• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need restoration advice

Rehabceo

I have a '74 2002tii - Fjord Blue, Gobi Tan with A/C.  VIN shows it was built in July 1974 and delivered in October 1974 in San Diego. I am planning to have a fairly extensive restoration that includes high quality painting, trim replace, re-chromed euro-bumpers interior restoration including dash restoration, sound insulation, and so on.  The car appears to have no serious rust issues per the BMW mechanic that has had it up on the lift for work and was asked to inspect it.  Some of the body panel gaps aren't even, and the door brake on the passenger door has broken free from the front fender area.  There is extensive documentation of work performed over the years by the 3 previous owners.  The car has about 285,000 miles on it.  The engine was rebuilt for performance in 1979 and a 5 speed transmission added in 1982.

Here's my delimma.  The car was in an accident in 1978 and the front right fender was repaired along with the nose.  The engine rebuild was in '79 and trans upgrade in '82 by the same owner.  Around '85 the car changed owners,  but stayed in CA.  Service records are still very good with a complete high quality repaint and interior refurbishment in 1990.  Records are still good and car was well maintained with lots of mileage added.  In 1997 the car was apparently in another accident and the repairs were not so good, though fairly extensive.  Car was repaired including any rust issues and the owner didn't sell it until 2007.  It went to Santa Fe, NM.  The new owner continued to maintain it, modify suspension, and add mileage.  

Now, I have the car (since April 2015).  I love the color combination, and the performance improvements as well as the working A/C.  I also purchased the car at a fair price (IMHO).  My question is - with the cars history - is it an adequate canidate for a fairly comprehensive and expensive restoration.  I plan to keep the car for a while and drive it in rallys and take to car shows.  I expect to spend more on the car than it will be worth when completed, but also plan to enjoy the extra cost over the coming years.  I don't want to spend a lot of money on cosmetic restoration of this car if all of its history indicates that it may just not be a good candidate for an extensive restoration.  

Advice?  Are there any issues I should look for that would make me terminate the restoration and look for another 2002 tii?

Take in in to a reputable shop for a complete inspection, including frame rails, and perhaps a frame alignment check. Once you get a bill of good health, you are ready to start spending. The fact that you are willing to spend more than it will be worth , when completed, means that you understand the process. By doing the former, you will understand what the process costs...

I am soon to begin a restoration of a Fjord / Gobi '74 tii that was painted black under warranty.

Edited by otisdog

21 minutes ago, otisdog said:

Take in in to a reputable shop for a complete inspection, including frame rails, and perhaps a frame alignment check. Once you get a bill of good health, you are ready to start spending. The fact that you are willing to spend more than it will be worth , when completed, means that you understand the process. By doing the former, you will understand what the process costs...

I am soon to begin a restoration of a Fjord / Gobi '74 tii that was painted black under warranty.

The restoration shop I will be using is reputable.  I don't believe there's any frame damage as it is mentioned as an eval item in the 1997 evaluation document and determined to be ok.  My concern is that the '97 work performed, while well documented, seems to have resulted in less than high quality work.  

A quick and dirty way to tell if the frame has been kinked is to measure wheel center to wheel center on each side.  pick a consistent spot on both sides to place your tape and see if there's any difference in wheelbase.  Then you'll need to determine if the problem lies with a bent subframe or a bent body shell.  

If you see a significant difference, then have a frame shop check it more carefully.  But the accident damage you describe, if properly repaired shouldn't affect the car's restoration-worthiness.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

6 hours ago, mike said:

A quick and dirty way to tell if the frame has been kinked is to measure wheel center to wheel center on each side.  pick a consistent spot on both sides to place your tape and see if there's any difference in wheelbase.  Then you'll need to determine if the problem lies with a bent subframe or a bent body shell.  

If you see a significant difference, then have a frame shop check it more carefully.  But the accident damage you describe, if properly repaired shouldn't affect the car's restoration-worthiness.

mike

Will do.  Thanks for your input.

17 hours ago, Stevenc22 said:

Yes it probably is a good candidate. Any car is going to have surprises, at least you know what yours are. 

