• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

Very mundane:  changed the oil and filter:  Redline 20w-50 and a nice German Mann filter--both the results of Mid-America 02Fest door prizes! After nearly 10k miles on the previous Redline fill, I was down a bit over a pint--nearly 75k miles on the rebuild.  

And while I was at it, I swapped in a new air filter, after noticing my old one had 42k miles on it, and about 5 years driving.  

Then I drove the car...what you're supposed to do with a 2002.

mike

• Like 12

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Good for you, Mike !!!  I greatly admire your energy level !!

I've been trying to change the oil & filter in the '74tii for at least 2 months.  Got everything laid out right there, I see it every day ..... and walk right on by.  

But I did get lucky 3 weeks ago and found the energy to install a new air filter.  

The good news:  I still get the BMW out on the road on a very regular basis, the old oil just gets a tad older.

Cheers,

Carl

Edited by OriginalOwner
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, OriginalOwner said:

and walk right on by.

Yep, sometimes the temptation to go for a drive wins out over maintenance!

Fixed the annoying tiny 'whoosh' of an exhaust leak after installing the bung for the O2 sensor. Those hard metal chamfered seals don't conform easily. Got it though, then went for the drive. Small victories.

• Like 2

Hacker of many things... master of none.

Gunther March 19, 1974. Hoffman Motors march 22 1974 NYC

On 9/11/2024 at 1:46 PM, SydneyTii said:

Received my new console sides from Kooglewerks, getting them to Aus isn’t cheap! Stunning workmanship, Forrest and his team are total craftsmen, very pleased with them!!

Now I just need to save up for the rear battery / toolbox holder🙄😁

terrific! problem with replacing the swiss cheese panels is that one can then hate to puncture the skins at all.

just to keep it to 5/side, i did some major contortions the next owner won't likely appreciate or repeat. ive since been trying not to think about how i could have perhaps punched only 3 holes through each side.

IMG_1603.thumb.jpeg.37044092fda656be4b108556d4f2d08a.jpeg

• Like 4

Took the week off last week to play some golf in Oregon.  Got a notice that registration was open for the SoCal Vintage, so the deadline is looming.  Ordered all the pieces to completely rebuild the doors, (last big task).  Started other interior installation tasks while I wait for parts.  Installed the grab handles and dome light.  Installed the seatbelts.  With the help of the Mrs., installed the front windshield.  The rope trick and wire pull lube for the win!  I used parachute cord I found a Michaels and used a couple of 8" suction cups to make things easier.  Still lots of tasks ahead.

Mark92131

IMG_4520.JPG

IMG_4522.JPG

IMG_4521.JPG

IMG_4519.JPG

IMG_4523.JPG

• Like 12

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

3 hours ago, Stevenc22 said:

Installed Ireland SS exhaust. Took a ton of careful adjustment but actually fit quite well in the end

Question, are you running headers, or the stock down pipe?  I am about to install the IE SS exhaust and my early test fit suggests the angle of the first pipe (between the downpipe and the resonator) will not align with the downpipe correctly.  Did you have any problems in this area?  Thank you!

Stephen Bruns

1968 1600-2  "Stuart"

1973 3.0CS  "Raven"  https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/the-raven-e9-project.26879/

1967 VW Beetle  "Templeton"

While the valve cover was off for my car’s first oil change and valve adjustment, I figured I’d make some aesthetic upgrades. Prior owner had haphazardly filled in the lines between the raised strips on the valve cover with fjord blue. I degreased and cleaned everything, masked off all the raised elements, and painted it with VHT high temp wrinkle black. It’s not 100% uniform, but it’ll do for now.

IMG_3629.thumb.jpeg.0d622d01abb755ae0886f111e85cb517.jpeg

• Like 4

1971 Fjord Blue BMW 2002

1984 Black Mercedes Benz 300TD

On 9/14/2024 at 7:51 PM, autokunst said:

Question, are you running headers, or the stock down pipe?  I am about to install the IE SS exhaust and my early test fit suggests the angle of the first pipe (between the downpipe and the resonator) will not align with the downpipe correctly.  Did you have any problems in this area?  Thank you!

I have shorty headers and stock down pipe. The only area I was having problems was creating clearance between the mid pipe muffler and CSB. It sits very close to the CSB. I actually cut down the guibo bolts to make more clearance. The mid pipe pipe just have a slight bend in it. Make sure the bend kinks towards to drivers side.

Edited by Stevenc22

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

Prep for Survivors upcoming refinish comtinues, old bashed fender removed, replacement fender prepped and ready to fit. Pulled car out of garage and pressure washed, looks pretty good under the fender.

Need to do a little prep in there, (treat some surface rust)  and remove old adhesive from hood  insulation pads. 
looks like a good time for a garage sweep out while stuff dries

01718E2C-17CB-4088-A270-07DE6896590A.jpeg

21EC6FBF-B689-4861-8645-22C217DC68F9.jpeg

0830E87A-F4F1-4180-B6F4-86DA0D390E53.jpeg

74D3AB17-4E4F-408A-BA52-0D4001F8095A.jpeg

IMG_7169.JPG

Edited by tech71
  • Like 7

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

Small tasks continue as I wait for door parts.  I don't think there is anything more nerve wracking than cutting a fresh headliner.  Thank goodness I don't have any more cutting to do.  Finished up installing the rearview mirror and sun visors.  There was a head scratching moment during the sun visor install.  Turns out I bought them from Europe and didn't realize they were for a right-hand drive car, so now I have a cosmetic mirror on the driver's side sun visor so I can pull it down and check how big my smile will be when this car is finally finished.

Mark92131

IMG_4526.JPG

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

1 hour ago, JQ02 said:

a little bummed at how many BMW owners passed me without acknowledging

Not surprised... even back in the late 80's driving my 72 Bavaria I'd flash an oncoming bimmer driver and they'd go by with a slightly panicked look, "what? a cop ahead?!"

• Like 1

Hacker of many things... master of none.

Gunther March 19, 1974. Hoffman Motors march 22 1974 NYC