this was in production, I kept going back to the DIY headliner post by @Lucky 7 and admiring how nice his headliner turned out.  So I e-mailed the pattern to my daughter as asked her if she could make me a custom one.  She said sure, so I order 3 yards of Synergy Suede II in Platinum from A-1 Foam & Fabric and brought it to her while picking up the original (now sewn) headliner.

I picked it up on Friday, cut 4" reliefs for the headliner bows and today started the process of hanging it in the car.  I wanted the "C" pillars to be a little extra puffy, so I added another 1/4" foam to the foam that was already installed there.  I also removed the cardboard piece for securing the headliner at the rear window, which cracked in two pieces, (no going back now).  Started with Bow #3, secured it in the upright position with a zip tie connected to an anchor on the roof.  I installed bows #4 & #5 at the back of the car without zip ties because tensioning the material keeps those bows upright anyway.  I installed bows #2 & #1 at the front of the car sans zip ties as well.

Now comes the fun part, stretching it out and securing it with 1" binder clips.  I did the back window first, then the sides, then the front widow, then the "C" pillars last.  After working with the OEM Vinyl headliner, the Synergy Suede was a breeze.  A slight tug here and there and the wrinkles disappear.  I haven't done any trimming or relief cuts yet and the headliner looks really good.  I'll work on that tomorrow.

Mark92131

IMG_4399.JPG

IMG_4411.JPG

IMG_4408.JPG

IMG_4400.JPG

• Like 9

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

5 minutes ago, BW_2002 said:

Welp, had the car for a little over a year now.  After sorting out a weird carburetor problem (seems the PO had installed the wrong float?) I finally got the old sealed beam headlamps replaced with reflectors/halogen bulbs/relays, what a difference that made. 

After that was done I realized I hadn’t washed the car in a year so… I did that.

To wrap it up, today I learned that there are multiple sizes of cigarette lighters for 2002s, and I am now the proud owner of one that is slightly too big for my car. Ah well, something for the “random spare parts” bin. 

Brad

IMG_4869.jpeg

Gorgeous!!  Is that beauty a '73 in Nevada?

John

1973 Nevada 2002 - 2023 CCA Classic Car Raffle car

Other - 2022 V60CC, 2014 B8.5 S4, 2003 TJ

Past - 1996 318ti, 1999 323i, 2004 X3 (with 6-spd manual), 2007 328i (spt pkg), 2015 XC70, and a whole mess of GTIs in the old days.

18 hours ago, BW_2002 said:

Close!  She’s a 1971.

Love it!  We’re twinning, though mine's a Nevada ‘73. 

IMG_3426.jpeg

Edited by JKKH
  • Like 4

John

1973 Nevada 2002 - 2023 CCA Classic Car Raffle car

Other - 2022 V60CC, 2014 B8.5 S4, 2003 TJ

Past - 1996 318ti, 1999 323i, 2004 X3 (with 6-spd manual), 2007 328i (spt pkg), 2015 XC70, and a whole mess of GTIs in the old days.

4 hours ago, Mark92131 said:

With the carpet installed it was on to the headliner.  As you may remember, while installing my NOS vinyl headliner, the old glue split at the #5 bow seam while trying to tension it at the rear carboard attachment (no sunroof).  So I met my oldest daughter (costume designer) for lunch and asked her to sew all the seams.  While this was in production, I kept going back to the DIY headliner post by @Lucky 7 and admiring how nice his headliner turned out.  So I e-mailed the pattern to my daughter as asked her if she could make me a custom one.  She said sure, so I order 3 yards of Synergy Suede II in Platinum from A-1 Foam & Fabric and brought it to her while picking up the original (now sewn) headliner.

I picked it up on Friday, cut 4" reliefs for the headliner bows and today started the process of hanging it in the car.  I wanted the "C" pillars to be a little extra puffy, so I added another 1/4" foam to the foam that was already installed there.  I also removed the cardboard piece for securing the headliner at the rear window, which cracked in two pieces, (no going back now).  Started with Bow #3, secured it in the upright position with a zip tie connected to an anchor on the roof.  I installed bows #4 & #5 at the back of the car without zip ties because tensioning the material keeps those bows upright anyway.  I installed bows #2 & #1 at the front of the car sans zip ties as well.

Now comes the fun part, stretching it out and securing it with 1" binder clips.  I did the back window first, then the sides, then the front widow, then the "C" pillars last.  After working with the OEM Vinyl headliner, the Synergy Suede was a breeze.  A slight tug here and there and the wrinkles disappear.  I haven't done any trimming or relief cuts yet and the headliner looks really good.  I'll work on that tomorrow.

Mark92131

IMG_4399.JPG

IMG_4411.JPG

IMG_4408.JPG

IMG_4400.JPG

Looks awesome!  Fun to see somebody using my template, thanks for sharing. The platinum looks great, goes nicely with that carpet you installed. Great work all around.