• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

On 9/4/2024 at 3:21 PM, 2002#3 said:

Cleaned, derusted, blasted, coated, and reassembled headlight assemblies.  I used Lucky7's suggested way to fabricate new adjustment mechanisms (posted 12/6/23).  They work quite well.  

Link:  Headlight Bucket Color | BMW 2002 and other '02.webloc

IMG_8600.thumb.jpeg.107f498b9bb064a0a326e2a39fe55fa1.jpeg

IMG_8603.thumb.jpeg.d72399e89c4b024a740f9497424314d4.jpeg

IMG_8604.thumb.jpeg.eadb8f6871c0fdd940eb144cebf83490.jpeg

Awesome, looks great!  I’m glad it worked well for you, always fun to see somebody getting use of a write up.

What coating is that?  Looks nicely original. 

• Like 1

I got out for a nice drive today. Some traffic, some twisties, and an extended highway section at 80-90 mph. No overheating or charging issues and the steering is tight and tracking well. I think it’s pretty well sorted, but I try not to get ahead of myself. 

My fuel filter keeps clogging, which is annoying and makes the car lug. I’ll burn through this tank of gas, then I’ll need to pull the whole thing and give it a good cleaning.  I didn’t do that before installation, so it’s probably full of shop dust and other crap. Basically, I’m an idiot. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Lucky 7
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Lucky 7 said:

I got out for a nice drive today. Some traffic, some twisties, and an extended highway section at 80-90 mph. No overheating or charging issues and the steering is tight and tracking well. I think it’s pretty well sorted, but I try not to get ahead of myself. 

My fuel filter keeps clogging, which is annoying and makes the car lug. I’ll burn through this tank of gas, then I’ll need to pull the whole thing and give it a good cleaning.  I didn’t do that before installation, so it’s probably full of shop dust and other crap. Basically, I’m an idiot. 🤷‍♂️

A filter for FI captures a much smaller particle than one for a gas engine.  In addition, the pump is moving a lot more fuel thru the filter, most is recirculated.  If you can open it up and examine the contents.  If there isn't much there, it maybe the filter is on the small side capacity wise.  A suction screen in the tank pickup will reduce the change frequency of the main filter.

I hear ya about a plugged filter while on the road.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

4 hours ago, jimk said:

A filter for FI captures a much smaller particle than one for a gas engine.  In addition, the pump is moving a lot more fuel thru the filter, most is recirculated.  If you can open it up and examine the contents.  If there isn't much there, it maybe the filter is on the small side capacity wise.  A suction screen in the tank pickup will reduce the change frequency of the main filter.

I hear ya about a plugged filter while on the road.

Yeah, I’m thinking the same thing. I have one of the Earls Vapor Guard 10 micron filters. It’s supposed to flow plenty for my needs, but it is definitely on the small side. 

WWW.SUMMITRACING.COM

Free Shipping - Earl's Performance Vapor Guard Fuel Filters with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Fuel Filters at Summit...

The OEM e30 filter is a giant can, so it probably doesn’t plug as easily. I like the small Earls because I can fit it under the trunk board and it’s serviceable/reusable, but I’ve been having to clean it like every 50-100 miles. Part of that is my fault because I didn’t properly clean the gas tank, but I do wonder if the filter is undersized. The first time I cleaned it after paint there was a bunch of visible crap in it, these days it’s all invisible when I clean it. 

Anything above about 25 psi and the car runs/pulls fine, but when the filter starts plugging it’ll drop toward 10 or lower and then chug and hesitate.  Turns out the fuel pressure gauge is the single best tool I installed in the car…I can literally watch the filter get occluded. 

Pump is a new TRE 265lph, injectors are m50 17# greens and Motronic chipped to match, and there’s a new fuel pressure regulator. I think the filter and/or the dirty tank is my biggest problem.  Anybody have any thoughts?

2 hours ago, Lucky 7 said:

but when the filter starts plugging it’ll drop toward 10 or lower and then chug and hesitate.

And if you had the capability of logging, the injector duty went to 100%.

An ECU that can log is the best way to evaluate this sort of a problem

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Got the Kooglewerks center console pod and Autometer gauges installed and working (after some pre-testing in the house). So close to being done with interior! Just need some fancy floor mats. 

IMG_2249.jpeg

IMG_2337.jpeg

• Like 13

I'll tell you what I did. I went on a brief cruz before picking the child up from after school stuff, and a mile up Hana Highway the fuel pump shat the bed. Pau Hana. Kaput. Maki-died dead.

As you may know, dual side drafts like their 2.5 psi and just kind of sit and wait rather than suck in even a little fuel to get the bitch to safety.  Tow straps and Tundra, got the legend home.

# 1 Now the new fuel pump and the SPARE are equipped with plugs. Catch me once ok.

That's never gonna happen again, stowed right in with the spare relay.

# 2 Tow strap added to kit

I may have learned a nugget from hot rod guy at O'Riellys counter.

" Maybe your fuel return line got clogged and it over-heated"

Me, all Owl-eyed-, "yeah, I'll check that"

There is no fuel return line.... soon as I figure out the correct T under the hood I'll run one aft.  Those pesky trunk fuel pumps cool by fuel running, not by spinning in hot fuel at a red light.   When I got this car in 83, the return like was gone and supply was through the passenger side white plastic safety tube.

I'm going to jack her up at sunrise and see if the old hard line is there somewhere.

Can I just put a 3-way brass T between the firewall and the first carb?  Looked online theres all kinds of fancy crap to solve that.

Mahalo!

Rant over!

webmail.maui-10.jpg

• Like 3

On 9/6/2024 at 7:28 PM, Lucky 7 said:

I was going through this a while back, had an in-line glass filter kept filling up with rusty looking sand, then I got the sweet Filter King Malpassi bowl affair mounted with a pressure regulator.  One day it would not start.  Glass bowl full of crap.

Ordered a new gas tank, changed aft lower fuel lines and  the filter now r clear as Gin.  Eff that old rusty tank. Come to far to deal with that crap!

webmail.maui-9.jpg

Edited by MauiBob
  • Like 5

I installed new tie rods as part of my suspension/steering refresh, back when I bought the car and tossed the originals in the spare parts bin.  The driver's side replacement's boots failed and the joints followed suit, once dirt got inside; so, I dug out the originals and saw that both inner joints looked fine, but the outer boots were done.  So, I just ordered a new outer and spun it onto the original rod.  The originals still have dabs of yellow paint from the factory and there's quite a difference in clamp quality, compared to the replacements I'd bought.

IMG_3737.thumb.jpeg.8b1892b77bb50bf58ea1b46f7a78414d.jpeg

Now, I'm looking forward to swapping the other one back in, to make use of those beautiful clamps.  The old threads were stuck, but a propane torch loosened them up without cooking the paint.  I cleaned the threads and added a bunch of anti-seize, so they turn super smooth by hand.  I set the toe to just under 1/16" and it drives like a new car again.

IMG_3733.thumb.jpeg.77ae92c974f303fb1ac8f70fc9cc880d.jpeg

Tom

Edited by '76mintgrün'02
Adding photos
  • Like 9

Received my new console sides from Kooglewerks, getting them to Aus isn’t cheap! Stunning workmanship, Forrest and his team are total craftsmen, very pleased with them!!

Now I just need to save up for the rear battery / toolbox holder🙄😁

Edited by SydneyTii
  • Like 2