• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

3 hours ago, JWT said:

Have the '74 Amazongrun automatic one owner in for clean-up now.  Shaving all the knee trim off and installing euro bumpers with the rear bumper license plate lights, etc.  Side markers gone.  Cleaning it all up for a five speed install as well. Lot's to do but getting there anyway.  Always wanted this color and I enjoy the squaretail's more when they are all cleaned up, excited for this one honestly.  Wheels are done, front subframe from a tii I had is refurbished and cleaned/painted with tii front struts and brakes, rear subframe is next......aiming for October launch!

IMG_3401.JPG

IMG_3400.JPG

IMG_3397.JPG

IMG_3396.JPG

IMG_3395.JPG

IMG_3393.JPG

IMG_9481.jpg

IMG_9480.jpg

IMG_9479.jpg

IMG_9478.jpg

IMG_3812.jpg

Doing the knee trim and euro bumpers has turned into the whole car for me + my paint wasn't worth saving. Looks good!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I changed the oil and oil filter and put 16 dollars gas in my 1968 BMW 1600 and took her for a twisty road to the beach and a nice swim to start training for the Los Angeles Olympics... the car will medal for sure!!!!

• Like 6

After several months of back and forth with my registration guy and the CA DMV, my new to me ‘71 2002 is finally registered and I have plates!

IMG_3292.thumb.jpeg.ac2d8bab5d490fa0d8187686a32366d5.jpeg

• Like 14

1971 Fjord Blue BMW 2002

1984 Black Mercedes Benz 300TD

Installed the Holy Grail Labs fuse box in my '74tii.  Easy installation and works as it should. 

There's a little toggle switch so you can turn OFF the LEDs so they don't drain the battery.  Pretty cool.

Battery Hooked up but car not started:

HolyGrail1.jpg

Car running without headlights ON.

HolyGrail2.jpg

Car running with low beams ON:

HolyGrail3.jpg

Here's what it would look like if the low beams are ON and Fuse #9 (left side low beam) is blown or missing.

HolyGrail4.jpg

Car turned OFF, LED toggle switch turned OFF.  Cover on, All Good...

HolyGrail5.jpg

Edited by JohnS
  • Like 20

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

While attending the Drive4Corners meet last weekend, a guy from Holy Grail Labs started telling about the fuse box.  I said that I had one installed.  He took photos, one is on their Instagram home page, second row down, the photo with the S14 air box.

Edited by jimk
  • Like 3

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

On 5/27/2024 at 11:38 PM, Pablo M said:

Installed driver door side weatherstripping. Half was missing and made door rattle. 
discovered the alum trim the seal seats into was missing two forward rivets so I installed new. Otherwise easy install. 

image.thumb.jpeg.795443bc9dd92b4b5a3b181f29c47d45.jpeg

What size were those rivets? I've got one missing and they are tiny

23 hours ago, mmaaaaaxx said:

After several months of back and forth with my registration guy and the CA DMV, my new to me ‘71 2002 is finally registered and I have plates!

IMG_3292.thumb.jpeg.ac2d8bab5d490fa0d8187686a32366d5.jpeg

Those cross out lines on the registration reminds me of a not so funny story from my college years. My official address was still at my parent's place and so my CA registration was sent to them. My mother used a sharpie to cross out her address and forwarded the form to me in the Bay Area. Unfortunately, because of how they mailed these forms back then, she had unintentionally blacked out the address on the registration itself, rendering it invalid. And yes I did get pulled over.

• Sad 3

On 8/11/2024 at 3:59 AM, NickVyse said:

Took the rad out of my coupe for a refurb - phoned the company that last did it, but apparently it's out of warranty. Nothing's made to last any more 😆

IMG_9588.thumb.jpeg.4299dddd4dc9b943ab213d3e315b4d08.jpeg

One can never completely take the "rad" out of an '02. Although, some have tried.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Today I found a good use of a superfluous adjustable wrench. 

"Thank You", irdave, for your June 4, 2018 2002FAQ post in which you suggested this tool modification for removing and tightening two-hole strut caps. 

Two 5-mm roll/tension pins (Ace Hardware) worked well.  The closest drill bit I had was 5.1 mm.  I had to expand each pin a little to asssure a snug fit.

IMG_8488.thumb.jpeg.d006c97a252ba96bb7f7011020344913.jpegIMG_8484.thumb.jpeg.5377b54fb7d4b5a067a2b7df96bd4f06.jpeg

• Like 15

OK, I spent several days trying to get the passenger side quarter window URO seal to fit.  Multiple attempts at placing and trimming the seal to get it to stay in without wrinkles through the Hofmeister Kink.  Clearly, the URO seal is too wide at the piece that fits in the channel around the window and my thicker headliner material wasn't helping it fit any better.  I was trimming with an exacto knife, but my cuts were uneven and ragged, so I switched to a die grinder and a 2.5" sanding disk.  This was a much better approach.  After trimming the installation trick for me was lots of wire lube to just install the seal at the base of the Hofmeister Kink (leave the horizontal strip out of the channel for now) and work your way up the kink until it installs without wrinkles, (this may require some positioning of the seal at the base of the kink).  When you have the kink sitting flat and wrinkle free, you can install it to the top of the "B" pillar and measure where you need to trim it so it fits in the slot at the top of the "B" pillar.  Then install the horizontal section of the seal in the channel and measure where you need to trim it so it fits in the slot at the bottom of the "B" pillar.  Driver's side should be easier.

While my hands were recovering, I decided to install the back window as well.  Did the rope trick with the OEM seal I bought years before, used some 8" vacuum cups to place the window, wait, what, the seal wasn't fitting the rear window at all.  It took me a while to figure out that "someone" had put the seals in the wrong bags and I was trying to install the rear window with a seal for the front.  Switched it out for the right one and tried again.  The rope trick worked as advertised, but it did take an extra set of hands to push the window down as the rope was extracted.  Once in, my extra set of hands helped me with the locking strip and clip.

Mark92131

IMG_4445.JPG

IMG_4444.JPG

• Like 9

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

I have about 2500 miles since a complete rebuild, and am getting more and more confident that I am wringing out all the bugs. 

To the extent possible, I have been trying to get as many miles on the car as I can. Not only is it a daily driver, I’ve been out for 2-3 hour drives on the weekends. It’s back to being solid and reliable. But always keep in mind you’re driving at 50 year old car and every rattle, squeak, or noise might be something that needs attention. I carry a set of tools for roadside emergencies, and never leave home without my AAA membership card. 

However, yesterday I had to replace this tiny metal clip in the distributor (and reconnect the ground connection). You would be surprised how badly the car runs without it. 

Thankfully, I bought the car 30 years ago with a (literal) truckload of spare parts, which included several distributors. 

IMG_5099.jpeg

• Like 6