• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PSA re: “Value Threads”

AceAndrew

I agree. I had cart blanche when I went to find a toy.  I could have had a M, Porche, Merc, etcc... but I just grooved on the cool mellow 2002 vibe which was reinforced by the folks on this board.  2002's iconic , and what comes with that, in a world full or people desperately searching for who they are, is people willing to buy a image , name drop and speculate. 

The place for these conversations may be the "off topic" section

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

this country is all about the money.

(apologies to the rest of the world)

I wouldn't pay more than 2002 for a 2002.

/thread

I DO think threads by people asking 'I'm looking at this car for #5000. 

Is it priced fairly?  What should I look at' have some pertinent value.

But as to how much I personally care about

what a market that I have no interest in entering thinks

about what I post on a bbs somewhere?

/care

These are cars. Not hog futures.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Speculation seems to eventually harm markets and supporting businesses when the bubble bursts (Oil, housing, muscle cars) as the dollar chasers inevitably look for the next "thing" to hype up and make money on.  The topic of this thread reminds me of relationship between HGTV and the housing bubble; we are not the cause but certainty a factor.  I can remember the realtor.com commercials trying to encourage people that now was "still a great time to buy a house" as Rome was burning in the background (prices were dropping like comets on Jupiter).  It seems that some of us don't want to be "FAQTV" and contribute to the problem... I tend to agree. 

I'm waiting for Velocity episodes of "Flip this 2002" to commence... We just need some Ken and Barbie hosts to attract the "right" viewers.

Greg

7 hours ago, mike said:

t...hey'll no longer be desirable to us as owners and will pass into the hands of "automotive investors" to flip in endless rounds of high end auctions (as what's happened to 356 Porsches and XKE Jags, for example.)  

Hope that doesn't happen with our cars...and we can do something about it.

mike

Dont forget the VW bus. I have longed for a bus for a while now but I have been priced right out that idea. They are going for such stellar prices, its takes away part of the fun and whole reason of owning the bus to begin with

Edited by arminyack

29 minutes ago, Greg_Tchilinguirian said:

...It seems that some of us don't want to be "FAQTV" and contribute to the problem... 

I tend to agree that this forum has played a much bigger role in enticing profit only seekers as opposed to hobbyists seeking technical advise.  Certainly my belief can be seen evident on prices in the parts for sale threads. 

126369-f.jpg

But what do I know

I had $1500 left on my credit limit when I went to find a toy.  And 2 books of food stamps.

So for those looking to sell, it's important to give the impression that this site's

a valuable resource, very supporting, the 2002 is an ironclad icon, yadda yadda.

However, when I'm in the market to buy, I'll go back and edit all my posts to

reflect what a cheap, dangerous shitbox the 2002 really was.

I'll make millions by manipulating the market!

...bah, I don't buy it.

much.

t

who'd be SOL without e46fanatics right now.

Edited by TobyB
  • Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I very much agree with Andrew on this point of interest. I have always driven cars that were fun to work on, and delivered soulful performance. 

In the Porsche world the emphasis on value is upsetting, and annoying. There is a local retired stock broker who keeps leaving notes on my car's asking me if I want to sell them. He has retired from Wall Street but enjoys the speculation of old Porsches and BMWs. I am all for people making a decent living, however, I find the number of middleman and assholes flooding the true sports car market sad and depressing. I think that the "value obsession" trend is annoying. If you love BMW 2002's do it, go ahead buy one and drive the f*cking wheels off of it and enjoy it. You will at least be alive, and living with feeling and passion.

If you want to make a good investment go to Vanguard, which has extraordinarily low fees. Let this beautiful forum continue to provide excellent commonsense knowledge, and celebration of the soul /enjoyment of driving a 2002. Dryvit hard. Tune it. Break it. Fix it. Smile and celebrate the path and journey. Don't dwell on the monkey like societal value obsession.

I personally believe that this forum transcends that type of societal excrement. If you're lucky enough to sell your car when you can no longer get into it and shift and drive it, and have some money that the nursing home can take away from you in a month or two, that's great. I think you'd be better off leaving your 2002 to the local teenager who really appreciated it . This issue goes to the heart of value, and quality of life. Driving your 2002 is a total Zen like experience. If you want to get caught up in monkey mind valuation, fine go ahead, do whatever makes you happy. Zen Buddhists will pray for your happiness either way.  DSCN1275.thumb.JPG.1dbd00f66d260c35a65e3b5d89fe1d6a.JPGIf you want to do something smart with your money, buy a good used Honda Civic and don't waste money on old sports cars.

Personally I'd rather die crashing my 2002 after a night of great food, hopefully some sex and sleep, maybe on my way to celebrate the car on a race track or just work on it. They say that it is a beautiful thing to die doing something that you love doing. Maybe I could die after a spirited drive in the twisties, oversteering, then having a picnic, sex, and a nap in my 2002. Oh well we all need goals in life, and death.

There is a beautiful novel written by Nevil Shute, "On the beach"  my dad gave it to me to read when I was bored one afternoon at age 11. The novel was about nuclear Armageddon and how people chose to end their life before the cloud of nuclear waste came to Australia. My favorite character climbed into his vintage Ferrari Formula One car and ate sleeping pills if I remember correctly.

Oh well, the main thing is to enjoy the ride.

Best regards, Peter

• Like 5

The First thing is to have an untroubled mind. The Second thing is to know your purpose. Illigitimati Non Carborundum

• 4 weeks later...

i can't top anything Peter said.  spot on.

i'll be beating on my 2002 with a big stupid grin on my face until either it or I can't take it anymore.  don't really care about how much it is worth or "preserving" it for someone else to use.....it is a car, not art.

Edited by mlytle
  • Like 2

2xM3

On 7/30/2017 at 9:32 PM, tisalover said:

If you love BMW 2002's do it, go ahead buy one and drive the f*cking wheels off of it and enjoy it. You will at least be alive, and living with feeling and passion.

If you want to make a good investment go to Vanguard, which has extraordinarily low fees. Let this beautiful forum continue to provide excellent commonsense knowledge, and celebration of the soul /enjoyment of driving a 2002. Dryvit hard. Tune it. Break it. Fix it. Smile and celebrate the path and journey.

^this

best comment on FAQ 2017

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

On 7/28/2017 at 10:45 AM, danco_ said:

Speaking of value threads, I should sell my 73 Malaga tii. Wonder what it is worth? 

Okay, spit out the coffee when I read this!

Dude, your ironic comments are always worth a chuckle..:D

• Like 1

Life is short, enjoy the ride!
L'Ultimo Ciclista, 200Km race, Nove Colli 2012

1976 Mint Grun

Philip

Nobody, and I mean nobody is checking out my '76 "diving boards" machine. Ha, ha, ha..

Don't care what it's worth, but really like driving it and tinkering with it(as others have mentioned in this thread)...

Life is short, enjoy the ride!
L'Ultimo Ciclista, 200Km race, Nove Colli 2012

1976 Mint Grun

Philip

21 hours ago, bublinki said:

Okay, spit out the coffee when I read this!

Dude, your ironic comments are always worth a chuckle..:D

Funny that you quote me, because I just sold the Malaga car to a very prominent member of the BMWCCA upper management team. He is very happy and I hear he got sideways on his first few corners while driving away from my home. 

Time for a new project. I'm thinking Taiga Green 73 tii. I need to start on that project. 

• Like 1

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards