• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

John,

Thanks for your recognition of, not my, but, rather, my father-in-law's military service.  Pvt. John E. Wilkins was an Army medic who landed on Utah Beach on D-Day, marched across five countries, treated hundreds of wounded soldiers, and was wounded three times.  He is resting with all the other brave men and women who have served and have died for us  I am sure he would have thanked you for your kind words.

Larry

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Son of Marty said:

Yeah, very sharp points and it looks like the top of the teeth are bending but that just might be the picture.

Yep the bending is a bit of pic distortion - I just had a look.  The teeth are getting pointier than what looks like a new unit (per internet images) but still some flat at the top. 

If I could find a NOS three bolt arrangement I’d change it out whereas the later (available) sprockets need a new pump IIRC … 

Edited by zambo

5 hours ago, Dudeland said:

Check your brake booster check valve, it may be letting air in and causing #4 to lean out a bit.   Also, check for any vacuum plugs, they have a shelf life. 

I’ll check for vac leaks, thanks! 

14 hours ago, jimk said:

It always lets air in to the intake when working correctly.  It doesn't let air back flow into the booster.

Sorry you are right,  I was thinking if the brake booster wasn't holding vacuum, you would have a lean condtion in #4

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

20 hours ago, popovm said:

I am starting to work on finding more out about my engine. I’ll make a separate post about it soon. A friend brought over his new borescope so that I could try and scope the pistons to find out what they are. The camera was too fat on the Dewalt scope so I only got faint glimpses of the pistons. They looked like they had a raised portion so I at least know they aren’t flat top pistons. 

I took the opportunity to take pics of the plugs. These are in order with 1 at the top and 4 at the bottom. Thoughts? Looks ok-ish to me but what do the experts here think?  I don’t know what 4 is telling me. Running a little hotter and/or leaner than the rest? 

IMG_4521.thumb.jpeg.4b91cac0a134a438741f2d7e29234fe4.jpeg

Sorry. @jimk was right,  It is not the valve leaking, but if your brake booster is leaking air it will lean out Cyl 4. 

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

Began the process of prepping Survivor for paint. Yep, finally bit the bullet, have appointment with paint shop Oct 7.

Lot of work to get the car ready including replacing passenger fender.

Will require tons of prep at the shop, these old, crappy, oxidized layers of paint have to go so lots of sanding involved.

Not cheap 🙄

Looks like R/H tail assy rubber gasket is NLA.... Great, mine is pretty shot.

IMG_7139.JPG

IMG_7140.JPG

IMG_7141.JPG

Edited by tech71
  • Like 2

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

3 hours ago, Dudeland said:

Sorry. @jimk was right,  It is not the valve leaking, but if your brake booster is leaking air it will lean out Cyl 4. 

Gotcha, yeah, I saw Jim’s comment. I was going to do the ole trick of spraying flammable liquid or gas around hoses while the car is running and see if the idle increases. If I did that on the booster and booster hoses would that tell me if I have a leak there? The hoses to the booster are pretty crusty so maybe worth replacing those regardless.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, popovm said:

Gotcha, yeah, I saw Jim’s comment. I was going to do the ole trick of spraying flammable liquid or gas around hoses while the car is running and see if the idle increases. If I did that on the booster and booster hoses would that tell me if I have a leak there? The hoses to the booster are pretty crusty so maybe worth replacing those regardless.

I am not sure that spraying anything on the hoses would yield a result, but it is good to replace the crusty hoses in general, including the braided gas lines. 

Search the site, I think that there is a brake booster check procedure.   Start with this link @jimk provided some comments in the one below.  

• Thanks 1

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

1 hour ago, tech71 said:

Began the process of prepping Survivor for paint. Yep, finally bit the bullet, have appointment with paint shop Oct 7.

Lot of work to get the car ready including replacing passenger fender.

Will require tons of prep at the shop, these old, crappy, oxidized layers of paint have to go so lots of sanding involved.

Not cheap 🙄

Looks like R/H tail assy rubber gasket is NLA.... Great, mine is pretty shot.

IMG_7139.JPG

IMG_7140.JPG

IMG_7141.JPG

Gonna fill the rear side markers? 

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

16 minutes ago, Dudeland said:

Gonna fill the rear side markers? 

Nope 😉

I may tuck the diving board bumpers in but that’s by no means certain

• Like 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

3 minutes ago, tech71 said:

Nope 😉

I may tuck the diving board bumpers in but that’s by no means certain

When I got the car, mine were gone, along with its "originality."  I respect keeping the bumpers.   

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

7 minutes ago, pd_55 said:

@tech71 You may want to do it. My body and paint was just finished and removed all trim and filled all holes and that side marker removed adds to the car’s already great lines.

image000003.jpeg

No doubt but I’m going with stock configuration, thinking of buying a new beltline trim kit as well.

Edited by tech71
  • Like 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

20 minutes ago, pd_55 said:

@tech71 You may want to do it. My body and paint was just finished and removed all trim and filled all holes and that side marker removed adds to the car’s already great lines.

image000003.jpeg

And even lower visibility… ;)

Roundies are bad enough lighting-wise without removing lights, IMO.

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

@tech71 I can respect the direction. Couple weeks late. I just sold an excellent condition beltline and knee trim set to another FAQ member who was redoing a beautiful 2002.

@visionaut That’s funny and true about the lighting. Although I have headlights, turn signals and taillights, but it hasn’t seen past dusk. Purely decoration at this point. :)

• Like 1