+1

Call me cynical, but you are in at least as good position as you would be with 9 out 10 forty+ year old cars.  Most of the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. owners who claim their car has "never been hit" just don't know the truth.  Heck, original owners don't know what happened between the factory and dealer delivery! We bought these cars to drive the piss out of them, and most of the accidents occurred during those early high-mileage years.

If you love the car and understand you'll never recover 100% of your restoration costs, just do it...now...so you can enjoy the car as soon as possible!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

1 hour ago, Conserv said:

+1

Call me cynical, but you are in at least as good position as you would be with 9 out 10 forty+ year old cars.  Most of the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. owners who claim their car has "never been hit" just don't know the truth.  Heck, original owners don't know what happened between the factory and dealer delivery! We bought these cars to drive the piss out of them, and most of the accidents occurred during those early high-mileage years.

If you love the car and understand you'll never recover 100% of your restoration costs, just do it...now...so you can enjoy the car as soon as possible!

Regards,

Steve

Spot on/no-brainer - do-it, and suffice to say its much better off than this 911T (all yours for $26.5)...looks like a square shot on a telephone pole to me, some one will probably call me out for "thread diversion" .... couldn't help myself when i saw this baby for sale recently.

7355_p2_l.jpg

I don't have any good advice, but I am in the process of restoring a non-tii fjordblau on gobi tan myself, so I'll give you my thoughts. Although Conserv always makes me think twice about this, I believe I was fairly fortunate and bought an 02 that had never been in any kind of significant accident. I had it sorted mechanically right off the bat, and although my plan was to get the paint and body work and Euro bumpers on asap, I have been having so much fun driving it as is, I keep putting off spending any more money on it (except for the never ending string of spare parts, wheels, ans steering wheels I keep buying ?).

Maybe spend some time with it first and see what you really feel like doing to it, what it really needs and what really matters to you? Mine being a non-tii ~10K car im pretty sure once I get finished spending $30K+ on it it will still be worth about 10K, but I don't care so much, I wanted one for 20 years and happy to finally have one. They are fun cars, make sure whatever you do you'll be able to enjoy it, which sounds like you want to do. BTW, there is like 3-4 different shades of fjord blue I think - all with the same code - so make sure you check to get one you like. Good luck with whatever you decide! J

1969 2002 Granada, 2nd owner

1976 2002 Fjordblau (sold)

A few too many steering wheels

2 hours ago, markmac said:

Spot on/no-brainer - do-it, and suffice to say its much better off than this 911T (all yours for $26.5)...looks like a square shot on a telephone pole to me, some one will probably call me out for "thread diversion" .... couldn't help myself when i saw this baby for sale recently.

7355_p2_l.jpg

LOL I know that backdrop anywhere...."Beverly Hills Car Club"....which are actually located at a craptastic warehouse in one of the worst parts of east LA.

Yougottit......"needs work....lots of potential".....common theme it seems from them. 

Back to the project.  A quality body shop will have the equipment and tools to deal with whatever and it really doesn't sound too bad to me.  Good luck with the project.

5 hours ago, Conserv said:

+1

Regards,

Steve

thanks Steve!  I just bought a new Mercedes SUV and know in 3 years it will be worth at least 40% less.  I think of my expenditure in the 2002 restoration the same way.  I improve it, drive it, enjoy it, and try not to worry about whether I've spent to much.  I looked for the 2002tii that someone else spent too much on and hoped to get a deal.  Lots of others are looking for the same car.  My wife and I hope to drive the car in the Texas 1000 rally in November.  If it's not ready, I have a '62 Mercedes 220se coupe to drive that is comfortable, reliable, good looking, but not near as much fun to drive.  

Just now, Rehabceo said:

thanks Steve!  I just bought a new Mercedes SUV and know in 3 years it will be worth at least 40% less.  I think of my expenditure in the 2002 restoration the same way.  I improve it, drive it, enjoy it, and try not to worry about whether I've spent to much.  I looked for the 2002tii that someone else spent too much on and hoped to get a deal.  Lots of others are looking for the same car.  My wife and I hope to drive the car in the Texas 1000 rally in November.  If it's not ready, I have a '62 Mercedes 220se coupe to drive that is comfortable, reliable, good looking, but not near as much fun to drive.  

220se at Dunleith.JPG