• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alloys

Daver

Available from the factory as part of the Sport Paket option on European touring models.  In the U.S., simply a dealer accessory, and thus intended for all '02's.  Manufactured back in the day and today by the same company: F.P.S.  Original-era examples have the "FPS" on the rear while modern re-pops place the "FPS" on the front face.

You'll need the center caps as well: still available from BMW.

The first two photos below show my four modern re-pops.  I gave up looking for an old set because they're really quite rare and, given repair, truing, and refinishing costs for a period set, the new re-pops are easy and relatively cheap.  And the third and fourth photos below show my period spare rm.

Regards,

Steve

IMG_2707.JPG

IMG_2716.JPG

IMG_2861.JPG

IMG_2862.JPG

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

9 hours ago, Conserv said:

Available from the factory as part of the Sport Paket option on European touring models.  In the U.S., simply a dealer accessory, and thus intended for all '02's.

Well said Steve. This myth of them being tii alloys needs to die.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

3 hours ago, ray_ said:

Well I was joking about that a little, Les, since "tii clock" is arguably a misnomer.

Hmmm, Trouble-Maker!

I saw what you were doing and tried hard to simply ignore it!

But a "tii clock" doesn't share the characteristics of the early OEM alloy rims.  It came from the factory solely on tii sub-models.  And it was never marketed as an aftermarket dealer accessory even though a number of exceedingly clever owners of other sub-models, contrary to all good sense and displaying more than a dash of arrogance, mounted them "tii style" in lesser sub-models....

Although very similar to the "ti clock", the "tii clock" doesn't have the bright trim ring of the ti version.  Of course, since the square taillight cars used a different clock face and added an additional hood or shroud, there are two versions of the "tii clock"....

Below: tii clock in lesser sub-model, i.e., 1976 2002...owner unknown...

Best regards,

Steve

IMG_3089.JPG

2 hours ago, Swiss 2002Tii said:

Do you use any clear coat or powder coat on these when they're new?

They were painted silver from the factory originally -- i.e., the period versions.  It was not a two-stage paint, and it wasn't a glorious, deep finish, as we are now inclined to apply when restoring all rims.  Although BMW was using two-stage body paints for its metallic colors, e.g., Polaris metallic, from at least ca. 1973, rims did not receive the same attention as the bodies.   I say 1973 only because that marked the introduction of the "PVC-frei" metallics, which were certainly two-stage.  I'm not certain if the predecessor metallics were two-stage paints.  By 1977, many U.S. body shops were not yet comfortable with two-stage paints to actually use them after repairs.  In that year, my BMW dealer repainted my '76's left door from the belt line molding to the window -- a passing car had knocked my mirror into the door and off the car -- but only applied the flat silver-gray base coat and called it "completed".  It stood out like a sore thumb but I had to make half a dozen calls to find a body shop ready to use two-stage paint.

My single period version was professionally painted by the rim shop I used in Atlanta.  It's nothing fancy or special.

I've never analyzed the finish on my modern versions. however.  They're probably painted rather than powdercoated.  And they don't have a deep glorious finish, although they look fine.  Two-stage?  I don't know.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1 hour ago, Conserv said:

Hmmm, Trouble-Maker!

I saw what you were doing and tried hard to simply ignore it!

But a "tii clock" doesn't share the characteristics of the early OEM alloy rims.  It came from the factory solely on tii sub-models.  And it was never marketed as an aftermarket dealer accessory even though a number of exceedingly clever owners of other sub-models, contrary to all good sense and displaying more than a dash of arrogance, mounted them "tii style" in lesser sub-models....

Although very similar to the "ti clock", the "tii clock" doesn't have the bright trim ring of the ti version.  Of course, since the square taillight cars used a different clock face and added an additional hood or shroud, there are two versions of the "tii clock"....

Below: tii clock in lesser sub-model, i.e., 1976 2002...owner unknown...

Best regards,

Steve

IMG_3089.JPG

Here fishy! :D

Unless I'm wrong, I believe the ti clock has a different face than the tii clock.

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

1 hour ago, ray_ said:

....Unless I'm wrong, I believe the ti clock has a different face than the tii clock.

Cheers,

Now THAT'S useful information!

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

Luckily my 73tii that I purchased from the original owner after his 25 years of ownership was smart enough to save the original wheels under a tarp in his garage after mounting some E30 bottlecap wheels on the car that he was sure I would be crazy about. I asked him," What wheels came on the car when you bought it?". He replied," Oh some mag wheels".  I asked what they looked like, then opened the trunk knowing that if they were factory mags, there would be a matching spare in the trunk and sure enough there was!