• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Introducing "PB&J"

fastricky

Hi all,

I've been a long time lurker, recently I have been chiming in on this board and never formally introduced myself or my car.

I'm 53, and have wanted an 02 since I was a teenager back in the early '80s. I've come close on a number of occasions, but it never came to fruition. I did own a new '91 318is back in the day and that displaced the need for an '02. Next came a Boxster. And then I was sans car for many years as we now live in NYC (all other car ownership was while we lived in Toronto). Recently my wife and I traveled to LA and I was able to rent a lovely '71 4-speed and the love affair was rekindled. Upon returning home, I restarted a search for an '02, came across the car I wanted and took delivery a little over a month ago. I had it delivered straight to a local shop as I'd like to have a 5-speed installed, plus it needed new bushings etc so I'm having the shop go over it with a fine toothed comb. The shop claims it'll be ready by the end of August (I've yet to drive it!), and by my math (which is to double any estimate and add 30) I expect to be driving 'ol PB&J by Oct.

In any case, here's some pics taken by the seller. It's a '72 tii, with 37k orig miles. It sat for 20 years in Wisconsin. The previous owner did a good job restoring the paint. The interior is 100% original (!), the dash has cracks so I'm having that replaced with a very clean Euro dash. As well, I'm adding a Frigiking A/C unit (I hate hot weather and that's the time of year this will mostly be driven). Also am adding a turbo steering wheel, and Campy-style alloys. All work will maintain a stock look, and I'll be keeping the original center console, 4-speed, etc.

OK enough of my yakking, here are the pics:

Screen Shot 2017-07-25 at 8.46.36 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-07-25 at 8.46.49 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-07-25 at 8.47.03 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-07-25 at 8.47.24 PM.png

'72 tii.jpg

51.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-06-06 at 8.27.03 PM.png

027-Chris_Michelson_1972_BMW_2002_tii_028.JPG

010-Chris_Michelson_1972_BMW_2002_tii_011.JPG

015-Chris_Michelson_1972_BMW_2002_tii_016.JPG

• Like 3

Thanks all! The dash in those pics was wrapped and by the time the car came to me, was coming loose in numerous spots. That, plus the sorry condition of the CV boots, bushings and some other minor details had me successfully renegotiate the price of the car with the seller, who was a total gentleman. So I'm replacing the dash.. but thanks for the suggestion. - Rich

Wow! Pretty!

And your interior door handles are switched left to right (and right to left) :D

For the a/c, do read up and search this forum. Do a parallel flow condenser and a Sanden clone compressor with a Hobiedave bracket.  

I have a Frigiking as well. My only complaint (now) is that i'd like a bit more blower speed. You might research to see if a faster blower motor is available.

Also, be sure your heater vents are sealing :) 

Cheers,

IMG_20170725_190807885.jpg

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

3 hours ago, ray_ said:

Wow! Pretty!

And your interior door handles are switched left to right (and right to left) :D

For the a/c, do read up and search this forum. Do a parallel flow condenser and a Sanden clone compressor with a Hobiedave bracket.  

I have a Frigiking as well. My only complaint (now) is that i'd like a bit more blower speed. You might research to see if a faster blower motor is available.

Also, be sure your heater vents are sealing :) 

Cheers,

IMG_20170725_190807885.jpg

Ha I'll look into the handle cockup! I did get the HobieDave bracket and added all the additional items as per his recommendation. The Frigiking console I got was missing the blower motor so I could definitely use a recommendation on that... I'll check the heater vents too, thanks for the input!

Edited by fastricky

Beautiful '02!  Hope to see it at The Glen sometime!

1970 Granada 1600 "The 16",  2000 528i Siena Red "The 5",  1968 Mustang 289 Muscle Car Blue, 

1999 318ti M Package Green,  1982 633CSi 5 speed Blue,  2011 550i M Package Black (6 speed manual)