• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 2002 with 44k - anyone check this out?

Price: $9500

Description:

Looking into this car in Redwood City... repainted, interior in original and pristine condition.  Engine needs some major work. 

Surface rust in spots, wheels are no good.  Anyone check this out or see anything concerning?  

I'll post link https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/d/rare-classic-bmw-speed-blue/6228943683.html

01616_9w4oFNdJxI8_600x450.jpg

It's also on eBay currently, with no reserve.  And although I'm not a buyer, and only saw the photos, I like its possibilities!  And the seller's description -- although un-informed in some areas -- seems quite fair and honest.

VIN 1672446 is probably a February 1970-manufactured car.  It was probably originally Granada red with a black interior.  BMW Archives (info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com) can quickly confirm.  The service booklet showing a September 1969 delivery is obviously from a different car; the car was manufactured after September 1969 and note there are two handbooks, one probably accompanying the service booklet collected from a second car.  The steel rims are probably 5 1/2" x 13" rims from an e21, although they might be 5" x 13" rims from a 1974-76 '02.

Given both the re-paint and dual sidedrafts, I'd view the actual mileage as "unknown".  The interior is excellent for a 47-year-old interior but it's not mint.  That driver's seat has splits at multiple heat-sealed seams.  A good upholsterer can patch it up but the perforated vinyl on the driver's seat cushion has, quite frankly, reached the end of its life.  $9,500 seems quite ambitious -- I can't tell the extent of the car's rust -- but I had a positive reaction to the car in general.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I agree on the seller's asking price.  I've seen a few of his ads up before.  For around 10 you want to see what the person has done, get some confidence it is 2/3rd or some way there and for that price the buyer's willing to take the car to the next level.  This car needs a lot.  Typically I guesstimate, $3-4k out the door on immediate upgrades to take the car on the road.  That's getting the car up there in price.  Around $6-7 with all that engine work is about right. 

Nice detective work conkitchen.  I few people on here knew of Evan and sent a few messages.  This site is really helpful as 

the 2002 is really a car that is not friendly to noobs.  Read the MacCartney book and others.  Have a good friend who owns one and is a serious enthusiast and its a lot to process in just buying a car.  So thanks.   Feedback from forum and my friend: "Noticed a lot that I missed: wrong valve cover, probably not original engine,  wrong center console for a 70, hole in muffler, srut bearings shot, and probably all the rubber suspension pieces need to come out, Lic plate lights broken, wheels nonoriginal."   So I'm grateful for all the intel.  

Saw this post on this forum and it would need a lot of engine work, there is some body rust, but doable and something I could probably get at a decent price then buy parts (hopefully) to get it roadworthy.  Anything you guys see on here it helps.  

Edited by Michael Accorsi

9 hours ago, Michael Accorsi said:

....the 2002 is really a car that is not friendly to noobs....

My opinion, Michael?  Most 50-year-old cars are not friendly to noobs!  A lot happens to any car over that time period -- I saw '02's junked on account of rust by the late '70's -- and you just have to decide which flaws you can best tolerate or rectify...

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

3 hours ago, Michael Accorsi said:

Agreed, I have an old Triumph TR6 and its hasn't really grown on me, I've wanted a 2002 for 30+ years always looking and haven't really found "the car" yet.  

Looking at this one - 

It's also hard to judge the '74 from the photos, Michael.  I'd assume the black strip along the bottom of the doors and quarters was devised largely as a "quick hide" of rust.  Neither the trunk nor the engine compartment, however, look terrible!

Despite owning a square taillight -- which I've loved for its 41 years -- there is still a part of me that places measurably greater value on round taillight cars.  If both cars had their original engines -- I don't know why I care, but I do -- and the rust situation was approximately equivalent, I would take the '70 over the '74 any day of the week.  Period.  The '70 has more upside potential and it's got the pared-down design of the earliest cars.  If you're doing a serious restomod thing, however -- fender flares et al -- then the '74 is probably a better car to modify: the number of square taillight cars far exceeds the number of round taillights.   Although lots of engines have been swapped over these 50 years, you don't know until you see the engine number.  Verifying the engine number is too simple of an exercise to ever assume that an engine is or is not original.  I've been surprised in both directions by cars I've examined.

Good luck and best regards,

Steve

Saw the car, it has too much rust, engine needs everything - corrosion and rust everywhere, interior's pretty nice, but car's way over priced, needs paint, control arms, bushings everywhere, electrical work, wheels/tires, was rear ended so rear panel needs to be replaced.  Pass.