• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

After hours of connecting and testing, the car fired up! We just installed a MSD6201 on a 1975 2002 BMW. The difference is like night and day. It fires right up it responds to the gas pedal beautifully and it burns the gas nicely. The engine idles nicely while the a/c is on.

IMG_3936.jpeg

IMG_1346.jpeg

• Like 7

I got enough courage to pull the front windshield clips off and trim the excess material.  Holding firm!  Then I cut out black vinyl covering pieces for the "A" and "B" pillars using the original pieces I saved when I stripped the car.  There was an extra long original piece I couldn't remember where it was suppose to go, but finally figured out that it sits between the rear window and the parcel shelf.  I was lucky to have just enough vinyl left to make this piece as well.

Originally I had added 1/4 foam to the "A" and "B" pillars to give it some padding.  I glued in one of the "B" pillar vinyl pieces and didn't like the look (too poofy).  The vinyl I was using was thicker than the OEM pieces, so no need for padding.  I pulled it off, removed the 1/4" foam on all the pillars and reinstalled it.  Both the "B" pillars look great.

The "A" pillars were a little more difficult because the 1 piece dash in this car sits very tight on the driver's side and prevents the vinyl from sliding between the dash and the seam for the U-channel trim.  The passenger side when in easy, the driver's side not so much.  I ended up wedging it in place at the bottom, to hold it in place and then applying the glue to install it.

The rear window finishing vinyl when in and job done.  Lots left to do!

Mark92131

IMG_4433.JPG

IMG_4434.JPG

IMG_4435.JPG

• Like 6

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

After only 51 years, it was time to replace the original rubber seal that's pressed into the underside of the hood's trailing edge.  Its job is to prevent engine fumes from entering the heater plenum chamber.  Mine was surprisingly supple, not all cracked and rotted, but was showing its age.  The new one (from Blunt) has been riding around in my trunk since before Mid America so I decided it was time to install.

I didn't realize it's pressed into a narrow, U-shaped channel that's part of the inner hood bracing; always thought it was glued in place.  Learn something new every day. 

If you have to replace it, a bottle of dish soap is your friend.  Lubricate the bulb that forms the insert side of the seal, and press hard; it'll pop right in.  Twenty minute job (with the soap); another task completed.  Now on to the warped rotor and new front brake hoses...

mike

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

8 hours ago, Mike Self said:

fter only 51 years, it was time to replace the original rubber seal that's pressed into the underside of the hood's trailing edge.  Its job is to prevent engine fumes from entering the heater plenum chamber. 

When I put a new one in, it started to chafe the paint on the cowling.  So I installed a narrow strip of Xpel stone guard across the cowling where the seal contacts.

• Like 2

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Fought with this bastard for way too long. In my brain, plastic isn’t supposed to seize to metal but this thing didn’t want to come off. I was nervous about breaking the plastic tab on the grill with all the twisting I was doing but I managed to dodge that bullet. Put in an order for new hooks, washers and nuts from W&N. Oh and seatbelts, rear diff hanger bushings and the pedal box slotted foam pad thing for the inside of the car. Cause, ya know, you’re basically losing money if you don’t order a bunch of stuff in one order, right? 🤑 €20 off €200 right now, btw…

IMG_4275.jpeg

Edited by popovm
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, popovm said:

Fought with this bastard

Total bastards, some clown tried to cut mine when they did an accident repair, so bloody hard to get off if there’s anything wrong with the thread or they are even slightly cross threaded…. Mine are now at the bottom of the pacific somewhere…… don’t ask🙄

• Haha 2

On 8/6/2024 at 8:56 AM, jimk said:

When I put a new one in, it started to chafe the paint on the cowling. 

A thin coating of silicone grease on the rubber seal--rub it in real good--will help with chafing.  

mike

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

5 hours ago, SydneyTii said:

Total bastards, some clown tried to cut mine when they did an accident repair, so bloody hard to get off if there’s anything wrong with the thread or they are even slightly cross threaded…. Mine are now at the bottom of the pacific somewhere…… don’t ask🙄

Sent it to Davy Jones’ Locker!!!!

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, SydneyTii said:

lol! Next Olympic sport: 2002 grill retaining hardware ocean toss. Sounds like the Aussies will dominate. 

• Haha 3

When you reassemble the hooks rub some paraffin wax on the threads before you install the nut it'll make disassembly much easier. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

3 hours ago, Son of Marty said:

When you reassemble the hooks rub some paraffin wax on the threads before you install the nut it'll make disassembly much easier. 

Was wondering about that, thanks! I was thinking antiseize but wax sounds fun. 

Got stuck into my brake and clutch master cylinders. In RHD world these are unobtainium, so I was praying they'd be in good condition once I popped them open. First hurdle: the slave cylinder piston was stuck absolutely rock solid in the bore:

IMG_20240806_192112.thumb.jpg.f6233228ad723a697ac43bd37325f8ac.jpg

Thankfully the boys at BMW were kind enough to use the same thread pitch on seemingly every hydraulic fitting on this car, so the packet of M10x1 grease nipples I bought to free up my brake caliper pistons cane in handy again:

IMG_20240806_192142.thumb.jpg.71ff2ebfea458a4243e77c1221561d39.jpgIMG_20240806_192206.thumb.jpg.6f0444e5ccbe730a6a5a88da5ec6f23d.jpg

A bit of pumping (and a clamp to block off the inlet) and our shy friend popped out to say hello:

IMG_20240806_194807.thumb.jpg.60f9e465a104fd7ee10180061feefcc3.jpg

The brake master went similarly, though I had to get creative to block off all the various inlets and outlets to coax both pistons out:

IMG_20240807_125021.thumb.jpg.94b2a1966ff64ebea2b2f8198054935f.jpg

Happy to say that both cylinder bores look beautiful, absolutely no putting, no significant scratches, no damage at all. I reckon a couple of rebuild kits and they'll be like brand new.

• Like 9

Have the '74 Amazongrun automatic one owner in for clean-up now.  Shaving all the knee trim off and installing euro bumpers with the rear bumper license plate lights, etc.  Side markers gone.  Cleaning it all up for a five speed install as well. Lot's to do but getting there anyway.  Always wanted this color and I enjoy the squaretail's more when they are all cleaned up, excited for this one honestly.  Wheels are done, front subframe from a tii I had is refurbished and cleaned/painted with tii front struts and brakes, rear subframe is next......aiming for October launch!

IMG_3401.JPG

IMG_3400.JPG

IMG_3397.JPG

IMG_3396.JPG

IMG_3395.JPG

IMG_3393.JPG

IMG_9481.jpg

IMG_9480.jpg

IMG_9479.jpg

IMG_9478.jpg

IMG_3812.jpg

• Like 12