• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wanted: a roof.

rjd2

4 hours ago, rjd2 said:

Hi all, here's what's probably an odd one. I'm looking to buy a good roof from a donor car. my body/welding guy thinks it's be much easier to weld in place a good roof, rather than re-work the dented one. seems crazy to me, but i'm at least exploring it,at his behest. let me know if you may have one. thanks!

Your location might be relevant.  Strictly German in Braselton, GA generally has a few roofs lying around:  your choice between sunroof and slicktop!

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

No problem, everyone seems to think it can be worked out with body tools.  My experience with big expanses of sheet metal like roof, hood and decks is those wrinkes extend much further out to the surrounding flat surfaces and inner supports than one would think, and pulling hammering etc often just makes it worse.  if you can find someone with the experience and patience to work it out, go for it. I bought a 02 parts car not knowing it had been crashed so hard  the inner part of the rear wheel wellwas wrinkled.  The bodyman who worked on it pulled/pushed(portapower?) most of it and then applied  about 1/4 inch bondo.  did a good job but it was still filler and the serious damage to the inner well wasnt touched.  just an example of a cosmetic fix but serious damage couldnt be fixed without some cutting  and welding.

Gale H

Gale H.

71 2002 daily driver

70 2002 malaga (pc)

83 320i (pc)